Monmouthshire - Operation Woodland

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Cone

Monmouthshire - Operation Woodland

Post by Cone »

As i'm not a member of the TRF and can't seem to locate any more information on the Web other than the local newspaper

http://www.monmouthshirebeacon.co.uk/ar ... hyear=2017

Anyone have any more information that is available. Walking my dog I've seen no motorbike signs up and CCTV surveillance signs erected in Trellech wood.

Ta
Andi_Archer

Re: Monmouthshire - Operation Woodland

Post by Andi_Archer »

They certainly cause a lot of grief for other law abiding riders and in the end closures because of their behavior.
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

It's amazing how they can find the resources to mount an operation like this but do f*ck all to target bike thieves :roll:
one-legged adventurer
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

As far as I understand the situation, the police are introducing offending riders to TRF members who accompany them on these patrols. The TRF members then explain about legal, responsible trail riding.

The obvious flaw is that many of the problem riders in the FoD and its surroundings are underaged, unlicensed and/or riding illegal bikes, but at least some kind of effort is being made.

It's not the first time the TRF has done this type of thing...Operation Blackbrook in the Peak District, which was organised by the local police and PDVUG (a group which represents a number of 4x4 and 2x1 clubs including local TRF Groups) has run for many years and led to a huge reduction in complaints about illegal riding. Sadly the copper who was driving it along retired, but he had real style. For instance, he stopped a 4x4 which was ploughing an illegal path across the moorland and told the occupants that they had a choice of a ticket or joining him on a lane maintenance party the next weekend.

Needless to say, they turned up the next weekend to shovel gravel and take rubbish away.
Cone

Post by Cone »

What the councils need to do is publish there list of streets of unmettled roads and produce a map for trail riders to use.

I probably don’t know one byway in my area that I can use. I have searched the maps and find the odd one by they re so sparse and few and far betweeen that no wonder people don’t use them.
Richard Simpson Mark II

TBH, the situation in many council areas is so complex and the RoW and highways depts so under-funded, that this isn't going to happen.

On the other hand, some councils, such as Wiltshire, do publish an excellent on-line RoW map which is kept up-to-date. They are good with the signs too.
Dansin

Post by Dansin »

Cone wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:05 am What the councils need to do is publish there list of streets of unmettled roads and produce a map for trail riders to use.

I probably don’t know one byway in my area that I can use. I have searched the maps and find the odd one by they re so sparse and few and far betweeen that no wonder people don’t use them.
I’ve got a mate in Monmouth who trail rides a fair bit in the area. A few resources for you in case you weren’t already aware -

Monmouthshire definitive map - https://access.monmouthshire.gov.uk/sta ... Page=Page1

Gloucestershire definitive map - https://gis.gloucestershire.gov.uk/Loca ... /PROW_EXT/

Cross check them here - Traliwise maps - http://www.trailwise.org.uk/gmaps/gmap.htm
Cone

Post by Cone »

So ac cording to that map it shows everything as restricted byways in Monmouthshire.

I can only find one in Red which I have always known to be a boat however it is not shown as a boat on the map.. So i'm assuming this has been shut down too.

No wonder there is so much illegal trail riding in Trellech!
Richard Simpson Mark II

Seriously, join the TRF. You can ignore all the fragile egos and bollox if you want: it's what I do now.

People in the Hereford, Gloucester and South Wales TRF Groups will be happy to show you where you can ride in the area: mostly on Unclassified County Roads. These are NOT on the Definitive Map because they are roads, not rights-of-way. They are on the List of Streets, but making sense of that on your own is not easy.

TRF members also get full access to Trailwise, which is a live database of suitable routes.
Cone

Post by Cone »

Yeah I know, but i haven't got a 250 or a 450 i've got a bulking 800.

I've avoided them for that reason. No one would want me to come out as my bike is too bike and skills too bad :lol:

So paying another subscription and then trying to keep track of another forum is just a bit difficult for me.

The local rants that have been had dont go along way to inspiring confidence in an organisation that requires payment to join.

Return to “THE PUB”