Multistrada 950 - anyone got one?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Scott_rider

Multistrada 950 - anyone got one?

Post by Scott_rider »

Multistrada 950 - anyone got one? if so, any issues or problems or comments? Thanks
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
SteveW

Re: Multistrada 950 - anyone got one?

Post by SteveW »

Yes I've got one.
I swopped my GSA800 for one about four months ago.
In my opinion the GSA800 is a better bike, but I enjoy riding the Ducati more.
.......I'll explain! The 950 Multistrada has better performance, it's smoother and is generally more refined than the BMW.
The Ducati is at least as comfortable as the BMW, although I miss the long fuel range of the BMW.
If I only could have one bike I choose the GS/A800, you can do everything on them, I've riddened them through desert, up goat tracks, on Freeways, autobahns and motorways. They have a reassuring toughness about them.
I've had a GSA800 and a GS800.....in 26,000 miles I've had 1 fuel pump failed and half a dozen punctures......I'm a big fan.
But you didn't ask about a GS800!
I really like the Ducati, but it's strictly a road bike. I've got other bikes for more rugged roads.
I love riding the Ducati......it's not superbike fast and it's not over complicated, but it's plenty fast enough, with similar performance to a GS1200.
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

Here's my full thoughts on the Ducati 950

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=44297

I'd go along with what Steve said too. I'm not sure about offroad, it obviously won't be as good as the 800GS (I've had one of them too) but I've been down rutted farm tracks stood on the pegs and it's been fine.

It thrives on high revs and higher speeds. Lower speeds and you're slipping the clutch; it's the only bike I've ever had where I'm changing into first at 15mph. Also if the engine is anything less that hot the clutch doesn't slip much and 1st-N-2nd is a nightmare which makes commuting, especially just now in cold weather, a real ball-ache. These things make me think it's going to be hard to ride offroad but I'm determined to have a go sometime.

On road touring, which is what I want it for really, I love it.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Many thanks guys, very good write ups 8-) . I was set on getting a V Strom 1000 but I'm now considering the 950 Multistrada instead.
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

I did a test ride of the VStrom against the Ducati. I was very impressed with the VStrom engine, more so than the Ducati which surprised me, but the riding position just wasn't quite rite for me. Nevertheless, I'd priced up bar and peg adjusters and all the other bits and bobs I wanted and was on my way to buy one when Ducati put together a very good deal. As the Ducati was rite "straight out of the box" I had to go that way and I'm glad I did. But I wouldn't discount the VStrom ;)
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I liked the V Strom 1000 engine when I rode it. And I liked it more than I expected to. Great stomp across the rev range and lazy in nature but in a good way if that makes sense? Interesting to hear that the Multistrada engine might be a bit more inclined to rev to get the best out of it? I do, however, really like the fit and finish of the Ducati.
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

Yes, exactly what I found. It had a nice "lazy" feel, I think because it would just pull out of bends etc without having to change gear whereas the Ducati you have to keep the revs up to get the best out of it. Changing from the 800GS it felt like I was really revving it hard all the time but that's how it likes it, and now I'm used to it it's not a bother. Averaged 60+mpg touring which a lot of bikes can only dream of (ahemtriumphahem :lol: )

The quality of the Ducati is another thing that impressed me compared to the VStrom, from the stitching on the seat to the instrument cluster it's all good stuff. Then again it is a lot more expensive so it should be!
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I'm back onto the Vstrom as first choice... :roll: .

There are some stonking deals on new (pre-registered ones)...£8,500 for the XT version or £7,800 for the standard version...as opposed to £10,995 for the Multistrada.

I do think the XT version looks good with the spoked wheels and I like the tapered bars on it as well 8-) .
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I like this video 8-)

Return to “THE PUB”