places to visit in wales??

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
joeymc

places to visit in wales??

Post by joeymc »

Hi all,

Myself and a few friends are travelling from Ireland over to wales for the first time on the 23 of August for some touring for 5 days.
we are trying to set up an itinerary and i was wondering if anyone could suggest some good roads, locations, sights etc to visit whilst we are there.

thanks.
joey.
TomBoyNI

Re: places to visit in wales??

Post by TomBoyNI »

I’m in Wales at the minute, having stopped over for 5 days too. :D

Is it all roads you are looking at doing or more off road?

I’ll post up what we did when I get back (boat tomorrow night from Liverpool). It has been great. :D
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Joey,

A few of us did a trip to Wales a couple of years ago. The ride report is in the Ireland regional section.

viewtopic.php?f=138&t=40162
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

You should try and include both the Bwlch Y Groes and the Gospel Pass, the two highest roads on Wales, and both well worth riding. Also the road between Abergwesyn and Tregaron which includes the Devil’s Staircase.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Elan Valley and then down through Cwmystwyth to Devil's Bridge is a good option.

Mountain Road from Llanidloes to Machynlleth via Dylife is also good, a little further North, how about linking the Lake Vyrnwy- Bwlch- y- Groes Pass route with the mountain road from the southern end of Bala Lake ( Llyn Tegid) - Llanwchllyn village over to the A470 at Trawsfynydd?
Last edited by PaulinBont on Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

PaulinBont wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:06 am Elan Valley and then down through Cwmystwyth to Devil's Bridge is a good option.

Mountain Road from Llanidloes to Machynlleth via Dylife is also good, a little further North, how about linking the Lake Vyrnwy- Gospel Pass route with the mountain road from the southern end of Bala Lake ( Llyn Tegid) - Llanwchllyn village over to the A470 at Trawsfynydd?
We overtook a car coming back to Llanidloes up the steep hill from the lake in a VW Transporter with 4 bikes in a box trailer. I wasn’t driving! Poor guy never new we were coming. Great road but only ever driven it in a van. Will be great on a bike.
Don’t forget you can ride (slowly and carefully) across the bridge to Barmouth. Be courteous though.

Most of Wales seems great to ride but I think the polis are somewhat zealous in some areas.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
joeymc

Post by joeymc »

TomBoyNI wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:24 pm I’m in Wales at the minute, having stopped over for 5 days too. :D

I’ll post up what we did when I get back (boat tomorrow night from Liverpool). It has been great. :D

it will be all roads on this trip. the tiger 1050 would be a handful on the muddy stuff. let me know how you get on!!
devonuk

Post by devonuk »

Be very, that's very, mindful of those pesky speed camera vans who have a habit of parking in some the most obscure places you could imagine :(
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

Where are you getting the ferry to lads? Fishguard, Pembroke or Hollyhead Some great suggestions already .
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

joeymc wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:48 pm
TomBoyNI wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:24 pm I’m in Wales at the minute, having stopped over for 5 days too. :D

it will be all roads on this trip. the tiger 1050 would be a handful on the muddy stuff. let me know how you get on!!

Buddy just to throw a few ideas at you here's the itinerary we worked off, it was a cracking trip...

Day 1 : Rosslare to Fishguard then stayed in Aberdare overnight.

Day 2 : Aberdare to Aberystwyth using this route here : https://www.adventurebikerider.com/disc ... our-wales/

Day 3 : Snowdownia Discovery Route (staying in Aberystwyth) : https://www.adventurebikerider.com/the- ... ycle-tour/ (be prepared for a long day, but a great day)

Day 4 : Glyndwr's Way (staying in Aberystwyth : https://www.adventurebikerider.com/foru ... 40&t=41480 - really enjoyable route.

Day 5 : Aberystwyth to Betws-Y-Coed then to the Liverpool overnight ferry back to Belfast - using this route again : https://www.adventurebikerider.com/foru ... 40&t=41480

- I have done the Wales in a weekend route a few times now - it is great, however this time the traffic was verging on horrendous for parts - schools off and summer holidays I suppose, but just bear that in mind, it was the only negative point I could raise.

Have a great trip! :D
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography

Return to “THE PUB”