PC down up

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
garyboy

PC down up

Post by garyboy »

not political correctness, or police constable,
but personal computer.

I did not realise just HOW much I am now relying on my pc ..
internet, banking, accounts, internet buying, bike sites and contacts, pictures, storage, maps, trails, bike info, abr, ride reports, travel ideas, etc etc .. and general well being.

so ... are computers now just a convenience or a vital necessity ?
Last edited by garyboy on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomBoyNI

Re: PC down up

Post by TomBoyNI »

For me it’s a necessity.

All my contacts, calendars, banking, bookies etc all there.

Internet forums, social media, TV, YouTube all computer based.

But then again even the Facebook founders are saying social media has ruined the fabric of society so who knows - maybe the computers are the root of all evil :evil:
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

thanks for that Tom :)

ok .. so ..
general questions ..
. how has the internet changed your way of life?
. how will the changing of net neutrality affect your life?
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Halfway through paying for some xmas pressies last week, my pc just lost all internet connection and we can't get it back.
Laptop, pads and phones are all fine :evil:
Having to transfer loads over to laptop but it is giving me a chance to tidy up my files.

Life would be a pain in the proverbial without computers but I could do without faceache but the TRF insist it's the answer to everything :evil: :evil:

Forums are fun and helpful, faceache is just tat and useless to use.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
deksawyer

Post by deksawyer »

I've just bought a wee Acer R13 Chromebook. Brilliant little thing.....fast, secure and this one flips into a big tablet with touchscreen. Up to 12h battery as well...if you're an Android phone user, it makes a lot of sense to use one of these.

Put my old Macbook Pro away in a bag and trying to live with this full time. Going well so far.

D.
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

garyboy wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:05 am how will the changing of net neutrality affect your life?
Won't affect anybody outside the USA

The change will allow US ISPs to throttle back the data transfer rate of sites whilst promoted sites continue at normal speed. The idea being you'll get fed up of waiting for the impeded sites and stick with the fast loading websites hence they will get more traffic and therefore sales. Just greedy US companies obsessed with treating customers like herds of cash generating sheep.

I find UK and EU consumers more aware and ready to mobilise and oppose than those in the US who just buy into the "US is great and it's companies can do no wrong" belief. So we don't and never will have it as we will all just switch to somebody else as we have far greater choice over here.

God bless the UK and Europe

ta-daaa
:D
Toe

Post by Toe »

Africa John wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:29 pm
garyboy wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:05 am how will the changing of net neutrality affect your life?
Won't affect anybody outside the USA

The change will allow US ISPs to throttle back the data transfer rate of sites whilst promoted sites continue at normal speed. The idea being you'll get fed up of waiting for the impeded sites and stick with the fast loading websites hence they will get more traffic and therefore sales. Just greedy US companies obsessed with treating customers like herds of cash generating sheep.

I find UK and EU consumers more aware and ready to mobilise and oppose than those in the US who just buy into the "US is great and it's companies can do no wrong" belief. So we don't and never will have it as we will all just switch to somebody else as we have far greater choice over here.

God bless the UK and Europe

ta-daaa
:D
We're fortunate in the EU and the UK that we do have net neutrality 1 2. Even in the Brexit ( :roll: ) discussions it's been suggested that the UK will follow the rules set out by the EU but who really knows until it happens with that at this point. I agree Africa John that I don't think the people of the UK or EU would let it happen and like to believe that we wouldn't have the wool pulled over our eyes so easily.

There's also been a couple of images going round about Portugal (which is in the EU so has these laws applied, duh), New Zealand and somewhere in SE Asia (Thailand or Cambodia off the top of my head) saying 'this is what it'll be like without net neutrality' but these are actually images of mobile data 'add-ons' that mean using certain apps won't take usage out of your normal data plan.
This has only really come up in the US because that ballbag Ajit Pai has been paid off (or taken donations or whatever terminology has been used) by the big companies that will profit from it and the laws in the US allow it.

In regards to the original post, I am a self confessed tech lover so yes computers and mobile phones are an important part of my life. I could, can and have lived without but honestly I enjoy the use and it certainly can help make my life easier or more enjoyable in certain respects.
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Net neutrality at least gives the impression of fairness and benifit to the consumer
Last edited by garyboy on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Last edited by garyboy on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toe

Post by Toe »

There has been an initial vote to abolish it but it won't go through until some time next year and there are fortunately parties, companies and states still fighting for it so hopefully it will be over turned.
Fortunately the rest of the world does seem to see the benefits, India recently announced it's support for NN. Imagine trying to get onto this forum but every post shows "Your plan does not allow for access to forum posts. Please upgrade to or add the Social Media+ plan"!

Unfortunately I have zero experience of growing up outside of an EU UK (I was very young when it was formed) but I don't doubt there were certain benefits to the way things were. My only real experience of this I guess would being in places for a number of weeks where things aren't as technologically advanced.
Don't forget there is always private browsing ;) And depending on the level of privacy someone is after they can use VPNs or VPN browsers.
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM

Return to “THE PUB”