UK driving licence 'may not be valid in EU'

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Jak*

Re: UK driving licence 'may not be valid in EU'

Post by Jak* »

I am not sure who is right. Gove who said it will take 30'years to see the benefits or Rees Mogg who says it will take 50. Either way it is interesting that neither of them said this before the referendum. Still I am sure it is worth it to have our 'sovereignty' back.
Cheers Jak
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

OB1 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:34 pm One thing that I have never understood was how could so many people who subscribe to an adventure motorcycle travel website be so vociferous about leaving an institution that allowed us to travel within the borders of 27 countries with little or no friction.
I used to travel by road all over the continent with the old big blue passport and never had a problem right up to the point where I had to get back into the UK. Our border posts were always much more stringent.

What changed when we changed to the pan-EU passport. Err nothing I could see. What's going to happen when we go back to the old system, err I suspect nothing much.

As far as insurance, I think we had to inform our insurers (which we should still do), and maybe there was a small charge - can't remember - but I'm sure it was nothing crippling and will probably end up being a phone call before you go if that.

I'm not sure if it's more scare mongering or just pointing things out so they will get dealt with, but they will get dealt with and life will go on pretty much as we are with a few tweeks :D
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I thought you already had to have 6 months left on your passport to travel abroad and an extra £5.50 on top of my summer holiday.... big deal!🙄 I voted remain btw but I'm not getting hysterical because it didn't go my way.
Fried Egg Sandwich

Post by Fried Egg Sandwich »

sprintster wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:46 am I thought you already had to have 6 months left on your passport to travel abroad
True, however when you applied your new passport 6 months in advance, that new passport had your new 10 years and your remaining time from the old passport on it.
Not now. The new passport starts from the day they issue it. Therefore as you need 6 months on your passport (to travel abroad) you have to apply for your new one 6 months in advance, therefore lose that 6 months.

Cheekily that represents a 5% increase in passport cost per time covered.
It means that now, for what was the cost of a 10 year passport, you only get a 9 years 6 month passport.

Another cynical exploitation of our hard earned money.
Suzuki DRZ400S
BMW R1150GS
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)
Trev

Post by Trev »

sprintster wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:46 am I thought you already had to have 6 months left on your passport to travel abroad and an extra £5.50 on top of my summer holiday.... big deal!🙄 I voted remain btw but I'm not getting hysterical because it didn't go my way.
Not to travel to Europe, you only need to have enough time left to cover your journey. For US, China, and I assume, most other regions you need six months minimum.
DizzyDee

Post by DizzyDee »

Fried Egg Sandwich wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:37 am
sprintster wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:46 am I thought you already had to have 6 months left on your passport to travel abroad
True, however when you applied your new passport 6 months in advance, that new passport had your new 10 years and your remaining time from the old passport on it.
Not now. The new passport starts from the day they issue it. Therefore as you need 6 months on your passport (to travel abroad) you have to apply for your new one 6 months in advance, therefore lose that 6 months.

Cheekily that represents a 5% increase in passport cost per time covered.
It means that now, for what was the cost of a 10 year passport, you only get a 9 years 6 month passport.

Another cynical exploitation of our hard earned money.

I had 3mths added to mine when I renewed via the reminder that was sent via text from the Passport Office!
Fried Egg Sandwich

DizzyDee wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:40 am I had 3mths added to mine when I renewed via the reminder that was sent via text from the Passport Office!
It was in the news yesterday that this is how it is going to be.
Suzuki DRZ400S
BMW R1150GS

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

Now you're either just making stuff up or you're gullible enough to take the predictions on the telly (thats all they are by the way not definite 'how its going to be' as you state)

If I believed you lot I'd give up my other hobby as apparently the sky is about to fall in :lol:
Fried Egg Sandwich

https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.ampproj ... ule-change
I don't need to make things up when the truth is stranger than fiction 😀
Suzuki DRZ400S
BMW R1150GS

HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

Aaah the Guardian...must be true then :lol:

Return to “THE PUB”