Annual insurance trawl...

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
lancashirelad

Annual insurance trawl...

Post by lancashirelad »

It's that time of year again the bike insurance is due, so I thought I'd try Aviva who insure my Citigo for £160 but the quote for the bike was £201!! my renewal with Lynbrook is £145 they're quite good no charges for changes during the year etc, Bennets is the best quote £85 but you do hear a few tales about them to be honest. Some of them seem a lot especially as I've 18yrs NCB but Aviva only allow a max of 5yrs I was always happy with C Nash until they sold out now it's a minefield choosing one?
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
OB1

Re: Annual insurance trawl...

Post by OB1 »

Good old Carole Nash, eh...

I've been with them since 1997 and normally just go with the auto-renewal quote when it comes through the door. This year, I just happened to be on holiday when the Tiger was due for renewal - the letter came before I went away and I noticed that it had gone from £140 to £150 fully comp, so I was happy for the auto-renewal to go ahead... but I didn't actually read the letter. So, when I returned from my holiday, 2 days after the insurance was due to renew, I read the letter and realised that it wasn't going to auto-renew... oops! I was straight on the phone to them to sort it thinking that I may have a grace period but, after 20 minutes of going through my details, I was told that I would have to take out a new policy. I was put through to the new policy team and, after another 20 minutes of giving the same details, I was told that my new insurance would be £250! Not likely, said I and I asked why the difference from the renewal quote. He then tells me that because my job has changed (it hadn't) and I was now working in wholesale, it encompassed all aspects of wholesale including alcohol distribution... I work for an IT company. He changed that little detail to bring it down to £220 but I still wasn't happy because, as far as I could see, nothing had changed. I told them that I wasn't going to be getting my insurance from them and hung up... then went straight to the Carole Nash website and bought the same insurance with the same details for £180... still not happy but better than the "real person" on the phone could give me.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Been with Motor cycle Direct for a few years. Normally auto renew as with some of my add-ons (namely auxillary fuel tank).
Why is it there
What is it purpose
What's it made of
What does it carry
How much does it carry
That sort of thing
Anyway this year there was a jump from £160 to £190.
So spent a few hours on PC and on phone get a quote from Bennet's for £125 but they would need more info on fuel so sent of for review.
Meanwhile I phone Motor cycle Direct tell them I have a quote with Bennett's could they match or better it. 5 minutes later yes no problem same policy as before with break down cover added for matching price.

Thanks that'll do.
Lady on phone was surprised the supervisor had agreed new policy so quickly.
Pays to check then get back to your insurer
Craig-SM

Post by Craig-SM »

Carol Nash hiked up my premium this at renewal so had a shop around and was recommended BeMoto. Very competitive quotes along with full cover including riding gear.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I had a similar problem with Carole Nash(been with them for years--maximum no claims etc-and for the bikes it was AVIVA--they are "brokers" after all). The premium had hiked massively so I got on the phone and asked why---the guy was actually quite helpful, spurred on by the fact that at price quoted I wasn't going to renew--AND I had other business with them anyway. After "I'll see what I can do", speaking to his supervisor and so on, I ended up with no increase over the previous year--a saving of probably near £200 on the quote! I reckon they simply try it on--and apparently car premiums have DROPPED this year by an average of about £90.
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

So I've messed about getting quotes here n there & the best is still Bennets, but I'm wary of them, C Nash is next best but I know from past experience with them they make their money on the "extras" during the year I don't need breakdown cover as we have that with Auto Aid for the wifes MG & it covers me at no cost, I even rang them to make sure it covers me on a motorcycle & it does :D going to ring my current insurer tomorrow se what can be done I would like to stay with them BUT I can't see the point in throwing £30-40 away to be honest?
I used to be indecisive now I just can't make my mind up :D
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I got a good deal from Carol Nash this year. By letting them handle my car insurance too, they not only beat the renewal premium on the car from another insurer, they also got a reduction off my multibike insurance which was already placed with them.
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

I went with my present insurer in the end, some were better on price but worse on the excess etc so I got fed up of evaluating them to be honest.
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

My renewal has come through from Hastings. As always it's gone up and the normal phone call to reduce it only knocked £8 off, so went with Bennetts, £40 cheaper and another £20 off via Quidco, happy days :)
Trev

Post by Trev »

My renewal from CN came through last week at £473, up from £361 last year. I did add another bike through the year, making it seven in total, but only a Moto Guzzi V7 so not the most powerful or expensive bike in the world.

Three of the bikes are 'oldies' and hardly ridden and, as I've decided to try and give them all a proper does of TLC over the Winter, I went online and got a price for the 4 remaining bikes from Bennetts of £320 (no breakdown insurance) and went back to CN to see whether they could beat or match that. When the removed the three older bikes only the GSXR1100K reduced th premium and that was only by £27 so I said 'no thanks, I'll switch'. The chap was very keen to keep me with them and we eventually offered £400 for all 7 bikes, same travel insurance, persoanl injury, ride a mates bike, etc as I've had with them for the last six years.

I thought that was pretty reasonable as saved me the hassle of going through the change process, explaining/agreeing the mods to some, making sure I had breakdown cover in place and still having three bikes uninsured for theft, etc

I did go through the painful process of getting alternative single bike quotes for all my bikes and, even with only being able to use my no claims on only one bike, it didn't work out much more, about £500 in total. If CN ever do limit their multibike policy in the future this is appears to be an option.

Return to “THE PUB”