New TRF website

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
linssen

Re: New TRF website

Post by linssen »

At the risk of painting a target on my head, I'm actually one of the volunteers who built the new system. Obviously there's a lot of strong opinion about the new stream of chat on the home page, and I'm taking it in. It's a starting point, and we genuinely want to make it a top notch tool for current members as well as prospective.

There are a lot of other things we spent a ton of time on, and one of the more important ones to me was fixing the registration and renewal process. I think we made that a lot better. It's also cheaper to run than the old system, so we've got a bit more cash for the fund.

I'm not a moderator: I'm on the technical side, but I'm listening to everything. We've already got plans to add more features and functionality, as well as removing some. If anyone wants to chip in privately, do drop me a PM.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Well, seriously, if you've made the on-line joining process easier then well done. It was certainly well overdue. I had several calls over the years from people trying to join the TRF who could not penetrate the previous system.

I think a perusal of the comments both on the Trail Riding Talk section of the new TRF website and here will give you a broad idea of what and where the issues are with the new site.

Good luck with sorting it out. The annual renewal emails are being sent out today, so I fear that time is not on your side when it comes to presenting a solution that will be acceptable to the members.

We've all seen, very clearly, what is acceptable to the directors. I have written to them c/o the membership secretary outlining my concerns in broad terms. If they want more detail, they are welcome to contact me.

Good luck with the redesign of the new website.
petecam

Post by petecam »

linssen wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:37 pm At the risk of painting a target on my head, I'm actually one of the volunteers who built the new system.

Well done for sticking your head above the parapet and well done for helping out. I don't think anyone would have beef with you for technical assistance.

I think the growing feeling is the old forum was liked by most people and was very popular until it began to get over moderated under the new regime which I think was 2 or so years ago. I certainly have frequented it less and less lately.

Now that I cannot use my existing login on the new site I'm not sure I will even bother to resister again. I'm not some dyed in the wool technophobe, I work in the technology sector and I'm a regular social media user (including FB) however this seems to be (unless you can explain why) change for change sake.

However I think a change in communication methods could have been swallowed up by most if it wasn't for the attitude of the TRF hierarchy which appears to be p*ssing people off.

At the end of the day unlike "Brexit" Im personally more than happy to "TRFexit" !

I have met some wonderful people in TRF Suffolk, Cambridge and further afield, but I'm sure they won't ignore me if I leave and even if they do I'm an expert map reader and have plenty of non TRF riding friends anyway :lol:
Last edited by petecam on Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Maybe out of the confines of the TRF (even though this forum is being read in parallel) maybe you could answer the big question of why the acknowledged important registration and renewal system could not have been linked to a modern version of the old forum.
It's that diversity, in particular, that seems to be missed and it doesn't seem that the new scrolling system can replace it.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
linssen

Post by linssen »

DavidS wrote:maybe you could answer the big question of why the acknowledged important registration and renewal system could not have been linked to a modern version of the old forum.
Long story short, David: the old forum software just wasn’t compatible with a modern system that would also link to memberships. We did look at it, but the cost to build it was high, and the cost to maintain it was higher. Much higher than what is in place now.

I still think there’s plenty of scope to get this just right. And there’s tons more we can add to make this thing great for the TRF.
recon plane

Post by recon plane »

One of the main issues for me is online security . I think the site is a really poor show , cant post group rides. so really now its ride solo for me. open to public with real name showing??? thats just a no brainer to me. Jv needs a good slap the way he thinks he can talk to members
Ktm exc 500. BMW 1200gsaLC XR400, 916 foggy rep 2 CATS
chipy

Post by chipy »

linssen wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:37 pm At the risk of painting a target on my head, I'm actually one of the volunteers who built the new system.
Thank you for putting you head up.
I have 2 main issues with the new site.

First I thought that the aim of the TRF was to safe guard green lanes for members to use. What is the point of all the good work that is done to save the lanes if you then don't give the membership the means to organise rides to use them.
Second is the on line security , a few years ago I was the victim of shall we say "cyber crime" since then I am very careful what information about myself is on line. No face book or anything like that. To see that my full name was being posted in a public forum. Without being asked if this was ok or even being told that it was going to happen was wrong. I am no it expert but how much trouble is it to automatically send a message to a member the first time they make a post that this is the case. You could then choose not to make the post. I am presuming you have not used you real name on here.
To make matters worse when this was raised on the new site one of your directions stared posting member s full names in his messages even though he knew it was causing great concern to some. I did report this to the information commissions office this morning.
1980 rs100, 1986 DT50 mx, 1990 fj1200, 1998 zzr600, 2003 R1150r, 2007 G650Xcountry, 2012 Honda wave 110, 2014 Beta alp 4.0, 2014 Beta alp 200, 2020 xt1200z
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

linssen wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:41 pm
DavidS wrote:maybe you could answer the big question of why the acknowledged important registration and renewal system could not have been linked to a modern version of the old forum.
Long story short, David: the old forum software just wasn’t compatible with a modern system that would also link to memberships. We did look at it, but the cost to build it was high, and the cost to maintain it was higher. Much higher than what is in place now.

I still think there’s plenty of scope to get this just right. And there’s tons more we can add to make this thing great for the TRF.
Thanks for the prompt reply.
I follow your thinking but, in this situation, I feel some of our subs should have been used on keeping the members together and, as yet, I fail to see how the new system can achieve that.

Without the members, there is no TRF and what appears to be a widespread alienation is worrying.

Maybe you could also help with why real names had to be used.
Mr Carling posted a sarcastic response when I asked if he hypocritically used a username on here, not his real name.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
linssen

Post by linssen »

Thanks for the feedback guys, I've just had a long chat with the directors, and all the others that helped build the new system. We'll collate it all soon, and figure a solid plan of action, but hopefully the new work we're planning will solve a lot of your concerns.
chipy wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:04 pm What is the point of all the good work that is done to save the lanes if you then don't give the membership the means to organise rides to use them.
I think you're absolutely right. I think we need to do much better to empower the local groups. This'll be a core part of the next phase of work: allowing members to chat with other members (and only other members) about local matters, and plan rides.
chipy wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:04 pm Second is the on line security , a few years ago I was the victim of shall we say "cyber crime" since then I am very careful what information about myself is on line.
Totally understand this concern, chipy: I work in cyber security myself. At the moment the only way you can see a members name is when they publish comments. We'll be thinking long and hard about how this works, where that information is visible, and informing our members about exactly what they're publishing about themselves when they comment.
DavidS wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:17 pm Maybe you could also help with why real names had to be used.
An excellent questions, David. The main reason was to build a community, and I think on reflection a national chat is the wrong place for that. People are, rightly, very passionate about the TRF and they want their opinions heard and accounted for. The plan for the new work will be geared much more towards getting out riding, and letting the members feedback on the reports and content from those that run the TRF.

Keep an eye out for changes and announcements, we'll be trying to do as much over Christmas as we can. Like the other directors, I'm just a volunteer doing as much as I can in my spare time. Keep the lines open, and like I say: I'm listening if you want to DM me.
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

That is not a forum it is a Facebook-esque stream.
In depth discussion is impossible with such a format.

Return to “THE PUB”