Which bike?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
fatowl

Which bike?

Post by fatowl »

I'm looking to get a small bike for just around and about. It'll be 99% roads. I'm currently looking at the BMW G310GS and the Himalayan. I'm put off the GS because of the issues it seems to be having (side stand, oil & water leaks, cold starting etc) but I like the extra power and the tubeless tyres. The Himalayan seems to be reliable, but it's a bit lower on power. Obviously I shall be riding both (ridden the GS already and quite liked it).
What do you guys think?
herman

Re: Which bike?

Post by herman »

ImageDSC01444 by herman munster, on Flickr Purely by chance I will have one for sale in a few weeks
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I’ve done nearly 4,000 miles on my Himalayan. Mainly commuting and so far it has been great, including in the ice and snow this week. I get about 85mpg which is nice. Some taller riders have said it is a bit cramped. I’m 5’8” and find it suits me fine. The panniers are good value for the money. I’ve not ridden the BM 310, but from the reviews I’ve read I reckon the Himalayan is the better bike all round, including green landing. For in town and twisty roads the Himalayan is hard to beat. If you do a lot of motorway or dual carriageway riding, are in a tearing hurry, or do a lot of two up riding then you might want to look elsewhere. Possibly the new Interceptor would be a better bet.
I found I had to adjust my riding style to suit the Himalayan, I was using a CCM GP450 (when it was not broken down) before. I find the Himalayan relaxing to ride, as it has not got blistering acceleration you need to plan ahead more. I have cut about 7mm off the sidestand on mine as I felt it was too upright as standard.
Read Nathan’s post on the Himalayan ‘good value thread’ he has done a lot more miles on his. Have a long test ride you will either love it or hate it.
Cheers Jak
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

Versys X-300.... I test rode one a few months ago and was very impressed with it. Only 173 kilos, but feels like a big bike that i could do long distance on. Seat is rock hard tho. I was very tempted to buy one.
Or the new CB500X that will be out in a few weeks, its had quite a few improvements made to it. Its a bike i'm waiting to test ride and possibly buy.
David A

Post by David A »

Kawasaki Versys 650 ticks all the boxes have a look at Versys forum www.versys.co.uk
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

David A wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:09 pm Kawasaki Versys 650 ticks all the boxes have a look at Versys forum www.versys.co.uk
Very good bikes, but not really what would be classed as a small bike. There aren’t many to chose from.
How far away in the launch of the KTM390 Adventure?
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Shame it's 99% roads not 100% roads!
It it were 100% road I'd have no hesitation in recommending the KTM390 Duke.
I bought one to fit on my camper van's rear bike rack.
My son bought it off me when I sold the camper.
What a cracking engine and it's very small.
I'm at the opposite end of the CCM GP450 ownership experience from Jak* mine's been great and it's good fun on the road or on the trails.
The Himalayan seems to be the hip alternative to the European and Japanese offerings and it's cheap!
The Honda 250L and the Rally version are obviously very capable, but compaired to the Himalayan they seem a bit bland.
Anyhow, get a KTM 300exc TPI!
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

SteveW wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:52 am Shame it's 99% roads not 100% roads!
It it were 100% road I'd have no hesitation in recommending the KTM390 Duke.
That's exactly what I was thinking too. The small Duke would be perfect.

Why not just buy a cheap beaten up dirt bike so you can have your occasional 1% fun, and buy a proper road bike for the other 99 ?
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

Thanks for all the replies. Just to add, I've got a Versys 1000, so I deffo want a smaller bike. I have a CG125 which I really love, but it's just a bit too small. i've tried the Versys300,and quite liked it, but it's so revvy. Nothing whatsoever up to about 6-7K, and then it takes off like a scalded cat! (as much as a 300cc can). I'm after something small to do the back roads around Dartmoor/Exmoor etc. I like pottering around taking in the scenery, usually at 30mph ish. I want somethong I can easily pick up should I drop it, as I ride solo. My off roading will be limited to very occaisional cart-tracks, nothing more. No mud (I hate cleaning). Nothing strenuous, nothing I couldn't (and don't) do on my CG. I had a CRF250L Rally, and hated it. Too tall, too vibey, too uncomfortable, too tiny a fuel tank..... I was happy with the performance though.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Beta Alp 4.0

DR350S engine, low seat.

http://www.betamotor.com/en/alp/bikes/alp-4-0-2

Return to “THE PUB”