Car Route v Motorcycle Route v Cycle Route

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
SteveW

Car Route v Motorcycle Route v Cycle Route

Post by SteveW »

Like most on here I've got a choice of personal transport...... car (in my case van) Motorcycle and Cycle (either ebike or normal bike) I'm not talking pleasure travel here, I'm talking necessary trips.
From my home I have a few regular destinations I visit involving trips of distances between a couple of miles up to 60 miles.
I find the routes I take differ depending on my mode of transport.
In the van my main mission is traffic avoidance, I'll travel a route of 15 miles instead of a route of 12 miles to avoid stop/start traffic, I'll also, where possible plan the time of my journey to avoid busy times. On longer routes I keep tuned to radio 2 (unless Chris Evans is on) for traffic updates and use motorways where possible.
On a Motorcycle I've got more freedom, I actually get some pleasure from slipping through busy traffic and using my motorcycle advantage of acceleration and narrow width. So I'll often cut through towns, take direct routes and put the busy traffic to the sword.
On a motorcycle I can make use of urban shortcuts, I'm not averse to slipping between bollards that block four wheel traffic, every set of lights I filter to the front. If my wheels stop turning I class that as a mini defeat.
But.....for turning a short(ish) urban journey into a mini adventure I can't beat cycling, especially on an ebike.
I'm on a mission to absolutely avoid busy roads, I research my routes to maximise use of cycleways, bridleways, canals.....everywhere that a motor vehicle can't access.
I often find that an interesting little road that's got a "no through route" sign, but is obviously heading in the direction I want to be heading....actually finishes in a footpath or bollards preventing cars from passing, so on a cycle I can get through.
Google earth is a great asset for planning traffic free cycle routes.
boboneleg

Re: Car Route v Motorcycle Route v Cycle Route

Post by boboneleg »

I mainly avoid Radio 2 because that twat Evans but Steve Wright is even worse, Radio 5 live for me. I will do the same as you in that I'll try to avoid busy areas at all cost and I hate motorways on a bike.
one-legged adventurer
SteveW

Re: Car Route v Motorcycle Route v Cycle Route

Post by SteveW »

boboneleg wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:40 am I mainly avoid Radio 2 because that twat Evans but Steve Wright is even worse, Radio 5 live for me. I will do the same as you in that I'll try to avoid busy areas at all cost and I hate motorways on a bike.
I should have said....."I plan the time of my van journey to when Ken Bruce is on"

Return to “THE PUB”