Oldies Three Peak Adventure

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Tonibe63

Oldies Three Peak Adventure

Post by Tonibe63 »

Having had our thoughts about starting the El Camino walk scuppered by minor'ish' health issues (causing the travel insurance industry to suck air in through their teeth and shake their heads) we have decided to attempt the UK Three Peaks walk but spread it out over a 2 week period rather than 24 hours, when I say decided I actually mean we leave tomorrow :shock: :? . To add an element of adventure we will be riding our bikes to/from/between the 3 peaks, which for my Wife will be her first time riding her own bike in Wales and Scotland 8-) .
Preparations so far consist of new 'proper' walking boots, 'proper' backpacks, base layers, waterproofs, camelbacks etc etc, a look at the map to see which roads go where and ...................... 50+ years of loading our bodies with carbohydrates :oops: .
Following a bit of research we've decided to do Ben Nevis first, then Scarfell and finally Snowdon which will also fit in well with visiting relatives in The Lakes area.
My initial concerns (by that I mean "oh shite we go tomorrow" :shock: ) are how tough is it and how well marked are the paths?
This is the furthest we've been out of our comfort zone since ............... tandem paragliding from 6,000 feet so any advice much appreciated ................... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers, Tony
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
diggermanbob

Re: Oldies Three Peak Adventure

Post by diggermanbob »

It will be a walk in the park for you Tony !!! The national park that is :D Good luck and enjoy
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

The paths to all peaks are so well used that they are so easy to see.

I can recommend the Ben Nevis Inn & Bunkhouse for great food and friendly staff http://www.ben-nevis-inn.co.uk

TTFN

Hugh.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Thanks Hugh, I can confirm both food and staff were excellent at the Ben Nevis Inn.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

We've now got a couple of spare days to get from Fort William to Kendal so anybody suggest areas to visit on the way South, there's a big area of Argyle and Bute that we've never ridden so is it worth it?
Craig-SM

Post by Craig-SM »

When you new boots , I hope you mean new and broken boots. May seem obvious but make sure you have suncream and adding some electrolyte tablets such High5 Zero to your water replaces your lost salts and prevents cramps.
Craig-SM

Post by Craig-SM »

and enjoy yourselves.
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Why dont you pop over to Northern Ireland while you are up in Scotland and climb Slieve Donard & make it 4 peaks!
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Ride report on Argyle & Bute here

viewtopic.php?f=138&t=44924

A lovely part of Scotland
Apitson

Post by Apitson »

How have you got on so far? Have you just done the first peak? There is a group of 20 people from work that are doing this for a local charity starting tomorrow afternoon... all in 24 hours. They are doing it the other way round to you heading north but have got the relative comfort of minibuses to ship them about.

I like the sound of spreading it out over a period of time and riding around/between the climbs.

Pics Pics Pics!

Return to “THE PUB”