On Any Sunday!

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
garyboy

Re: On Any Sunday!

Post by garyboy »

captinktm wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:16 am
Off course it's dated by now, what I was asking was if another film (not a series) was made today would it have the same impact?
o :o right
well of course the first and obvious answer is ... no !!
. because motorcycling was more a minority sport then?
. because a first (film) impact can never be beaten/superseded?
. because those first stars and SteveM could not be surpassed?
. because it was a growing embryo sport or pastime that has since matured and diversified into the atmosphere?
. because .. ..

er .. but then again ..
as Spike says .. with the right ingredients and directorship and production ..
mm .. possibly !!

then ... actually ? ..
come to think about it a bit more .. YES !!
.. perhaps not the iconic impact that people seem to think the original OAS had ..
.. but yes .. in a different way.
as biking has matured and developed the original routes with upgrades and electronics and `improvements` . etc

look at all we have to offer ..
motorcycling track racing, tarmac and dirt ..
mx, endure, trials, trails, exhibitions, events, group touring, solo local, cubs and organisations, charity work,
.. ..
(scene .. mates getting ready on their [expensive] road bikes, meet up at the local McD , (then Tesco .. juss kiddin ) .. no, then the race setting, noise revs, crowd excitement, popcorn, etc etc
(scene .. as above but the TT .. yay [never been] ferry ride, digs/tent, booze, mates around the circuit ... yay ... would be great !!
(scene .. as above but dirt flat track, or mx track, [but without those horrendous high leaps .. keep that for exhibitions?
(scene .. exhibitions, think dougie lampkin, dave knight .. trials/leaps/circuits etc etc

then..
(scene .. road riders camaraderie .. wave/nod/ ...
(scene .. different cliques.. and exposee .. hogs, boy racers, bmw motorcyclists, hell's wotsits etc
(scene .. events like xmas run, ester egg run, charity work

(scene .. trail riders out in t he bleak wilderness helping a stricken rider, pulling a nd grinning.. and taking pics ;)
(scene ... house of lords trying to finalise our trail demises :twisted:

yes .. it would definitely have an impact, and help promote motorcycling .. but would have to be very well done, and would it have the same impact ? ... good question!

ps .. then the film could also compare 2T with 4T .. how the bikes have developed over time (bigger, faster, heavier, more electronics etc) .. how the Japanese impacted British bike scene etc .. how the demographic is changing to older users, ... future developments possible .. elec bikes, batteries devt, other modes of fun transport .. drones, hele-bikes?, air bikes? amphibious? etc etec ..
the scope is huge, actually :D

[ the secret would be to not linger long on any one aspect ]
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Thanks, I've not seen it but say a reference to it in the Henry Cole programme about Steve McQueen.
I'll search it out on YouTube.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

garyboy wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:11 pm
captinktm wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:16 am
Off course it's dated by now, what I was asking was if another film (not a series) was made today would it have the same impact?
o :o right
well of course the first and obvious answer is ... no !!
. because motorcycling was more a minority sport then?
. because a first (film) impact can never be beaten/superseded?
. because those first stars and SteveM could not be surpassed?
. because it was a growing embryo sport or pastime that has since matured and diversified into the atmosphere?
. because .. ..

er .. but then again ..
as Spike says .. with the right ingredients and directorship and production ..
mm .. possibly !!

then ... actually ? ..
come to think about it a bit more .. YES !!
.. perhaps not the iconic impact that people seem to think the original OAS had ..
.. but yes .. in a different way.
as biking has matured and developed the original routes with upgrades and electronics and `improvements` . etc

look at all we have to offer ..
motorcycling track racing, tarmac and dirt ..
mx, endure, trials, trails, exhibitions, events, group touring, solo local, cubs and organisations, charity work,
.. ..
(scene .. mates getting ready on their [expensive] road bikes, meet up at the local McD , (then Tesco .. juss kiddin ) .. no, then the race setting, noise revs, crowd excitement, popcorn, etc etc
(scene .. as above but the TT .. yay [never been] ferry ride, digs/tent, booze, mates around the circuit ... yay ... would be great !!
(scene .. as above but dirt flat track, or mx track, [but without those horrendous high leaps .. keep that for exhibitions?
(scene .. exhibitions, think dougie lampkin, dave knight .. trials/leaps/circuits etc etc

then..
(scene .. road riders camaraderie .. wave/nod/ ...
(scene .. different cliques.. and exposee .. hogs, boy racers, bmw motorcyclists, hell's wotsits etc
(scene .. events like xmas run, ester egg run, charity work

