The future?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Jak*

The future?

Post by Jak* »

Found on Bike Exif.
http://www.bikeexif.com/custom-electric ... motorcycle
More interesting than there usual hipster fodder. The performance figures would meet my criteria and a 60 mile range would be okay for commuting but I would really want at least double that distance with a short charge time for a tourer. There was mention of the Zero trail bike in the latest TRF mag but not a proper review, which was a shame as their products look interesting and seem to be coming more in line with main stream bike prices.
For cars hybrids seem the way forward at the moment but I suspect the weight and complexity of having two motors would make them unsuitable for motorcycle use. Therefore I guess we are all likely to be on electric bikes in a few years.
Cheers Jak
paul_tim2000

Re: The future?

Post by paul_tim2000 »

60 miles would get me a days commute assuming I didn't take the decision to do anything other than go to work and back, simple visit to parents at weekends is a 150 mile round trip and can't guarantee to be able to charge once there, 3-400 mile weekends are ridiculously common. Until electric can meet my lifestyle requirements (range, easily accessible infrastructure, battery life) then I don't foresee replacing my internal combustion engine. Don't get me wrong I've run hybrid cars in the past and really rated the prius for what it was asked to do but the technology is not there yet
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

paul_tim2000 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:14 pm 60 miles would get me a days commute assuming I didn't take the decision to do anything other than go to work and back, simple visit to parents at weekends is a 150 mile round trip and can't guarantee to be able to charge once there, 3-400 mile weekends are ridiculously common. Until electric can meet my lifestyle requirements (range, easily accessible infrastructure, battery life) then I don't foresee replacing my internal combustion engine. Don't get me wrong I've run hybrid cars in the past and really rated the prius for what it was asked to do but the technology is not there yet
I'm with you, the technology and its affordability just isn't anywhere near consumer ready yet.

Until the range of vehicles is 100s of miles then they are just pretty useless
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

KTM already build the Freeride E which is a pure electric motorcycle. It is ok for a bit of local trail riding but not practical for carrying luggage or riding any distances. The industry will get there eventually but they are nowhere near at the moment.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Is the will really there within the motor industry.
If they weren't being pushed (despite oil running out any time in the next 5 to 200 years) I doubt any of this would be happening.

No plans for infrastucture, misleading 'green' claims, rubbish range, battery recycling/disposal.
I suspect I won't be riding or even driving by the time it becomes the norm.

That said, a 200 mile range trail or road bike would suit me just fine but that won't be any where good enough for real world travel.
Where are all the non western countries going to get their electricity from?
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

Electric at present only really makes sense for city commuting. It is getting to the stage where you can plug it in to a standard wall socket, so don't be surprised if some point in the future there is a genuine excuse to ride that 'AC' GS1200 down to the nearest Starbucks :D
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything

Return to “THE PUB”