Zen & the art of motorcycle maintenance

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Tonibe63

Zen & the art of motorcycle maintenance

Post by Tonibe63 »

Tried 3 times to get into this book only to give up part way through. The constant flitting back and forth plus the OCD like overanalizing of everything just stops the flow making it a hard read.
Is there a point where it all becomes clear and makes sense or do I just give up?
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Redmurty

Re: Zen & the art of motorcycle maintenance

Post by Redmurty »

yes the last page ;) it took me quite along time to sort it out

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I tried reading it about thirty years ago and gave up because I thought it was pretentious bollocks, there were far too many books and too little time to read them all. To be fair I did the same with Ullysses. Maybe it is time I gave them both another try.
Cheers Jak
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Jak* wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:46 pm I tried reading it about thirty years ago and gave up because I thought it was pretentious bollocks, there were far too many books and too little time to read them all. To be fair I did the same with Ullysses. Maybe it is time I gave them both another try.
Cheers Jak
it's a book that you have to "read" I picked it up after Simon recommended it and thought it was all about "biking" :o there's a lot to recommend the book.
I think the author has died recently ? if not erm sorry mate :oops:

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
GFJ1

Post by GFJ1 »

I thought the 1st third and final third were good. I got lost in the middle for a while as i couldnt follow it. Its on my list to re-read at some point.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

We're currently on holiday in Cornwall so had a bit of time to 'labour' my way through it.
I think it's fair to say that it's not the normal motorcycle travelogue book which I would choose to read and for that reason I was reading it with the wrong approach and preconceptions.
For me, reading the 'readers guidance' notes at the end plus rereading the Introduction made things a lot clearer and really changed my approach on the first few chapters.
Can I be bothered to read it all again? Probably not at the minute, maybe time for something more light hearted.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
gbags

Post by gbags »

Jak* wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:46 pm I tried reading it about thirty years ago and gave up because I thought it was pretentious bollocks, there were far too many books and too little time to read them all. To be fair I did the same with Ullysses. Maybe it is time I gave them both another try.
Cheers Jak
Me too!

I tossed both Zen and Ulysses out back in the day but feel no need to revisit them.

Return to “THE PUB”