UK driving licence 'may not be valid in EU'

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
OB1

UK driving licence 'may not be valid in EU'

Post by OB1 »

Heard this on The World At One during my lunchtime walk...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45512152
UK drivers may have to get an international driving permit if they want to drive in European countries after a no-deal Brexit.

The government says that after March 2019 "your driving licence may no longer be valid by itself" in the EU, in its latest no-deal planning papers.

It also warns that Britons travelling to the EU may need to make sure their passports have six months left to run.

International permits cost £5.50 and are available at some post offices.

A previous report from the National Audit Office suggested that between 100,000 and seven million international driving permits may need to be issued in the first year, if no Brexit deal is reached.

The cabinet met earlier for a "no deal" planning session. Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab told the BBC that the government was aiming to get a Brexit deal with Brussels by mid-November at the latest but was stepping up contingency planning in case that did not happen.
So glad that 37% of the voting population decided to take us down this road...
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Asgard

Re: UK driving licence 'may not be valid in EU'

Post by Asgard »

Sounds like more scare-mongering and twisting of things to me, the statement could just as easily be be interpreted as meaning you would need to back up the licence with your passport, as is done in other countries outside the EU.

Not really a big issue, but then I'm a glass half full type :)
Its a trick............get an Axe
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Asgard wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:23 pm Not really a big issue, but then I'm a glass half full type :)

Me too, however, there just seems to be problem after problem arising when life used to be so (comparatively) easy just a couple of years ago.

All this and for what?
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

It's just amazing how many people are waking up so late to this shit-shower. The warnings were all there before the referendum, issued by experts in economics, trade and law. The logical, sensible conclusion any reasonable person would have made is that Brexit was a major gamble, largely unnecessary and would likely not solve the lingering grievances of people left behind by the recession. The vote was hi-jacked by right wing politicians to advance their own interests, who painted the expert advice as a fear project. Some of them have since been convicted of fraud and many of the lies told have been exposed. But despite this we are all now stuck with a perfect storm of incompetent government, a desperate Tory party fighting for its life (but no-one else's), a torn up Labour party in disarray, self-interested extremists and the prospect of major disruptions to systems that we have taken for granted would function smoothly for decades.

There is so little time left to correct this mess. If you voted for Brexit, of course it's hard to admit that you got it wrong, that you made a mistake or that you were misled. Nobody wants to admit that. But sometimes you just have to swallow hard and accept that you were deceived. History looks poorly on those who went along unthinkingly with a bad decision, but far more fondly on those who regretted and changed course as the evidence presented itself. As the circumstances change sensible people change their opinion. It is vital, right now, with so little time left, that those people who are just beginning to see the light regarding the mess we will be left with if either a Chequers-deal, another type of hard Brexit or a No-Deal goes ahead - please do the right thing and work to reverse the mistake. There's only a couple of hundred days left to totally alter the dire prospects that face you and your children. Write to your MP and let them know that you no longer trust that Brexit is right for the UK, that you don't want to see the country split into separate nation states or a return to violence in Northern Ireland, and that you want british jobs preserved and protected.

At the very least, call for a fresh vote on the final terms, now that the failure of the negotiation is becoming clear and that the lack of planning for failure is so apparent. If democracy was your concern in 2016, then it should still be now that we know so much more about how poor the outcome will be for the UK post Brexit. It's about so much more than the multiple inconveniences that face british people if the UK leaves. It's about how the UK is perceived and about its place in the world now that Trump, Putin and others are messing with the standards we used to hold dear.

So yes, sure, worry about driving licences, about roaming phone charges, about lack of medicines, about food shortages, about price-rises, about queues at ports, about staff shortages etc etc etc. But above all please do something at this late stage to prevent an enormous national mistake.
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

Who are all these people who are only just waking up Dave?, as far as I can see the only people whinging have been exactly those who whinged from the beginning, where are all the people that amazed you by waking from their slumber of ignorance?, comes across as more condescending crap from the 'we knew better all along' lot to me
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Some Remoaners as as guilty of not understanding as much as some Brexiteers.

Using 37% is ridiculous as that means even fewer people voted to remain so has even less weight and is therefore a spurious argument.

It only say ‘MAY’ be needed so don’t panic yet.
You need an international driving license to go to many countries so what’s the fuss. Hardly stops you going on holiday does it.
The world doesn’t stop in the EU.

Mostly scaremongering bo****ks.

Do all the super informed Remoaners know what direction the EU is going to take....and we have/had very little control over that apart from the occasional veto, which pees everyone else off. It’s narrow minded throwing everything in with that lot.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Craig-SM

Post by Craig-SM »

3.8 million EU nationals in the UK will be in the same boat too, that doesn’t include those visiting, and find their driving licence invalid to use here.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Its a 2 way street....so all the freight lorrys wont be able to enter some how tgat wont ever happen as uk plc is a gross consumer we export waste and a few techo bits...

We wilk stiil be in the same shit whatever happens....i dont care anymore ...ill ve in france on hols when it goes pete tong :lol:
OB1

Post by OB1 »

DavidS wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:42 pm Using 37% is ridiculous as that means even fewer people voted to remain so has even less weight and is therefore a spurious argument.

It only say ‘MAY’ be needed so don’t panic yet.

If you re-read what I wrote: "37% of the voting population" does not mean 37% of the votes but it is accurate. That is the percentage of those that were eligible to vote who voted to leave the EU... but then again, only 72% of the population thought it was worth their while to actually go out and vote for the most important decision this country has made nearly 50 years. I would quite happily blame the 28% for the current situation as well as the 37%.

You're right, it does say "may"... unlike the promise that £350 million WOULD go to the NHS if we left...
justrtw.com
OB1

Post by OB1 »

One thing that I have never understood was how could so many people who subscribe to an adventure motorcycle travel website be so vociferous about leaving an institution that allowed us to travel within the borders of 27 countries with little or no friction. I say 27, even though there are currently 28 countries in the EU, because you need to go through passport control to get out of or into the UK... because we refused the join the Schengen Zone... such is the control that the EU had over the UK.
justrtw.com

Return to “THE PUB”