the inequalities of being a hgv driver

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Tink

Re: the inequalities of being a hgv driver

Post by Tink »

I've been a HGV driver for 20 years, and you should know better πŸ™.... I wouldn't entertain working for a company that can't provide safe and legal use of phones... Think you need to change jobs.
Hoggyf

Post by Hoggyf »

I'm going to buck the trend and say that you seem a decent bloke, will have looked at the risks when you decided to answer it and did it, we all do stuff we know is wrong, speeding etc and take the risk, you did you got caught, doesn't mean you can't vent on here and you know how many people text and drive, I see them all the time driving along head in there hands, At least your eyes were on the road.
Sometimes the punishment doesn't fit the crime
Maybe pre-empt the disciplinary and go to your employer about the lack of hands free phone supplied like was suggested.
Then:
Honda MB5, Honda MBX125, 350LC, RGV250, MTX125, GasGas JTX250, CM 644 DS, BMW R1100S, Beta Rev3 250, Beta Rev4T, Honda XL700V Transalp, BMW F800 GS, Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Now:
Montesa 4RT, Triumph Tiger 800, Beta Alp, Montesa 315
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

I've been out of driving for 18 years now but even back in the day our phones were held in secure metal cages on the dash so that you couldn't hold them, your employers are w*ankers Russ.

That doesn't mean I condone your actions but get out of driving, it's much too stressful for you.
one-legged adventurer
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

Brenhden wrote: ↑Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:07 pm Hi Tramp,

A few years ago I lost my licence for speeding and posted on here and got (rightly) roasted.

I can't help but empathise with you. It's a shitty system your business has laid on you, they've set you up to fail.

Alas there is no way out but to accept your actions and move on. Fuck the noise, put your helmet on (or head to the workshop if you can't) and make the best of it :)
i remember that bren seams a long time ago

steve
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

ollydog wrote: ↑Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:07 pm
Brenhden wrote: ↑Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:07 pm Hi Tramp,

A few years ago I lost my licence for speeding and posted on here and got (rightly) roasted.

I can't help but empathise with you. It's a shitty system your business has laid on you, they've set you up to fail.

Alas there is no way out but to accept your actions and move on. Fuck the noise, put your helmet on (or head to the workshop if you can't) and make the best of it :)
i remember that bren seams a long time ago

steve
Yeah it was a few years ago. I learnt a few important lessons:
If you catch trains everywhere you can sit and enjoy a beer while you travel.
If you open a beer on a national express you look like a tramp...
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

Despite having a vocational licence myself I have zero sympathy, despite knowing the law regarding mobile phones, he chose to break the law. Also the OP is either being run ragged by his boss, allowing himself to get overly stressed for no reason, & causing his frequent cab rages.
Time to look at the job they’re doing and find ways to improve how they do it, otherwise the stress of doing the job will kill you, or possibly someone else.
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Having previously worked in the haulage industry, i know how they can sometimes push you by calling all the time. Play the game, when the phone rings, find somewhere safe to stop, keep the tacho on other work, have a drink, get your pen and paper ready and call the office. Apologise for the delay in ringing back, tell them you had to find somewhere safe to stop so you could call them. After the call, do a walk-around check of your vehicle and set off again. When you are late getting to your destination, explain you had to keep stopping to ring the office.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7

Return to β€œTHE PUB”