For whom the bridge tolls?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
daveuprite

For whom the bridge tolls?

Post by daveuprite »

I didn't realise that the toll was being scrapped. Good news for a lot of peeps I imagine.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -motorists
Cone

Re: For whom the bridge tolls?

Post by Cone »

Bad news for others but good at the same time

Secondary repercussions are that house prices have jumped. But this has drawn prospective developers in looking to develop every green field site they can get their hands on with little thought or contributions to the local communities.

The politicians don’t care as long as they can show their growth in house building is being met, few sold as affordable but not really affordable for those that need it in the local areas.
dodursley

Post by dodursley »

I used to work in N Bristol some colleagues lived in Chepstow & Forest of Dean area and commuted across the bridge then (10-30 years ago) paying the toll.
I rarely crossed by car but we have regular bike (toll free) runs 'abroad' starting from Severn Services.
hotbulb

Post by hotbulb »

Anything that gets rid of that horrible melee at the "toll plaza" is OK by me .......... and not having to pay £5.60 to get home is always good, too.
High time for the "powers that be" to turn their gaze onto the Newport bottleneck (Brynglas tunnels).

I'm old enough to remember the first bridge opening, with a half-crown "temporary" toll (with the promise that it would only last a few years and then be abolished!)

Return to “THE PUB”