ear plugs

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
diggermanbob

Re: ear plugs

Post by diggermanbob »

Tramp wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:50 pm Lol steve you need them :o ...you forfetting those unfortunate soles in the next valkey when your sleeping :lol: ....i aiways wear wax ones when in the lorry slepping in laybys :o ...didny get on with them in hot temps though ....
Your not wrong there Russ you could hear Steve snoring in the next county :lol:
Craig-SM

Post by Craig-SM »

I’ve had problems with my ears due to damage and I’ve struggled to get ear plugs to fit without casing discomfort. Tried various foam and silicone ones but in the end went for custom moulded with built in speakers. All day riding sent a problem any more and no ringing noises keeping me awake afterwards. Expensive but worth it too.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Craig....ihave constant ringing in one ear.....wax ear plugs make it worse....the docs cant help me :o ...ive come to live with it....know what you mean about it getting worse sfter wearing plugs for a long time....

Life sucks sometimes
Craig-SM

Post by Craig-SM »

My left ear was damaged in an explosion and the ear canal was distorted too so I struggled to get ear plugs that would in either ear. Howard Leight Quiets even though they look big would fit in my ears and were the of the disposables but after a couple of hours would become uncomfortable and the pain would transmit to my jaw and I’d have to stop and rest. Hours after riding my ears would continue to throb which would keep me awake on a night.
I was at the point of giving up biking as it was becoming a chore and not enjoyable. I’d tried different different helmets including Schuberth, Shoei, Arai and Shark. Some made it worse with the pulsing effect you get from the wind/screen turbulence. The Schuberth despite being touted as one of the quietest helmets on the market was actually the worst for my ears.
I was suggested custom moulded earplugs but balked at the price of them but compared to what I lost on helmets I could have bought them 2-3 times over. I ended up going for ACS Customs as I wanted the built in speakers and heard good things from them. They were great from the get go, advising me on which ones to go for which were the Communicator Pro 27 with a 50cm custom cable length. Once ordered they email you a voucher to get your ear impressions done by a Boots audiologist, two weeks later the ear plugs were with me. A bit awkward to fit at first as you push and twist them into your ear but once you’ve done it a few times it’s easy. The fit is perfect and the first time I rode with them not a bit of discomfort. I’ve since been on a few long tours and they’ve been great. A bonus is that they have filters too to keep the harmful loud noises out but allow you to still hear people to talking to you and you don’t get that horrible thing were you hear your own voice in your head when talking as they still allow air to move through them instead of blocking off your ear canal.
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

diggermanbob wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:28 pm
Tramp wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:50 pm Lol steve you need them :o ...you forfetting those unfortunate soles in the next valkey when your sleeping :lol: ....i aiways wear wax ones when in the lorry slepping in laybys :o ...didny get on with them in hot temps though ....
Your not wrong there Russ you could hear Steve snoring in the next county :lol:
Just a vicious rumour :lol: never heard myself :lol:
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

I use these :

https://www.thevisorshop.com/en/gb/Alpi ... 21516.aspx

I really rate them, and can easily wear them all day. The little applicator is so handy for getting the plugs seated nice and deep.

I have tried the foam ones, and have two pairs of moulded plugs but I find these ones brilliant, and use nothing else now. I also got their sleeping set too, which are a bit softer and are great at cutting out unwanted noise when trying to get some zzzs
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Craig-SM wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:30 pm you don’t get that horrible thing where you hear your own voice in your head
I get other voices in my head too. Is that normal? :shock:

Seriously though, interesting post Craig. Glad you found a solution.
Barftone

Post by Barftone »

I always used max lite foams with good results but finally plunged into the custom moulded ones. £180 for 2 sets, one of them with bluetooth speakers built in. Pretty impressed with them (as I should be for that kinda money). The speakers are not great with music (poor bass response...am I expecting too much?) but good for radio 5 ranting and the odd background tune at 70. I would not want to get the Bluetooth control unit wet so no good on a rainy day. It was one of the companies at the NEC show. They promised delivery by Christmas and I could not get hold of them despite ringing and emailing all through Jan to moan as not delivered. They showed up early Feb in post with no apology. I'll try to dig out the company name later. So yes they are good comfortwise and keeping the road noise down but maybe use the company recommended in the earlier post.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Cheers guys, ive decided on the copies from china which are probably the same minus mark up...will report back.... :lol:
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

DIY in-ear moulded plugs like these. Loads on ebay and Amazon at even less money. Last product I got was last summer around 10-12quid

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/proguar ... 433364-01/

I use mine all day in the summer on a small rather noisy tractor and find them comfortable and I can hear the radio but stop the worst noise. Great under a helmet on any journey too. They are not much good with helmet speakers, but as I don't use them, it's not an issue!!
;)

Easy to wash and keep clean, I just wash my hands with soap and wash the plugs at the same time, dry on a towel, and leave for tomorrow...

Return to “THE PUB”