On Any Sunday!

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Spike941

Re: On Any Sunday!

Post by Spike941 »

Regardless of what you think about them, weren't the 'Long way Round' and 'The Long way Down' pretty big hits, in a similar style? As for an actual film, it's got to be 'The World's Fastest Indian' for me.
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

I prefer Mondo Enduro, and the Motonomad films are great also, showing that you can do long distances on a KTM EXC.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

Come of chap's stick to the post. Yes the long way down was a good film/series but it was n't anything like OAS.
felco

Post by felco »

Have to agree with captain on this one, on any Sunday is the best, nothing comes close, its what biking is about,
makes you want to get out & ride, its what biking is to me, fantastic to this day.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I've not seen most of these biker films :roll: for some reason? :geek:
but I enjoyed Charlie's (+1 other :D ) stuff .. really interesting, and by now iconic, and very sales friendly (driver), ntm the (an) impetus behind a whole new genre? .. .. RTW travel, Adventure biking ? .. (tho of course the big adv bikes existed before this.)

OAS .. yes a bit dated now, but it was a budget film (24v for slow shots 8-) ) and I learned a lot from it .. what desert racing is (they all start together .. then madness and mayhem 8-) ) .. what that 6 day trials thing is (a bit like the TT but on hard 200 mile/day trails over 6 consecutive days, plus trials torture at the end of each day, with no cash prize, :? 8-) )

.. but also that I aint fussed on track racing, of any type :ugeek: (just a personal thing)

OAS started as a sort of documentary showing the different types of US biking .. a bit boring for me .. but got better towards the latter parts .. due mostly to Steve McQueen .. (o .. and those 2 incredible American riders) ..
I never really rated Steve, but this shows how magnetic his personality really was, as the more he appeared in the film, the more interesting it became ;)
Ksithumper

Post by Ksithumper »

Best film ever, period.
I was privileged to meet, and chat with, Dave Aldana and Gene Romero last year.
Wonderful people both, full of memories and absolutely as alive as they come.
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

Thanks for reminding me of OAS. It was great watching it again.
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

Dana Brown and this Old Git getting pissed in a whiskey bar in California.
We were mulling over his upcoming film. Nice guy.
P1000724.JPG
P1000724.JPG (113.13 KiB) Viewed 2560 times
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

garyboy wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:44 pm I've not seen most of these biker films :roll: for some reason? :geek:
but I enjoyed Charlie's (+1 other :D ) stuff .. really interesting, and by now iconic, and very sales friendly (driver), ntm the (an) impetus behind a whole new genre? .. .. RTW travel, Adventure biking ? .. (tho of course the big adv bikes existed before this.)

OAS .. yes a bit dated now, but it was a budget film (24v for slow shots 8-) ) and I learned a lot from it .. what desert racing is (they all start together .. then madness and mayhem 8-) ) .. what that 6 day trials thing is (a bit like the TT but on hard 200 mile/day trails over 6 consecutive days, plus trials torture at the end of each day, with no cash prize, :? 8-) )

.. but also that I aint fussed on track racing, of any type :ugeek: (just a personal thing)

OAS started as a sort of documentary showing the different types of US biking .. a bit boring for me .. but got better towards the latter parts .. due mostly to Steve McQueen .. (o .. and those 2 incredible American riders) ..
I never really rated Steve, but this shows how magnetic his personality really was, as the more he appeared in the film, the more interesting it became ;)
Off course it's dated by now, what I was asking was if another film (not a series) was made today would it have the same impact? As for Charley and his mate, I to enjoyed the series, in fact I watched the entire thing start to finish while on the ferry from Plymouth to Bilbao on the way to Morocco. But I still think CB is a dick and spoiled the film. The long way films/programs are very little to do with real world adventure traveling and more about a bottomless budget and support teams.
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Just need a big name, great sound track, a good spread of humour, a rough storyline, plenty of action, thrills and spills, ground and arial photography. Not too much to ask for. A box office hit? Nah, probably not, unless it was filmed on Mars, with aliens and battling starships. Or set in New Zealand, with little people living in earth domed huts, or a Wizard school, or is that just being silly? (PS. No need to answer that one)

Return to “THE PUB”