UK to miss out on cheaper motorcycles

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
DavidS

Re: UK to miss out on cheaper motorcycles

Post by DavidS »

Regretfully, I have to agree with hedgehopper.
Working abroad for your company is completely different to moving out lock stock and barrel although, as I had a friend in this situation, where it is for health reasons, it is understandable.

Out of interest, do full time residents in any non UK country, not just the EU, pay taxes to the UK?
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Pint Master wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:20 pm
Not 2000 years ago 96 years ago,Not Romans an Austrian called Kalergi,and what he'd do for us is Genocide.
Angela Merkel won the Kalergi prize in 2010 for furthering his aims.
This is quite interesting, never heard of this guys before so I thought I'd read up on him. He was worried about Russia taking control of Europe so came up with an idea of dividing the world into five countries, with Europe (and it's empires being one) and Britain and it's Empire being another. He was a Freemason and they backed his plan, I think because they wanted to rule the world. He was Austrian pacifist and Hitler hated him because he thought Kalergi's plan would leave Europe too weak to defend itself against America. Kalergi worked to unite Europe in a sort of EU. I think he only wanted Northern Africa and the middle East in Europe was because Spain and France had control of them and he knew they wouldn't like his plan if it didn't include their empires.

I can't believe through all the millions of words I've read about brexit in the last 4 year this guy has never cropped up before!
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Trev

Post by Trev »

HedgeHopper wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:51 pm ...or move?
Thanks for your total lack of understanding but I don't wish to 'move' from the country I was born in and am quite happy in, I simply wish to remain a European citizen as well as a UK citizen. I'm probably wasting time I'll never get back in trying to explain but think of it like this:

I was born and brought up in a small farming village in Hampshire, as were my parents and my Mothers parents before them and I am proud and protective of this wonderful country, our culture, our heritage, our history and our future. In short I am delighted and pleased to be an Englishman.

In addition, my Scottish Grandfather on my Fathers side, and my many friends and relatives in or from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, as well as my English roots, help me feel very strongly that I am also British as well as being 'just' English. I am therefore delighted to also be a British citizen.

In a similar way, I have friends, relatives and colleagues from across mainland Europe and also enjoy the many hundreds of years of joint history and heritage and I am therefore pleased and proud to also be a European citizen.

It is possible to be all three without being 'disloyal' to one or without having to move and I hope there is someway for that to continue.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

DavidS wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:13 pm Regretfully, I have to agree with hedgehopper.
Working abroad for your company is completely different to moving out lock stock and barrel although, as I had a friend in this situation, where it is for health reasons, it is understandable.

Out of interest, do full time residents in any non UK country, not just the EU, pay taxes to the UK?
It will depend on each emigrant's circumstances. I have some interests still in the UK and I receive money from them, so HMRC requires me to make a UK tax declaration each year. But there is a double taxation reciprocal arrangement between France and the UK so I only pay tax in one country (the one I reside in). As Trev above said, someone can live abroad and stand up for the interests of the old country (whether they pay tax there or not is largely irrelevant, as some Cayman Island tax exiles would tell you...!). Personally I am not patriotic (for France or the UK), but I have fond memories of many of my 41 years growing up, educating myself and working professionally in the UK - and I care about the country a great deal. It is painful to see the mess it has got itself into, hi-jacked by the narrow interests of a few extreme nationalists and the self-interested incompetence of the present tory hierarchy - all harnessing the current trend for rejecting expertise and facts in favour of prejudice and ignorance. The reality of leaving will dawn eventually, even on the most deluded and misled of brexiters, but sadly it will be too late and the cost (cultural, social and economic) will be enormously high. Ironically the very exceptionalism they believe the UK is worthy of, due to its sordid imperial past, will be the very thing it has to give up as it sinks into relative global obscurity.
threepot

Post by threepot »

Agree with hedghoper.. If I had myway,I wouldn't allow any expats back in to this country! You left seeking a better life,,good for you. But if the shi t hits the fan,,tuff!! This country can be 'Great' again! We just need a stronger leadership!?
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

We don’t need to be over controlled by the EU to like being in Europe or elsewhere.
Plenty of British ex-pats in NZ, Aus, USA, Arab countries etc. Ok, it might be a faff getting it set up and is selective (but who can blame them) but it is done in reasonably large numbers.
The EU doesn’t need to exist in its current state to have less restrictive (as opposed to ‘more open’) movement.

