Any car mechanics

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
clutchspring

Any car mechanics

Post by clutchspring »

Hi , I'm looking for a bit of advise for my wife's car .
It's a 1ltr 2000 k11 nissan Micra , the problem started with the car loosing power on the way back from the vets , car still ran but was very sluggish went out next day and car only made it to the end of our street managed to limp back home .
Car will start OK but any thing above tick over it just cuts out .
Googled the symptoms and seems like it could be a dirty or duff mas air flow sensor !.
I removed the MAF to day cleaned it and car still running the same.
When I disconnected the MAF the car seems to run OK but Iv been advised not to run it to long with the MAF disconnected.
Any help appreciated,
Thanks.
Ian.
Tonibe63

Re: Any car mechanics

Post by Tonibe63 »

It could be lot's of things so I would buy a code reader and see what that points you to.
You could easily spend £100 replacing various sensors before finding a faulty coil pack or blocked fuel filter or fuel pump etc etc.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
paul_tim2000

Post by paul_tim2000 »

If it runs with the MAF disconnected then that's probably the problem, I had some limited success cleaning the MAF on my old Alfa but it didn't last long (couple of thousand miles). Spray cleaners help but never really shift the contamination on the sensor element.
I'd agree you could (should) get a reader and look at the error codes, a simple bluetooth one is about a tenner on Ebay, couple it with an app like Torque and you can read the codes then google the possible causes.
You won't do a lot of harm running without the MAF but fuel economy will suffer. Car goes into a very conservative mode if no valid MAF signal which tends to overfuel.
Good luck
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

Check before you buy a scanner as a 2000 car may well be pre-OBD so it will not work.
Craig-SM

Post by Craig-SM »

Sounds more like a fuel issue. I’d start with replacing the fuel filter.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Unplug the MAF, if it runs better then that is your problem. The reason it runs better is that without input
from the MAF the ECU runs a default engine map. No problem running it like this, but it isn't ideal.
clutchspring

Post by clutchspring »

Thanks for all your help , one other thing I was wondering is will the Micra still Pass the MOT omissions with the MAF sensor disconnected ,

Thanks,

Ian.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

jkay

Post by jkay »

Our family pool car is a Nissan micra and my task once a month is too drive
And abuse it for about 10 miles
High revs for
a while cures the sluggish power problem
clutchspring

Post by clutchspring »

Well finally fixed the problem with the Micra . In the end it was what I originally thought it was from my Google search which was a duff mass air flow SENSOR
After finally getting the MAF SENSOR of the throttle body which is held on with a very odd size security screws which needed slots cutting in it with a Dremel so I could get the screws out .
Had a go at first with cleaning the sensor but that didn't sort the problem so bought a new MAF sensor of eBay for £12 as I though it was worth ago , any how fitted the new sensor & Micra's running fine now 😘

Thank everyone who replied to my original post.

Ian.

Return to “THE PUB”