ABR a thing of the past since the big change

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
catcitrus

Re: ABR a thing of the past since the big change

Post by catcitrus »

I must admit that I preferred the old format--this latest feint approach is not helpful at all--yes I can use it, but don't find it particularly user friendly--I tend to use facebook now as most of my old mates are now on it--and also good old ADV for bike model specific threads--and of course buckets of useful info--their format is very tried and tested and is much easier to navigate and read--and its a world wide site. You have to admit that now scanning through the various topics its hard to pick up when a topic has a new post--and finding old threads that you wish to add to is a PITA (IMHO). I would like to continue to contribute--but it has certainly put me off quite a bit.
Alun

Post by Alun »

Tonibe63 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:29 pm
Don't underestimate the impact of Photobucket stopping all the historical links to photos contained within ride reports which has really hacked me off but now we can load photos direct to the forum I think it will be a massive improvement.

You can download a browser extension which displays all Photobucket images in old threads If you're using chrome here's a link.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/photobucket
chipy

Post by chipy »

Am I missing something?
I thought if you click on the quick links tab on at the top right of the page then the active topics heading this brings up a page with all the latest posts. Have I got this wrong ?
1980 rs100, 1986 DT50 mx, 1990 fj1200, 1998 zzr600, 2003 R1150r, 2007 G650Xcountry, 2012 Honda wave 110, 2014 Beta alp 4.0, 2014 Beta alp 200, 2020 xt1200z
Alun

Post by Alun »

catcitrus wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:46 pm and finding old threads that you wish to add to is a PITA (IMHO). I would like to continue to contribute--but it has certainly put me off quite a bit.

Just out of interest, what specific search problems are you having? I'm finding the 'Advanced Search' feature (top left on this page) much better than the one on the old forum
Alun

Post by Alun »

chipy wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:20 pm Am I missing something?
I thought if you click on the quick links tab on at the top right of the page then the active topics heading this brings up a page with all the latest posts. Have I got this wrong ?

No, you are right. There's also a quicker way, click 'View Active Topics' in the black bar under the Adventure Bike Rider Logo at the top of this or any page.
Nick_2112

Post by Nick_2112 »

Agree a bit daunting at first, but ok now, as has been said, people don't like change, me included.

But the active topics button gets you right into the interesting stuff, stick with it I say.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

I'm fairly new to the site and arrived just before the changeover.
I joined more for info on my bike (690 enduro) and general interest. My big adventure days have been lost in the need for a comfy bed and shorter riding days but it's great reading about other peoples experiences.
My last 'trip' was India in 2013 and that was a package Enfield ride trip.

But, at an ageing 63 with ever stronger glasses, now including riding/driving, I do find the small, fine typeface a bit of a pain.
If there was an option to adjust that, I would be an easily pleased happy bunny.

Photobucket have caused huge ructions in the forum world and I can't think many people took up their generous offer to top up their pension pot. Still have to find a suitable alternative, despite trying a few. They may well be the reason some old tech fora are struggling....unless it's the TRF ;)
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

Well I think it's a great site and I for one have met some great mates on here , :D
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

People who know me, know I'm not a techy, and it takes me a long time to learn anything new ( don't like to much to change ) but I don't think there's any thing wrong with the new site now I learnt what to do, and how to get about on it, so much so that can't really remember to much about the old one........maybe it's not as busy as before, it's the quality..... not the quantity :D
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Personally I do not find it as easy to use as it used to be and perhaps go on it less for that reason. However I know that a lot of people use it on their phones and it may be easier now than it use to be. I can't get the hang of all those little buttons so tend to use a laptop or an iPad.
It is interesting to note that since the changes there have been fewer 'political' posts. Whilst some people seem to welcome this I think if you look at the amount of people who contributed to these and the number of posts they were some of the most popular topics. Maybe some of the people who contributed regularly to these have moved onto forums that encourage a diverse range of topics. Some of the politics, such as the consequences of Brexit and environmental issues are of particular relevance to a lot of users of this forum. So long as people do not become personally abusive I think a diverse range of topics is to be encouraged. If you do not want to read a topic you do not have to.
Cheers Jak

Return to “THE PUB”