They have become too drunk with power and a simpler version would still be attractive to me.
However, I never really felt it was the end of the world before the Common Market except when there was a £100 restriction to take out of the UK. But I guess that was our problem, not theirs.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Trev

Post by Trev »

threepot wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:19 pm Agree with hedghoper.. If I had myway,I wouldn't allow any expats back in to this country! You left seeking a better life,,good for you. But if the shi t hits the fan,,tuff!! This country can be 'Great' again! We just need a stronger leadership!?
That's pretty extreme, what next, anyone who takes more than a 24 hours booze cruise to top up on cheap wine and fags? I suppose by the same reasoning you wouldn't let all those EU citizens who have come here to work, return to their own countries either? :D :D
Last edited by Trev on Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pinball1008

Post by pinball1008 »

"Out of interest, do full time residents in any non UK country, not just the EU, pay taxes to the UK?"
Yes they do and UK Government will not allow me to pay tax on my main income elsewhere.
Not all those wandering are lost
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

This is how serious it is.

On Tuesday 24 July, MPs in the House of Commons were heard to repeat ‘no deal is better than a bad deal’.

But for the 7000+ members of the Road Haulage Association who, between them operate nearly 50% of the UK’s 496,000 lorry fleet (and the UK haulage industry as a whole), the prospect of a future without a Brexit deal looks extremely bleak.

A no-deal Brexit will create massive problems for international hauliers – whether UK or mainland Europe based. It is time for a reality check.

Since the prospect of leaving the EU became a reality in June 2016, the Road Haulage Association has been campaigning tirelessly to get the best deal for its members. It is essential – for the people and businesses of mainland Europe and Great Britain that the current system of frictionless borders continues.

For supply chains, customs controls and the controlling of lorry movements the key issues. Should there be no deal and customs controls are established for UK hauliers at every European border, the knock-on effect will be crippling.

According to RHA chief Executive Richard Burnett, “The Dover Strait handles 10,000 lorries each day and processing them through the port is currently seamless.

“The stark reality is that if customs controls are put in place, it will take an average of about 45 minutes to process one truck on both sides of the channel. If that happens then the queues of HGVs in Kent will make the jams seen in the summer of 2015 appear as little more than waiting for the traffic lights to change.”

In March this year Transport Secretary Chris Grayling MP said: “We will maintain a free-flowing border at Dover, we will not impose checks at the port, it is utterly unrealistic to do so. We don't check lorries now, we're not going to be checking lorries in the future. I’m clear that it cannot happen.”

But what about the French?

If they put customs processes in place in March 2019 to check all lorries traveling between the UK and the EU hauliers will be faced with the prospect of coming over to the UK and having to wait for days – even weeks, before they can return home. This will be a huge deterrent to them making the journey at all.

50% of food consumed in the UK’s comes from around the world – of which 70% comes from the EU.

It is not just customs, ECMT* permits for lorries to carry goods internationally will be required. For UK operators these are limited to less than 5% of the number of licences currently issued. If that scenario becomes reality, most UK operators will unable to go and get the goods themselves. Without special arrangements EU operators will also need to use ECMT permits.

British hauliers that make international journeys will be forced out of business, causing irreparable damage to the supply chain. The foods we take for granted, oranges from Spain for example will become an expensive luxury. Supply and demand for basic foodstuffs could even mean the introduction of food rationing. Is this just scaremongering? No. Could it be the death knell for the thousands of hauliers that deliver 98% of the UK economy? Quite possibly. B

A Brexit without a deal will put thousands of HGV drivers out of a job and millions without the food they have come to expect. With just over 6 months to go until the UK leaves the EU, the time for political grandstanding is over. UK hauliers need practical solutions to resolve practical problems.

Notes to Editors

An ECMT permit (European Conference of Ministers of Transport) is needed to operate lorries above 3.5 tonnes on international journeys where other arrangements do not exist. (EU and other bilateral agreements cover most trips now, the EU Community Licences that allow lorry movement now within the EU will cease to be valid when the UK leaves the EU).

ECMT permits are valid for one calendar year and allow an unlimited number of journeys within that period. The UK does not currently issue monthly permits.

Permits may be transferred between vehicles but are valid for only one vehicle at a time. The permit and a log book must be kept on board the lorry for the whole journey.

There are limited numbers of ECMT permits allowed to be issued by the UK – if every permit was issued to a Euro VI lorry no more than 1,224 UK lorries could work on UK – EU trade. (this is less than 5% the number of Community Licences used by UK international operators now).

Transiting through EU States to places outside the EU may also require use of ECMT permits.

Without special arrangements for EU lorries they will require ECMT permits to enter or transit through the UK. These are limited by ECMT quota too.

Additional Data

In the past year 4.8 million driver-accompanied freight vehicles moved between the UK and Europe. Around 4 million of these movements were by ferry through Dover or by shuttle through the Channel Tunnel.

According to HMRC, around 99% of these did not require any customs clearance process at all, the can lorries simply drive straight onto the road network on arrival.

Customs controls do not have to take place at the border. There are also checks on agricultural produce that will need to take place at Border Inspection Posts in the event of a no deal.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Return to “THE PUB”