Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
HedgeHopper

Re: UK to miss out on cheaper motorcycles

Post by HedgeHopper »

JFC!!!..quick find a bridge to jump off
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

You really need to stop reading this stuff Richard.
You’ll end up with a stroke or heart attack.
It may or may not be true (on both sides of the argument) but reading all the garbage that is being put out isn’t good for anyone’s health.
I am positive both sides will see that all the willy waving will have to stop and common sense talking will have to take place.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I'm touched by your faith in human nature David, but I fear common sense was abandoned some time ago and we are now sleepwalking towards the cliff edge.
Trev

Post by Trev »

DavidS wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:43 pm You really need to stop reading this stuff Richard.
You’ll end up with a stroke or heart attack.
It may or may not be true (on both sides of the argument) but reading all the garbage that is being put out isn’t good for anyone’s health.
I am positive both sides will see that all the willy waving will have to stop and common sense talking will have to take place.
Like you David I'm reasonably confident that something will get sorted out that's short of total disaster but, as a small business owner (70 people, £7M) I am incredibly nervous about the short term implications for our business and team. 80% of our materials are imported from mainland Europe and we export approx 20% of our end product. Any significant delay in customs processing for anything more than a week or two will almost definitely see the end of our export sales to EU and, if we can't get materials for more than a week or so, then our customers will be forced to moved to suppliers who can. Assuming our competitors have similar problems then we won't be much worse or better off than them so it's about how our customers fare during that period that will determine how much of a reduction in our busines we end up with.
If a deal is negotiated that's close to what we have now then the impact on us will be small and will probabaly only mean no pay increases next year and not taking on any more staff to replace the couple due to retire next year. If we have 'no deal' then it will be about survival for us for as long at it takes, that will mean significant cutting back in staffing, zero investment and battening down the hatches. We've done it before (2008/9 banking crisis) and come through it so hopefully we wil be able to again this time if necessary but it will be painful to do so again because of something we actually brought on ourselves for no obvious gain.
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Please can any leave voter who is still of the same opinion point me in the direction of where I might find out if Brexit will work, how will it affect me for the better, and how long that might take.? All I read at the moment, mainly in the media, but on here as well, is as I predicted, it’s all going ‘Tits Up’ . Oh I do hope I’m proved wrong, or that’s my retirement up the Swanny. Who was looking for a bridge?
Richard Simpson Mark II

Well, the Daily Express is (or was) pro Brexit, and now says this

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics ... pean-Union
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

So those dealing with Brexit don’t know the outcome, hope it will be a good one, but making preparations if it isn’t. Thanks for posting, feel assured now and no doubt sleep sound tonight. Still a little bit worrying though.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

It is worrying for many people (me included) and fear is the biggest thing to overcome in many situations in life but it shouldn't be the thing that controls you or stifles change.
The reality is that NOBODY knows what is going to happen anymore than we knew the Banking crisis of 2008 was looming or what it would bring but we are actually still alive.
The glass is half full ;)
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

And who is confident the EU will be in a fit state to continue if 10 years or so, whether or not me leave.
It will surely fall apart soon anyway.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Richard Simpson Mark II

Tonibe63 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:47 am It is worrying for many people (me included) and fear is the biggest thing to overcome in many situations in life but it shouldn't be the thing that controls you or stifles change.
The reality is that NOBODY knows what is going to happen anymore than we knew the Banking crisis of 2008 was looming or what it would bring but we are actually still alive.
The glass is half full ;)

We didn't actually pursue a banking crisis as a matter of policy though, did we?

We didn't actually have a referendum in 2008 which asked..."do you want to crash the economy?"

The rest of the EU is making a decent recovery from the banking crisis...we are stuck with low wages and under-employment. The situation in Northamptonshire today where the local government has barely enough funds to function will soon be repeating itself across the country.

Does anyone still believe we are going to have £350 million a week extra to give to the NHS? Boris admitted it was a lie the day after the referendum.

Return to “THE PUB”