Syndrome X

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
AlanHolt

Syndrome X

Post by AlanHolt »

The past couple of weeks have been traumatic to say the least, my wife having to be air lifted to hospital twice with suspected heart attacks at the ripe age of 53. It turns out she has a condition called Syndrome X, where the small arteries surrounding the heart go into spasm and restrict blood flow. It isn't life threatening if the heart is good. Does anyone on here know anyone with Syndrome X who can explain how it affects your lifestyle post diagnosis? We feel she is in a worse position than had she actually had a heart attack and needed a bypass or stents, because the drugs are making her feel ill, and without them, she risks having another attack, whereas people who have had stents/bypass go on to live a normal life.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Craig-SM

Re: Syndrome X

Post by Craig-SM »

Sorry to hear your bad news and I know nothing about Syndrome X. Medication is the preferred treatment before any surgery due to the risks involved. If you try looking for alternative to the drugs your wife is on and then speak to her consultant about a change due to the side effects she is having. There may also be a period of time for the body to adapt to the drugs until she stops feeling ill from their side effects or additional medication to prevent the side effects.
Don’t rush for surgery as I am living proof of complications from routine surgery
zimtim

Re: Syndrome X

Post by zimtim »

As Craig says. It can take time for any meds to take effect, it can also take time to find the right balance of meds.
Any other underlying medical conditions will also be affected by her heart condition, and meds for these conditions will also affect the way in which her heart meds work.

It took over a year for us to find the right balance of meds when the lady of the house had massive heart failure in 2012. Even today she has to have regular blood tests in regards to the heart condition and her diabetes, depending on results depends on dosages for the next period.

Your best bet is to actually sit down with your cardiology team and raise your concerns with them. They will of course always tell you the worst case scenario.

Return to “THE PUB”