speeding ?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
skidlydog

speeding ?

Post by skidlydog »

Hi all, Having a bimble around wales today and managed to come across a police van with a forward facing camera ...oops 40 or so in a 30 . As i passed him i was at 30. Question, he poss took my reg as i cruised by at 30 rearward, can i still be done ? Thanks :?
Oop North John

Re: speeding ?

Post by Oop North John »

I think so, though you'll find out in the next two weeks ;)
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

If it was one of the newer vans I think they have smaller cameras facing forward & one one the offside?
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

don't know … but I read somewhere that the camera takes 2 pics and they deduce u speed from that???

ps .. my guess has always been that they take a snap of u from the front, say, then another, then take u plate as u pass ???? anyone know for sure?
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Do a search it was covered on here before and basically yes you can be done if the local traffic photographic society has the necessary equipment.
johnnyboxer

speeding ?

Post by johnnyboxer »

skidlydog wrote:Hi all, Having a bimble around wales today and managed to come across a police van with a forward facing camera ...oops 40 or so in a 30 . As i passed him i was at 30. Question, he poss took my reg as i cruised by at 30 rearward, can i still be done ? Thanks :?
Yep
Happened to me
Approached from the front of van (headlights & windscreen) and the camera was pointing out of the back doors - so aimed at traffic oncoming towards me
Still got done at 71mph in a 60 limit
Spoke to traffic bureau and they have 360 degree cameras, all linked together
Very sophisticated
Didn't argue
Took the course instead
Very enjoyable
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Petethefeet

Post by Petethefeet »

I got done in a 30 zone from a van, I went past at 30, then assumed as I was passed it it was ok to open the throttle a bit. A week or two later I get a letter to say it was 35.
I am sure I was at 30 before the van so it must of got me as I was passed it.
A few weeks later I saw the van with what appeared to be an external camera on a tripod just behind it pointing at the back of the passing traffic.

One speed awareness course later......
XT350 1988
Triumph Thunderbird 1957
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

If the van only took a picture of your bike coming towards the camera and then the operator manually noted down your registration number as you went past then you can't be prosecuted. They have to show the vehicle and the number plate and the speed at the time of the offence. As other have said, if there were two cameras facing the opposite ways then that's a different matter.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Toe

Post by Toe »

garyboy wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:33 pm don't know … but I read somewhere that the camera takes 2 pics and they deduce u speed from that???

ps .. my guess has always been that they take a snap of u from the front, say, then another, then take u plate as u pass ???? anyone know for sure?
That's how normal speed cameras work with the lines on the floor (speed = distance / time). I would personally think that couldn't work in this scenario because those 'distance lines' are a very specific distance apart.
The handheld ones use lasers which is basically voodoo I believe.
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
chillidave

Post by chillidave »

Just been on a speed awareness course this morning......surprised how interesting it was. :o

Return to “THE PUB”