the inequalities of being a hgv driver

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Tramp

the inequalities of being a hgv driver

Post by Tramp »

Okay....ive driven hgv all types for 25 years and yesterday and today im hobestly thinking of calling it quits....

My lorry has a work supplied non fixed phone without bluetooth hands free etc...it rings constantly :twisted: ...i egnore it ...throw it across thd cab in rage :o often..

But yesterday i picked it up and for them few minutes i will pay dearly...was stopped by the inept police as i was drivng at 20mph , he had no forms on him so had to wait for hus college 30mins...

Gof back to work still in a rage and explained to boss....looking at 6 pojnts and 200 quid fine pkus whatever the traffic commisioner deaks out...most likely 2-4 weeks licence suspension :cry: ..

Worst bit us commpany will probably dissmuss me as havd a non mobile polucy yet they supply them and call you...

Life sucks...but hold on im a mother taking kidds to school late and eating toast and yakibg shif yo other bored housewifes....never get stopped even if they did it wouldnt effect there life greatly..

So lesson for me ....is itcreally worth being a hgv driver as we are easy targets....yes their are some horrific accidents and folks loose their lifes ....

Its a mixed up fucking world we so called live or is that exist it driving 60+ hours with unsociable hours to boot...

Bye
johnny boy

Re: the inequalities of being a hgv driver

Post by johnny boy »

No sympathy here I'm afraid. Drive a truck myself and have a phone issued similar to you i.e. no hands-free etc. I just put it on silent and out of reach, when I stop for a break I check it for missed calls.
Probably not what you want to hear but the penalties are not worth the risk.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Stewie

Post by Stewie »

As you know, I'm a trucker to, when it comes to phones I always have mine on silent no vibration on or indeed any other notifications, that way I'm not a slave to the phone and only look at it when I need to do something.
I see loads of drivers on there phones, just give them a quick blast on the air horns, I don't really think you can lay the blame at the company's door, your cab, your phone and all that, hope they don't lay you off, but bit of a wake up call, excuse the pun...
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Wasnt looking or expected sympathy... Just really pissed at my actions... If i keep my job phone will be in the back locker lol....

The commissiner will have me for breakfast i think... Zero tollerance
pinball1008

Post by pinball1008 »

I'm unsure where the inequalities are Russ? Using a non handsfree phone in any vehicle is illegal, not just HGV's. Some get caught and some don't.
Not all those wandering are lost
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Zero sympathy here as well.
You seem to be getting angry a lot as well (Slinging your phone around the cab) not a good combination, quick temper and driving a HGV.
I think it would be a good idea to quit the HGV game and look for something less stressful.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Tramp wrote: ↑Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:00 pm Okay....ive driven hgv all types for 25 years and yesterday and today im hobestly thinking of calling it quits....

My lorry has a work supplied non fixed phone without bluetooth hands free etc...it rings constantly :twisted: ...i egnore it ...throw it across thd cab in rage :o often..

But yesterday i picked it up and for them few minutes i will pay dearly...was stopped by the inept police as i was drivng at 20mph , he had no forms on him so had to wait for hus college 30mins...

Gof back to work still in a rage and explained to boss....looking at 6 pojnts and 200 quid fine pkus whatever the traffic commisioner deaks out...most likely 2-4 weeks licence suspension :cry: ..

Worst bit us commpany will probably dissmuss me as havd a non mobile polucy yet they supply them and call you...

Life sucks...but hold on im a mother taking kidds to school late and eating toast and yakibg shif yo other bored housewifes....never get stopped even if they did it wouldnt effect there life greatly..

So lesson for me ....is itcreally worth being a hgv driver as we are easy targets....yes their are some horrific accidents and folks loose their lifes ....

Its a mixed up fucking world we so called live or is that exist it driving 60+ hours with unsociable hours to boot...

Bye
You are right about the invite from your TC...brace yourself.

But, get your retaliation in against your boss.

Say calm in front of the TC: he/she will ask if it were a work-related call.

Answer yes: and add that it was a phone provided by your employer, who insists that you use it and won't give you a hands-free.

The result: DVSA over them like a swarm of wasps...the TM hauled in front of the TC, O licence suspended or curtailed. TM may get CPC taken away.

Revenge...a dish best eaten cold! He's going to sack you, but the whole shebang could collapse around his ears.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Sent you a PM in reply to your message.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Hi Tramp,

A few years ago I lost my licence for speeding and posted on here and got (rightly) roasted.

I can't help but empathise with you. It's a shitty system your business has laid on you, they've set you up to fail.

Alas there is no way out but to accept your actions and move on. Fuck the noise, put your helmet on (or head to the workshop if you can't) and make the best of it :)
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

i dont really understand why its not hands free

my missuses mobile is bare minimun 6 quid a month ..but connects easy to a ten quid hands free unit off e bay ...ditto mine ...wjat are they using that wont connect hands free ..even got a set of bluetooth sungasses for 6 quid ..what century are they in ?

surley its much better to be in touch operating a haulage firm ...dont make any sense for them to be in tha dark ages

hope it turns out ok
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map

Return to β€œTHE PUB”