Xmas day ride out

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Hoggyf

Xmas day ride out

Post by Hoggyf »

First Xmas on my Todd this year after splitting up with the Mrs so decided today I'd go out on the bike, pretty much come what may. So today's weather is wet, windy and miserable, ideal for a ride out. So wet weather gear on and headed out and surprised to see as many cars out and about, I live on the edge of the Lake District so plenty of good routes but a favourite is the Newlands valley and Honister pass so that was where I was headed.
Within 3 miles I decided to stop and put my rain suit on and wished I had a plastic bag in the top box, (read a tip about putting a bag over your boots before putting them into the leggings) so after hopping on one leg at the aside of the A66 back to it heading west. The wind was hellish getting blown 3 to 4 feet offline at times but still felt good to be out on the bike. The bit past Keswick on the high bridge was particularly interesting as I was passing a couple of cars at the time, the Citroen I'd followed for about 5 miles at this point buggered off into the distance at about 90 mph which meant I'd didn't have to watch his constant braking while he was 10foot off the back of the car in front. :mrgreen:
Down to Keswick and along past Portinscale then turn left in to Braithwaite where no one was about and slowly start to climb the Newlands Valley, very wet now with several large puddles and still surprisingly lots of cars pulling into the side for me. The run up the valley was getting worse, :o tight hairpins with lots of run off water, at times it was like riding in a river, looking up to see the run off from the fells was epic, the power in the water looked amazing and was so white then in the becks next to the road the water was crystal clear.
I stopped at the top of the pass to take a pic of the waterfall to the side and the bloody bike was nearly blown out from under me, I had to out my stand down to hold it the wind was so strong, it was also blowing the bike backwards so very quick pic then off down into Buttermere, quite gingerly in case it blew me towards the edge it was that strong.
Left turn in Buttermere and head towards Honister, puddles are getting bigger and deeper soaking my feet (must buy some waterproof boots!) passed a couple of walkers with their dog and tried to work who was the most mad, by now the water on the road was getting worse with lots of rocks and gravel washed off the fell, once you get past the end of the lake it opens out in to the bottom of Honister pass which is steep sided so the wind was funnelling down towards me, swerving for the suicidal sheep and dodging the loose gravel and stone I kept climbing, just slow ly due to the wind, about 25mph but the wind got worse about half way up, you could see it gusting in the rain and it blew me sideways towards the side wall of the section I was on so at that point decided I was being silly as its steep, exposed and lots of tight hairpins with big drops further up so decided to turn round and return the same way. Splashing through the puddle my feet were soaked and cold and my gloves were soaked to so back toward Braithwaite then along past Keswick on the A66 and coming off the roundabout felt I had to overtake the Porsche in front up out of Keswick, childish but never tiresome.
Back home stoves lit, one to dry my gear the other to warm me up, beef in the cooker for my Xmas dinner and a cuppa until the beefs ready.
All in all not a bad day
Happy Christmas all ImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Then:
Honda MB5, Honda MBX125, 350LC, RGV250, MTX125, GasGas JTX250, CM 644 DS, BMW R1100S, Beta Rev3 250, Beta Rev4T, Honda XL700V Transalp, BMW F800 GS, Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Now:
Montesa 4RT, Triumph Tiger 800, Beta Alp, Montesa 315
Mike Wright

Re: Xmas day ride out

Post by Mike Wright »

looks like a greatday out..happy christmas
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Mad
Good on you
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
herman

Post by herman »

Most excellent work sir. Weather has only just turned here in Gloucester so we were out all day and dryish
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Hoggyf

Post by Hoggyf »

I did intend to take a few more pics, but it was kinda biblical rain and wind so thought better of it. Definitely need some waterproof gloves, which I think every time I'm out in the rain.
Then:
Honda MB5, Honda MBX125, 350LC, RGV250, MTX125, GasGas JTX250, CM 644 DS, BMW R1100S, Beta Rev3 250, Beta Rev4T, Honda XL700V Transalp, BMW F800 GS, Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Now:
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Nice report, thanks for posting, think we're going to get the same weather tonight :(
XF650

Post by XF650 »

NIce one! Love the Lakes, fantastic roads and great scenery, no matter what the weather.

I only managed to escape for about an hour today on the old XT in the Peak District - very few people about so pretty much had the roads and trails to myself, just the way I like it! ;)
ullukk

Post by ullukk »

Good stuff!!, Thanks for posting, went for little ride to seaways on xmas eve morning, cafe was already shut for christmas hols but wasn't bothered, roads was damp but virtually empty so it was a pleasant ride, gunna get out today for a couple of hours and hoping everyone is couched out with xmas dinner burnout so I can have the road to myself again!!.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.
Hoggyf

Post by Hoggyf »

Today's ride out was much drier, the sun was shining but quite cold and tonight the frosts in hard, snow forecast as well so doubt the big bike will be out until next year whereas the Montesa might get out on New Year's Day!
Today's drama was riding into Carlisle and felt something jump against my back, the bloody top box had come undone and jumped onto the back seat up against me, how it didn't roll off down the road I don't know, must check that regularly now!
ImageImageIMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201712 ... 0276b0.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Then:
Now:

Return to “THE PUB”