helmet removal at filling staions

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
ggp59

Re: helmet removal at filling staions

Post by ggp59 »

Zookman wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:39 pm
ggp59 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:18 pm If anyone wants to experience the being hollered at over the tanoy by a shouty bloke who's assumed you're a thief try Morrisons of Leominster, Herefordshire.
They won't let down 👍
What makes you think he's assumed you're a thief ?
That seems an assumption in itself.
I think you've assumed I've made am assumption :D
I asked and was told 'for security reasons, same as why you can't walk into a bank wearing a crash helmet'

But just as I go happily go another station half a mile away because I can't be arsed, think this discussion needs the same treatment - and we should just do what we're all happy with!
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

ggp59 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:15 pm
Zookman wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:39 pm
ggp59 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:18 pm If anyone wants to experience the being hollered at over the tanoy by a shouty bloke who's assumed you're a thief try Morrisons of Leominster, Herefordshire.
They won't let down 👍
What makes you think he's assumed you're a thief ?
That seems an assumption in itself.
I think you've assumed I've made am assumption :D
I asked and was told 'for security reasons, same as why you can't walk into a bank wearing a crash helmet'

But just as I go happily go another station half a mile away because I can't be arsed, think this discussion needs the same treatment - and we should just do what we're all happy with!
I think security reasons is a fair reason. They aren't picking on bikers for the sake of it, but we all know there are people that have criminal reasons for covering their face, whether is be using counterfeit money or stolen credit cards or just driving off without paying.
It would be far more hassle to me to have to argue against this no helmet on rule and then have to ride to another petrol station, than to just comply with it and carry on with my day.
The petrol stations wont care that you go somewhere else, us motorcyclists are an extremely small sector of motorists and we only buy small amounts of fuel compared to four wheelers.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Sorry but `'security reasons' is also clutching at straws. In reality that should mean that anyone they cannot clearly
identify needs to remove what ever is obscuring identification. Baseball cap and sunglasses....
I just use selfservice pumps anyway, much easier, can sit on bike, don't take off helmet, fill, and off you go. :D
Cone

Post by Cone »

qcnr wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:34 am Sorry but `'security reasons' is also clutching at straws. In reality that should mean that anyone they cannot clearly
identify needs to remove what ever is obscuring identification. Baseball cap and sunglasses....
I just use selfservice pumps anyway, much easier, can sit on bike, don't take off helmet, fill, and off you go. :D
Not if your filler is at the back you cant
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Well there is that, yes... :lol:
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

As far as I'm concerned motorcyclists and people recovering from facial surgery are the only two groups who can justify wearing a head cover whilst entering a petrol station, motorcyclists are legally obligated to whist they are riding their bike.
Other wearers of a full face cover are either thieves or victims of religious fashion.
I just want to put fuel in my bike, if you don't want to serve me I won't kick up a fuss, I'll just leave.
ggp59

Post by ggp59 »

Post thats ramble on a bit (or maybe it's just me?) don't always get read, so didn't post the full story the first time.
But due to some misunderstandings will risk boring the crap out of anyone who can be bothered to read the yarn

I pulled up at Morrison's Leominster to fill my CRF 250X up before going trail riding, and as I didn't have a mirror on the bike to stick my helmet on (like I do on the road bike) and the dirty, greasy floor not an option stayed sat on the bike to keep it upright enough to get the full 7.2L in with my helmet on.
Half way through filling (when he must have first noticed me) became aware of the tanoy, but as they are always talking to people struggling with the self service pumps didn't take a lot of notice despite a few people pointing at me!
I then went in to pay clutching my tenner (not the usual actions of fuel thieves!!) and still didn't realise the red faced and now angrily shouting attendant was aiming it at me!
That's when he calmed down enough to give me the 'we have rules the same as banks to stop theft' bullshit.
Me asking if thieves normally try to pay (I was still holding the tenner up!) didn't help at all!

So I go elsewhere now but don't kid myself Bill Morrison will feel the pinch because of it - its just less hassle!

Return to “THE PUB”