Metatarsal & riding advice

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
P4ulie

Metatarsal & riding advice

Post by P4ulie »

After 2 weeks of pain had the x ray & found I have a healing broken metatarsal. It's too far for me to walk to the station & being my left foot, painful as feck changing gear.

I need to get back to work next week, auto box scooter hire is £350 a week :shock: so I'm thinking MX boots may be an option as I won't feel the gear change. Is that a cunning plan or my usual plain stupid?

I don't own a pair so could do with advice on dirt cheap boots, I won't be needing Crossfires etc & they only need to last a month, anyone have a pair of size 11's they want to part with?

Thanks
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Tramp

Re: Metatarsal & riding advice

Post by Tramp »

I broke mine on right foot outside edge a few years ago and spent 6 weeks in plaster then 2 weeks reabilitation... I could only walk on crutches... Then even afterwards had painfull outside foot pressure when stepping wrong.. Its fine now...

Ask your self if you rode and needed to only use the left foot could you hold bike up? What do yoi think the insurance would say if you had a no fault accident and they found out you where riding with a fracture...

Not worth it in my book... Drive a car and use crutches even a borrowed or hired one for work, maybe a work colleague can help...

Ive had lot's of broken bones recently and at 50+ they hurt for ages...
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

I'm just back from my hols....riding my CCM Tramp. That was ok until the side stand came off & with camping gear on the back was interesting :?

I don't have a driving licence, never bothered, so that ones out the window. I rode my lil CRF to work yesterday, but it's London so lots of stops (gear changes) & with 45000 miles on the clutch, slick it isn't. I can hobble around, albeit painfully & have a boot rather than crutches.

We shall see, may have to get to know my local taxi firms :|
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

I once broke my ankle in africa and had to continue riding as no other option, so i just made a slit for inside the boots up leg and that made it possible to ride each day...

So try a pair of mx boots and insert some pading over your broken joint.... And carry a walking stick on bike... Dont think ilegal... As disabled drivers use them.... Then at least you have support.... A scooter would be much better.... Try one off the local yobs lol...
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

The MX boot idea might work.

I smashed my right foot between my bike and a tree while greenlaning 2.5 years ago. It still gives me daily gyp and I'm getting to think that it will never be totally right again. Thank goodness I was wearing a decent pair of A-star MX boots at the time or it could have been much worse.

Anyway, now I find that pretty much the only time that I am completely pain-free on that foot is when I am togged up back in the boots out on the trails. The heavy all round armour and support just seems to provide exactly what my rogered foot needs.

You could go on ebay, look for secondhand MX boot auctions that are about to end and buy something perfectly decent tonight for less than £50, and they would be with you by next week. Look for tough stuff like Gaerne, A-Stars, Sidi, AXO etc. - size 11 should be cheaper too because they are harder to sell. But you should still be able to pass them on in a months time without losing anything much.

Best of luck with yer metatarsals... :o
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Ask Mr Boboneleg for a few pointers.
SHarper

Post by SHarper »

zimtim wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:53 pm Ask Mr Boboneleg for a few pointers.
...or see if he’s got a boot he doesn’t need...

Return to “THE PUB”