Classic Album education.

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Brads

Re: Classic Album education.

Post by Brads »

How long is a piece of string.?
There is no list of best albums, simply a list of what people like.

Try whatever you see, you might just stumble across a surprise.

My latest's include

ABBA Arrival

Big Country The Crossing. (astonishing)

Gerry Rafferty City to City. This last one is simply amazing.
Round the world ???

Round the bend more like !
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Quick update - huge thanks to everyone who contributed. Here is what an 8 year old girl thinks of what she heard so far:

Dark Side of the Moon - Weird, I like the clock noises.

Rumours - Very good

Diamond Life - Daddy can you turn it off please.

Back to Black - She's great.

Jagged Little Pill - Is this about boys?

Tragic Kingdom (no doubt) - It's ok.

After years of having Alanis forced on me at uni I thought I would hate that one but its actually a really solid album.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Like this thread.

I never had kids so can't comment from experience about how to actually carry out an education in music, but I do know I grew up in a home full of music. My mum was a piano teacher and classical music fan, so I got to hear all that stuff, but she also played The Beatles, The Kinks, Cat Stevens etc. Then my older sister brought home Genesis, Floyd, Yes, Wishbone Ash, ELP etc etc, and eventually I found my own favourites as a teenager, with The Clash, Joy Division, The Smiths, The Fall etc etc.

I can't imagine bringing up kids without music around them. TV and video games are not enough. Classic albums and hits from the past are part of our cultural heritage and it's just as tragic IMO for a child to reach adulthood without hearing them as it is for them not to know the capital of Holland or who JFK was. This music is general knowledge too, and if you haven't listened to it (even if it's just to reject it) then you don't have the cultural tool kit you need to judge and comment on contemporary music either. Besides it's great fun introducing a young kid to All Along The Watchtower for the first time (Dylan or Hendrix) - awesome!

Return to β€œTHE PUB”