Good bike for pillion

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
diggermanbob

Good bike for pillion

Post by diggermanbob »

As Title I'm looking at bikes that are good for carrying a pillion comfortably , looking maybe at early gs1200 or Rt or something that is reliable will cover the miles not off road , will be used for travelling around Europe with the GLW on board , any sensible ideas , and No I don't want a paneuro or a Golding or a Harley. I have looked at triumph trophy 1200 and Bmw Rt both look very comfortable but maybe a bit to big. Your thoughts gentlemen :D
OnHellas

Re: Good bike for pillion

Post by OnHellas »

In my time selling new Hondas, up until 2003, nobody ever complained of discomfort as a pillion on a Varadero 1000.

Riders didn’t either....the styling however...
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

OnHellas wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:14 am In my time selling new Hondas, up until 2003, nobody ever complained of discomfort as a pillion on a Varadero 1000.

Riders didn’t either....the styling however...
Yes thanks , I know what you mean about the styling :shock:
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a 1200GS, with a top box and panniers fitted it really is like the pillion is sitting in an armchair.
Bought my 07 plate in 2008 with 6k miles on the clock and still have it but now with 58k miles on it. Been lot's of places from Outer Hebrides to Morocco, Ireland to Montenegro and everywhere in between ...... mainly 2up with camping gear and sometimes offroad (stella/smugglers/IoM/Sotres etc).
Longest journey was Grindelwauld to Leicester in 21 hours and swimbo actually fell asleep on the back.
Zero breakdowns, zero final drives and always home maintenance since 2010/25k miles.
Personally I look at a bike as a tool to do a job rather than a tank badge and matching underpants and for us this bike has done everything we've asked of it ........ that's not to say a different bike couldn't.
We do have airhawk seat cushions but rarely use them, because it is a standard GS you need to get off to fill up every 180/200 miles (3hrs riding) so your bum and legs get a break.
Not the sexiest or most exciting bike in the world but at 50mpg and a depreciation of £5k in 50k miles it has done me proud.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

Tonibe63 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:00 am I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a 1200GS, with a top box and panniers fitted it really is like the pillion is sitting in an armchair.
Bought my 07 plate in 2008 with 6k miles on the clock and still have it but now with 58k miles on it. Been lot's of places from Outer Hebrides to Morocco, Ireland to Montenegro and everywhere in between ...... mainly 2up with camping gear and sometimes offroad (stella/smugglers/IoM/Sotres etc).
Longest journey was Grindelwauld to Leicester in 21 hours and swimbo actually fell asleep on the back.
Zero breakdowns, zero final drives and always home maintenance since 2010/25k miles.
Personally I look at a bike as a tool to do a job rather than a tank badge and matching underpants and for us this bike has done everything we've asked of it ........ that's not to say a different bike couldn't.
We do have airhawk seat cushions but rarely use them, because it is a standard GS you need to get off to fill up every 180/200 miles (3hrs riding) so your bum and legs get a break.
Not the sexiest or most exciting bike in the world but at 50mpg and a depreciation of £5k in 50k miles it has done me proud.
Thank you , I do like the GS having owned an 1150 gsa for a while never rode it with a passenger but know what you mean about comfort ,
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

If it's only for the road, Bob, forget bikes that are pretending to offer some off-road. Go for a proper road bike, tourer or sports tourer.

FJ1200 or FJR1300 is a good choice. One of the best 2-up long distance touring bikes ever made, capable of huge mileages. Post 2006 they came with luggage as standard and you can even buy an 'AS' version with a semi-auto gearbox and other touring features. You'd need at least £5k ideally for one of those.

And don't rule out the retro road bikes (XJR1300, ZRX1200S, GSX1400 etc), which are all very comfy for pillions, especially the XJR.

Not sure about the Triumph Trophy - bit lardy. If you're going that heavy, you'd might as well get the best Pan you can afford, or an RT. Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (NOT the 955 one) is a really good option too. In fact probably the best if you want to still have some fun in the hills after you've taken the luggage off. £3k would get you something pretty nice.

Obviously there's loads of other options, depending on how much more sporty or comfortable you want to go.
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

+1 for fjr.

After a putting big miles on a K75 and a R1100RT I bought a FJR 1300. My wife found it the most comfortable bike we have owned. The torque shrugs off everything. We did a lot of camping and ended up towing a trailer for our camping gear. When friends on GSs stopped to put on rain gear we wondered why, because we were dry as long as we kept moving.
Had that bike 13 years and loved every minute.
I only sold it after arthritis caught up with the wife and she stopped pillioning and old age caught up with me. It just became too big.

Tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

S10
herman

Post by herman »

FJR , S10 , fazer thou possibly. The big kwak is worth a look too.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

The FJR 1300 looks nice and keeps it Yamaha :D , I do like my Yamaha's , it's your fault Daveuprite I might just go and buy one :lol:

Return to “THE PUB”