Why me??

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
pinball1008

Re: Why me??

Post by pinball1008 »

lancashirelad wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:19 pm Just checked my NI contributions you need 35yrs contributions for a full pension I've contributed 44yrs so that shouldn't be a problem, not contributed much in the last few years as I've been working partime.
If only that were true. I have 36 years contributions , but took early retirement on my service pension about 7 years ago (when 30yrs qualified you). Although a few years away I thought I'd get a pensions forecast on my state pension. Fuck me! I'm 8 years of contributions short of a full sate pensions! Looks like I was opted out too. Well it was news to me, but apparently I can buy the years back if I want to!!
Still, we're better off than future generations, the workplace pension will kill off the state pension for most workers in the future! This was not in any political party's manifesto, but no doubt someone in 25+ years time will say "Of course if you voted for Thatcher back in the 80s then you asked for it and little sympathy is due" or something just as fatuous and unhelpful.
Not all those wandering are lost
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

I qualify for the pension born Aug 53 they told me I did & sent me the necessary paperwork to claim it, I did but I just can't get over the you'll get in paid to you on **\**\** hurdle but I'm still hopefull, I'm giving them a few more days then I'll put a complaint in, according to the Gov Gateway I'm due a tenner less than full, I can live with that :D :D
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

You can check on the gateway when your payment will be made, it's not on your 65th birthday, your birthday decides which date in the month is your payday, so your first month maybe only a partial payment and then full month from 2nd onwards.
Then if you also have a private pension the two are added and if over your personal allowance the bu**ers take tax out :oops:
Last edited by bill_qaz on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

If only that were true. I have 36 years contributions , but took early retirement on my service pension about 7 years ago (when 30yrs qualified you). Although a few years away I thought I'd get a pensions forecast on my state pension. Fuck me! I'm 8 years of contributions short of a full sate pensions! Looks like I was opted out too. Well it was news to me, but apparently I can buy the years back if I want to!!
Still, we're better off than future generations, the workplace pension will kill off the state pension for most workers in the future! This was not in any political party's manifesto, but no doubt someone in 25+ years time will say "Of course if you voted for Thatcher back in the 80s then you asked for it and little sympathy is due" or something just as fatuous and unhelpful.
Check before you pay, some years are paid automatically, something to do with balancing female and male retirement ages. I was told I could pay additional top up missing years, similar to you early retirement but when asked what effect it would have on the state pension paid I was surprised to find the answer to be NONE. so paid none. Take advice before you pay it may be for no gain :roll:
pinball1008

Post by pinball1008 »

Thanks Bill, To be honest I have no intention of paying. The maths needed to work out costs now against potential future pension against tax implications and life expectancy are way beyond me :D
Not all those wandering are lost
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

pinball1008 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:49 pm
lancashirelad wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:19 pm Just checked my NI contributions you need 35yrs contributions for a full pension I've contributed 44yrs so that shouldn't be a problem, not contributed much in the last few years as I've been working partime.
The 1980 Social Security Act and the 1986 Financial Services Act. Feel free to look them up. Yes, serial governments have overseen the deterioration of UK pensions provision, but it was Mrs T. who kicked it all off. If you voted for her, then that's what you helped create. Sadly all of us must reap what you sowed. It's not fatuous or unhelpful, just factual. That's how elections work...
Last edited by daveuprite on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

One gem I did find out is the day of the week you get paid is governed by the last 2 numbers of your NI number!! :lol:

My gripe with them is the DWP website states that you will be informed in writing up to 14 days before the qualification date i.e. in my case 13th August what you will receive and the date of your first payment, I haven't heard anything as of yet?
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
johnnyboxer

Why me??

Post by johnnyboxer »

It's all a fecking sham and shambles

Originally you needed just 30 years to qualify for a full pension

I have 36 years in & still pay in - but just one part Year at 18-19 (probably some admin cock up by DWP as I left full time work to go to college) and probably will be deducted a tenner because of it - even through I will have paid in for 40+ years

Nowadays I pay myself the minimum wage and just a token NI Payment annually to get another full year's stamp - all legit but I am fed up with the system - so feck'em
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

So I rec a letter marked Dept of Work & Pensions....yippee I opened it & it said I can claim for Winter Fuel Payment :oops:

So I rang the number as asked, held on for 15mins, then a nice lady answered & asked me if I am in receipt of State Pension, I said well that's a sore point to be honest, so I briefly explained, she looked at my account & said I will rec a letter in the next couple of days & the part payment ie 2 weeks pension has been issued & will be in my account next Tue & she couldn't see anything on my account that should've held my pension up :D

Everything comes to him that waits!!
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

You don't have to be 65 to get winter fuel allowance or a bus pass, two minor advantage to the male/female pensionable age balancing based on the year you are born, but like most things you have to claim as I don't think they send it automatically.

Return to “THE PUB”