(scene .. trail riders out in t he bleak wilderness helping a stricken rider, pulling a nd grinning.. and taking pics ;)
(scene ... house of lords trying to finalise our trail demises :twisted:

yes .. it would definitely have an impact, and help promote motorcycling .. but would have to be very well done, and would it have the same impact ? ... good question!

ps .. then the film could also compare 2T with 4T .. how the bikes have developed over time (bigger, faster, heavier, more electronics etc) .. how the Japanese impacted British bike scene etc .. how the demographic is changing to older users, ... future developments possible .. elec bikes, batteries devt, other modes of fun transport .. drones, hele-bikes?, air bikes? amphibious? etc etec ..
the scope is huge, actually :D

[ the secret would be to not linger long on any one aspect ]
I think your nearly as mad as I am! :lol: Your film would certainly be a long one. I guess Closer to the Edge is as close as we will ever get for now. I would say that OAS is a bigger hit in the US and the UK. I had loads of Cloggies on tour and they had never seen it either. Not sure if there are sub titled versions.
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

Guys are saying that the maker of such a film would need a "Steve Mc Queen " of the 21 century? David Knight? he covers a lot of motorcycling with trial, MX, Enduro. Extreme, circuit racing, and of course stunt bike riding. I feel a plan coming on, anybody got 20 million?
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

https://www.adventurebikerider.com/russ ... interview/

I just read the ABR interview with Russ Malkin .. he reckons a cannon camera? at £1500 would be good,
("There’s a lovely little camera, the Cannon XF 100, it’s a high definition camera, it’s not very big, shoots at night, got good audio and it’s ‘only’ £1,500, I say only £1,500, but it’s TV quality and at that level you can buy a second hand one, that and one GoPro and you’re good to go!" Russ Malkin)
plus using bikes to film and get around, (minimalist-like) would be cheap and effective,

and yes, a quick reference could be made to the variety of biking pleasures, but there would probably have to be a focus of some sort? or yes, it would be too long.
Last edited by garyboy on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

probably a focus on the TT, [with quick references to track racing,]?
then something `off road` focus .. say the TET or HU or trail riding in the UK, [with quick references to mx, trials etc]?
(just a personal preference) 8-)

EDIT ... er .. actually, I think I was thinking more of amateur efforts ... mostly trail riding? and amateur tarmac road ride-outs?
(coz dat's wot I does, innit)

ps .. I think I was thinking .. therefor I AM thinking ... I think :lol:
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

I'll dare to stick my neck above the parapet once more and suggest you watch the Motonomad films as a modern motorbike film/documentary. Whilst they don't cover the broad spectrum of biking, they do cover lightweight adventure biking exceptionally well. When he can't find a part whilst preparing his bike, he makes what he wants in order to prep the bike be just how he wants it. Maintenance has to be done en-route, including an oil change whilst in a queue to cross a border, without a service crew in tow (like LWR and LWD). Whether you like KTM or not, they are fantastic adventure bike films in the same way Closer To The Edge is a great race bike film.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Will try to find them online :)
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

Yes I have watched some of these Motonomad films but they are nothing like OAS and would not appeal to a wide enough audience. Obviously ABR would have to be included but so would every other type of motorcycling.
I found it interesting that in the interview with Russ he admitted they always planed to do a film and sell it. Watching LWR the 2 riders complain on numerous occasions about the publicity they got but it was obviously asked and plan for.
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Return to “THE PUB”