DCT gearboxes...anyone got any opinions?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Scott_rider

DCT gearboxes...anyone got any opinions?

Post by Scott_rider »

I've been looking at the Honda Crosstourer 1200 which although lardy seems to tick quite a few boxes for me. A lot of them have DCT gearboxes, does anyone have any experience of DCT gearboxes on 'adventure' style bikes and if so, are they any good? Thanks
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Trev

Re: DCT gearboxes...anyone got any opinions?

Post by Trev »

I had the NC700X DCT which I put about 22k on over 3 years, performed faultlessly and made the bike a doddle to ride and actaully easy to cover miles at a surprsingly brisk pace - adventue'ish style but no off road capability.
Punted that on as abit underpowered and cap suspension and now have a Africe Twin DCT which is even better, hugely capable road bike, I know some will bemoan the lack of 150bp but again it's surpisngly easy to cover the miles at a decent rate. The AT is a way better bike all round (obviously as it costs nearly twice the price) and is capable on A roads, back lanes and even easy green laning (in the dry for me as I have Pirelli Scorpion road biased tyres on mine). Although I have a KDX200 and used to do a bit of green laning and the odd hare & hounds (many years ago) I'm not super skilful off road so the DCT really helps with a big lump of a bike like the AT .
I did originally try a Crosstourer on a test ride but way to heavy for me and the first gen DCT, althoug ok, is not as good as that on the NC and someway off the latest incarnation on the AT. My advice would be to blag one for as long as possible as it takes some time to appreciate the benefits of DCT but, if it feels right for you, then you won't look back.
I do have plenty of other 'manual' bikes (apart from my l'lil step thru) and don't have any problem flitting between DCT and manual, I guess foot gearchange has been ingrained in my pysche after 40 years of riding.

I should add, you will find plenty of naysayers, most who have never ridden a DCT but wouldn't on principle 'it makes me less of a rider if I don't use my toe to change gear, I like the challenge of the clutch/gear/man interface, blah, blah, blah' . I heard it from my local IAM BMW riding clan who promptly go and order the latest tank with gear shift assist and enjoy the worst of both worlds :lol:
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I got dct on my honda 750, and think its amazing.
the newer ones hold the gear longer, so give better acceleration and sporty feel, apparently.
I have got used to constantly `changing down` with my thumb, to get some oomph
but apart from that is very good
Smooth as long as you keep the chain-slack to min spec (jerks at low speed if too much chain slack)
and you got to watch out for unexpected gear changes (up) when you don't want them.

but once you got it all sussed out dct is very good.
and of course you have the choice of `manual control`
finger `up`, thumb `down`..
but with the added advantage that it will never stall
and never change gear when it is bad for the engine.

you soon get used to the thumb override method when in auto mode
so have control over your choices
but in auto-only, you can just relax and watch the world go by
if u that way inclined
like me :)
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Thanks guys, very informative 8-) and much appreciated.

So will a 2012 model DCT gearbox be significantly different from a current model? I think what I’m trying to say is were the first DCT gearboxes a bit shite compared to what you can buy now?
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

DCT - why not? So far the bikes it's been fitted to are relaxed tourers/cruisers. So why not have a relaxing gearbox? You probably wouldn't choose it for an R1, but that's not the point really. If I bought a Ferrari I'd want a manual box. If I bought a Bentley I'd want an auto.

But soon all this will change. As electric vehicles take over, we will all need to get familiar with seamless gear-less continuous drive, with instant full torque and no need to change gears ever again. A completely new and exciting way of riding which will allow the rider to prioritise lots of other things involved in piloting a bike... :D
Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

I had a new X-ADV 750 dct gearbox as they all are.loved it. Brilliant gearbox. Gave a new riding experience. Very Fast off the lights and super slick f1 stylee gear changes in sport manual mode,however because it was so easy i ended up riding much faster than i was comfortable with.
As a bike it handled like it was on rails:)))
Attachments
E1767587-7B46-4591-A42B-C51234A4D097.jpeg
E1767587-7B46-4591-A42B-C51234A4D097.jpeg (157.25 KiB) Viewed 2120 times
DEE28D6B-6837-49F9-BE0A-AF8B3FE28443.jpeg
DEE28D6B-6837-49F9-BE0A-AF8B3FE28443.jpeg (156.05 KiB) Viewed 2120 times
wideparting

Post by wideparting »

I had a 1200 crosstourer with dct,a novelty at first,but soon got bored with it.got shut after 3 months and luckily didn't lose too much.saying that,the brakes were good,quick acceleration and generally good quality build,but one of the heaviest bikes ive ridden and awkward at slow riding/steering especially 2 up.

Return to “THE PUB”