Debate - Operation Snap - Gwent

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Cone

Debate - Operation Snap - Gwent

Post by Cone »

So I noticed a page online. Gwent police are now requesting images of people contravening traffic laws are sent in so they can be assessed for prosecution.

Operation Snap will investigate offences of Dangerous Driving, Driving without Due Care and Attention, Careless Driving, using a mobile phone, not wearing a seat belt, contravening a red traffic light, contravening solid white lines, and other offences where the driver is clearly not in proper control of the vehicle.

I'm not sure this is really a good thing, I mean none of us obey every law to the letter we all deviate slightly but I am adamant I am a safe rider and driver. I don't know what to think but I do know I see a dash cam in cars probably 1 in 10 and on almost every motorcycle.

I don't really know what to make of this, certainly if I had a letter through the post saying i had been reported and was being investigate i'd be mightily pissed off.

:!: :?:

https://gosafe.org/faq/operation-snap/
qcnr

Re: Debate - Operation Snap - Gwent

Post by qcnr »

So the Welsh police want everyone to turn stasi snitch.... :shock:
WIBO

Re: Debate - Operation Snap - Gwent

Post by WIBO »

Good debate subject.... as a retired member of one the finest police forces IMO, the RUC G.C. I'd first suggest getting the suits out of their offices and back to the police work they were trained to do to begin with. One lf my last bosses, a Chief Super' before he was murdered by IRA scummers ( under car booby trap bomb) he thought nothing of going out on the beat and taking on normal routine prosecutions when deserved. Utmost respect for him for that alone.

One thing that appears to be across the board is that there's never enough officers on the ground usually caused by others scrambling to get into a nine to five and the resulting mismanagement caused by this same group of incompetent people .......there's plenty pushing pens and flying desks.

IMO if you don't need police powers to be in an office then why are you actually there? There are of course a small number of exceptions, e.g. injured officers etc.

In this respect, when submitting your evidence to finger people you'll need to provide a statement and appear in court as I'd want to have you cross examined if I'm going to be. The basic principle of every person has a right to face his accuser.

So if your'e reported, and you think your'e in the right then by all means take it fully to court and make the snitch go too. With any luck he'll make a statement of withdrawal and it'll get thrown out if he's not prepared to put his money where his mouth is.

This will weed out the devious and or malicious reporters.

As with real contact with a real person, if you have an excuse you can at least give it to the officer and he can use his discretion at the time as to whether or not to prosecute, Unfortunately the suits are removing these same discretionary powers so that they can keep their figures up.

Same with a speed camera idea........it's hard to go to court and tell the judge three months later that your were rushing to the birth of your first child......at least if stopped at the time, you can at least tell the officer that's why you're tramping on, and he can decide at the material time.

Suits love figures and IMO by offering out this idea then they think their statistics will rise and they can be seen to be carrying out a sterling service come the end of the year.

Just put more cops out on the ground...simple really......but how many will want to give up nine to five, weekends off and no night shift ?

Easier to get the public to do the work.

Suits....indeed, suits..... they really do come up with astounding ideas.

:D
Will It Buff Out?

Return to “THE PUB”