Refresh my memory?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
bigfoot

Refresh my memory?

Post by bigfoot »

Guys

after our visit to motorcycle live last week, we were discussing how much smaller it's got over the years.

Some of us seem to remember it used to have an autojumble, while some of us don't remember it.

Can anyone remember if it used to have one? We are talking many years ago BTW that's why we can't remember for sure.
Scott_rider

Re: Refresh my memory?

Post by Scott_rider »

I remember a few stalls/displays where you could rummage through boxes of spares, that was in the 90s.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

in the 90's it seemed massive .. walking around all day was exhausting .. and you had to queue for food for an hour or more, in long queues.

there were hundreds of stalls, mostly small market-type stalls with wide boys and touts and chancers, but many reputable too, selling mostly leathers and helmets and other bike gear. (but a lot more varied than todays, with tools, video tapes, books etc etc)

I have a vague memory of passing one area that sold rusty crap old bits of bike junk in cardboard boxes, on decorating tables or summat, manned by large biker type guys with brown or ginger beards .. but I could be getting mixed up?

it was huge , and must have filled most of the nec? .. but I dont remember celebrities or displays?? .. and dont even remember the bikes ??? … but that may be poor memory. Though I do remember a video display of a bike ride .. with a special tune … … and it was the same tune I had in my head coming from Italy and france a couple of months before, coming from the gt750 engine sound? amazing!

I had to struggle to find my way through the thronging crowds of big bikers, tho everyone was friendly, and everyone came away from it feeling we had experienced a one in a lifetime experience
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

I too remember the bike show back in the 90’s......shuffling past stalls piled high with cheap useless tat. Supposedly bike clothing, but just made to look like it.....

I didn’t like that side of it, I did however like the fact that there were more proper trade displays, from the likes of Arai, or the importer, Shoei, tyre manufacturers etc.

I I’m not so keen on the show element of it these days. I WAS a Foggy fan when he was racing....not so sure now!
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

Wagon Wheels were bigger too! :D
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

Wagon Wheels - now there's a whole new thread by itself :)
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

garyboy wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:21 pm in the 90's it seemed massive .. walking around all day was exhausting .. and you had to queue for food for an hour or more, in long queues.

there were hundreds of stalls, mostly small market-type stalls with wide boys and touts and chancers, but many reputable too, selling mostly leathers and helmets and other bike gear. (but a lot more varied than todays, with tools, video tapes, books etc etc)

I have a vague memory of passing one area that sold rusty crap old bits of bike junk in cardboard boxes, on decorating tables or summat, manned by large biker type guys with brown or ginger beards .. but I could be getting mixed up?

it was huge , and must have filled most of the nec? .. but I dont remember celebrities or displays?? .. and dont even remember the bikes ??? … but that may be poor memory. Though I do remember a video display of a bike ride .. with a special tune … … and it was the same tune I had in my head coming from Italy and france a couple of months before, coming from the gt750 engine sound? amazing!

I had to struggle to find my way through the thronging crowds of big bikers, tho everyone was friendly, and everyone came away from it feeling we had experienced a one in a lifetime experience
I was never there during that era and now as a visitor I really enjoy the show, however that - as you have described - sounds awesome :ugeek:
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

thankyou Tom ..

yes it really was
bearing in mind that I lived in the welsh valleys where bike shops did not abound (then), either in size, importance or frequency.

To see so many `real` bikers .. big buggas too, in their leathers 'n stuff, and walk amongst them, as one of them .. even without all that gear and fair-like activity and show .. was indeed awesome :)

Return to “THE PUB”