helmet removal at filling staions

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Brenhden

Re: helmet removal at filling staions

Post by Brenhden »

I'm not really sure what the problem here is, when you enter private property you are politely obliged to abide by the rules of that property. I wouldn't let a stranger in my house with a motorcycle helmet on.

If you disagree with the rules of a petrol station don't go. The poor shop worker is almost always just doing what they are told by management.

We have it easy over here. I've been to stations in Belgium where they wouldn't let the fuel pump until I went into the shop and paid in advance, which was extremely confusing for me as there was a big language barrier.

I think I understand the argument of discrimination against bikers in comparison to people in Burkas but its easy to imagine that the rule has developed through experience for fuel stations and insurance policies.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
Mike Horton

Post by Mike Horton »

Brenhden wrote: ↑Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:50 am I'm not really sure what the problem here is, when you enter private property you are politely obliged to abide by the rules of that property. I wouldn't let a stranger in my house with a motorcycle helmet on.

If you disagree with the rules of a petrol station don't go. The poor shop worker is almost always just doing what they are told by management.

We have it easy over here. I've been to stations in Belgium where they wouldn't let the fuel pump until I went into the shop and paid in advance, which was extremely confusing for me as there was a big language barrier.

I think I understand the argument of discrimination against bikers in comparison to people in Burkas but its easy to imagine that the rule has developed through experience for fuel stations and insurance policies.
I agree, the forecourt workers are getting a lot more armed robberies and make offs. I know it's a ball ache especially in the cold but ill always comply. Their property their rules. I have a flip front and 9 times out of 10 a thumbs up to the counter and look into the camera and they are usually fine. I know everyone on here is great but out there are a lot of nasties who ate note than happy to flout the law and cause people some serious harm.
I use 2 or 3 garages and they know my face now so I don't normally get any issues. Happy refuelling!
OB1

Post by OB1 »

I'm with Brenhden on this: it's just polite when going into someone's place of work to remove your helmet and it takes just a few seconds to take off and replace. Arguing with the cashier, who's probably on minimum wage and has to deal with crap from customers every day, isn't going to do anyone any good.

Say you were popping in to the pharmacist to pick up a prescription, would you walk in there with your helmet on? I mean, you're just popping in and wont be there for more than 30 seconds or a minute... what is the difference between that and refuelling?

As has already been said: if you don't want to remove your helmet, you don't have to buy your fuel there... just as they don't have to serve you if you don't comply with their rules... whether you agree with them or not.

I've been riding for 35 years and I've never been asked to remove my helmet by anyone at a petrol station because I have always removed it as soon as I got off the bike.
A β€’ AND β€’ B β€’ CDN β€’ CH β€’ CN β€’ CY β€’ CYM β€’ CZ β€’ D β€’ DK β€’ E β€’ EST β€’ ET β€’ F β€’ FIN β€’ GR β€’ HK β€’ HR β€’ I β€’ IL β€’ IRL β€’ L β€’ LT β€’ LV β€’ M β€’ N β€’ N-IRL β€’ NL β€’ P β€’ PL β€’ Q β€’ RSM β€’ S β€’ SCO β€’ SCV β€’ SLO β€’ TR β€’ USA β€’ YU
justrtw.com
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Yup with Bren on this.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Thanks guys---I've seen previous comments about the Co-op--and the point about full face coverage with cloth is a great one--next time I think I'll try it with a balaclava just to be impish. I did actually print off a bit of info for them and went back later in "civvies" to deliver it for informative reading. The funny thing is, as I said, I've been going to the same petrol station for 14 years or so and never been asked once, and with a grey beard and moustache--the moustache is clearly visible so I can't be classed as some poor youf. I guess the attendants are are only being told what to do and its not really their fault. I think that I might avoid the problem by simply filling up my 5 gallon jerry can and decanting from that at home--never been questioned about filling up proper containers(its rural and people run garden machinery etc). Now filling up a container is probably the most dodgy way of decanting fuel unless you are careful.
onslowe

Post by onslowe »

These days petrol stations are often staffed by 1 person, maybe a young woman, so it could be quite intimidating for them to have a fully togged up biker approach without them being able to see their "friendly" face. I think if we want to get a better image we will have to take the initiative and take off helmets etc, shouldn't have to be like that but these days that's how it is. I always get off the bike these days as I feel it's safer for me but petrol tank design is not ideal for allowing a full tank to be achieved when on a side stand. I do think all customers faces should be visible but of course that's racist I guess. There are worse things for bikers to worry about without getting stressed by filling up.
Apophis

Post by Apophis »

Just wrap a scarf round your helmet and tell them its a Burka they will not say a word then in fear of being sent to jail
Every day is an adventure
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Just had this reply from Co-op "head office"
"Dear Chris

Thank you for getting in touch with us.

May I begin by offering our sincere apologies for any upset or offence that has been caused as this is never our intention.

You are quite right there is no law requirement that any fuel station has to ask you to remove a helmet when you are purchasing fuel. However my colleague should have explained that it is the Co-ops policy to ask a customer to remove their helmet when they are dispensing fuel as it is an age restricted product and that is why we would ask a member of the public to remove their helmet or any other headwear that would restrict our colleagues making a decision on whether the customer is sixteen or over. This aside, our colleagues should always carry any requests out in a polite and professional manner and also ensure the information they are providing is clear.

Your feedback has been shared with the Operations Manager and has been reviewed with the store team to prevent and future issues of this nature.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me."
Now I've replied because by implication this means that:
1. Its at the attendants discretion.
2. It also applies to Niqabs, hoodies, caps, scarfs and so on--I bet they wouldn't dare ask a niqab wearer to disrobe?
3, I was also told that they are also getting the "no helmet" signs printed.
The reply is sensible and is clearly intended NOT to discriminate--but by default will always be for religious reasons--and seems at odds with the local "rules".
I have no problem with a discretionary approach-old bloke , and on a big bike etc--I just wonder about their ulterior motive as how many "under age" people do they actually serve in rural Lincolnshire?--I'll keep you posted!
Ksithumper

Post by Ksithumper »

Their place their rules maybe, but I am the customer. If I don't get good service they lose a customer, simples.
On a cold winter ride home from work I am not going to take off my nice warm helmet etc just to please some jobsworth.
It seldom happens, but I've been asked twice and have never been back to either garage - ditto the idiot who told me I couldn't fill my 10l plastic fuel can (bought in France and carrying a CE Mark).

Have to say my 3 most regular stops are a Co-op station that couldn't care less about helmets or indeed the state of their forecourt (and appears to have zero staff continuity), and two Shell stations where the staff are chatty and friendly and also happy to serve me with or without a skid lid, whether bike car or van. One even gave me a free coffee when it was snowy recently.
ggp59

Post by ggp59 »

It might be their place their rules etc, but when it blasts out of the loudspeakers 'oi you! The knobber on the bike who can't even afford a car. Take that hat off now as you're obviously going to do a runner without paying' (well that's how seem to translate it :D )
I just clear off somewhere else - job done and everyone's happy!

But how's this for daft rules.
A mate filled his KTM with diesel (the plum!! :D ) so took the tank off and got rid of it
He then carried the tank back to the pump to fill with petrol, and they wouldn't because it 'wasn't an approved container'
So in full view of the cashier stuck it back on the bike, wheeled it to the pump and they happily filled it! :?

Return to β€œTHE PUB”