latest government plan to ban diesels

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Dark Knight

Re: latest government plan to ban diesels

Post by Dark Knight »

Met a guy riding a 500 cc Honda motorcycle at the Crieff visitor centre cafe not long ago who was 89, it gives you hope.
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Mawsley wrote:
Andi_Archer wrote:We dont have enough spare electrical capacity to even charge a small increase in all electric vehicles.
We didn't have fibre optic or a 4G cell mast network twenty years ago either.
and we still dont in many areas
waynecoluk

Post by waynecoluk »

The thing to do is buy a new ICE bike in 2039 then you can still run it for as long as you like. You are just not aloud to buy new vehicles from then that are diesel/petrol driven.
I would imagine by then hybrid motorcycles will have come out and be quite popular.
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

It will mean a massive amount of investment into charging points with all the infrastructure building and laying of cables. Which will mean digging up of the earths resources and extra shipping of materials causing damage to the earth and pollution to save erm damage to the earth and pollution :whistle:
It's a bit like the "greens" going on TV to get there message across having travelled miles to get there and never thinking of the pollution caused or the mixed message that puts across (thumbs)
Then of course what will happen to all those man made island with holiday homes on in the Middle East :pinch:
Back to riding horse's using narrow boats on the canals to ship goods and of course a mixture of solar panels and sails on Tea clippers to bring us our PG Tips (thumbs)
cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Vertical sails are being used on cargo ships now--they are trying. However, running with high sulphur and ash content "treacle" from the bottom of the crude cracking process makes it very difficult to run aftertreatment systems--but progress is being made.
I also note that KTM have slashed thousands off their electric Freeride--obviously popular!!--they were over 10 k--and you really needed a spare battery in the back of the van to have a good day out--NOT CHEAP.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

obelix1664 wrote:
Emperor Khan is allowing a dock to be altered/built in London to accomodat Cuise liners to come to "center of London" silly bugger may not realise they can pump out pollution at a rate of maybe 100000 times worse than cars
www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/ma ... gners-warn
Call me a cynic, but he just might realise what the effect will be of docking cruise liners in the Port of London, it would certainly skew the figures of the polution monitors placed nearby... :whistle:
If you want a glimpse of the future just look to Barcelona where dozens of cruise liners, including the new world's largest, can dock in one day, disc¡going tens of thousand ¡s of tourists as well as the polution issue - some residents would call the tourists a form of pollution.

Meanwhile a ban of cars and vans over a given age starts in 2019, this covers the entire menrololis, making life seriously difficult for up to 5 million people ...

These days I can't abide the place and only visit, by train, about once every two years to get my PG Tips from a Chinese shop - Cosmo Cash and Carry, Ronda de Sant Antoni, 11, where I can carry enough to last about three years ...

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
gspod

Post by gspod »

Coming down through the Jura mountains a couple of weeks ago, the sat nav dropped us into Grenoble and took us straight through the middle - afterwards we found out that you need a congestion charge vignette. However, at 21 years old, my bike is banned from Grenoble, Paris and Nice. Luckily it's on a police stop basis and it was around lunchtime so,being France, there weren't any around :laugh:
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I recently "bypassed" Grenoble for just that reason---its in a sort of basin surrounded by high hills--so collects "stuff". I believe the Swiss have banned two stroke chainsaws for years etc-both noise and emission pollution. It wouldn't be so bad if there was a decent "electric" public transport system--new cities can be built that way--but not "old towns"
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Mawsley wrote:
Andi_Archer wrote:We dont have enough spare electrical capacity to even charge a small increase in all electric vehicles.
We didn't have fibre optic or a 4G cell mast network twenty years ago either.
True, but these weren't replacing anything.
Consider the amount of energy in the diesel and petrol fuels sold in the UK.
THere would have to be nearly as much equivalent energy generated in electricity
to replace fossil fuel driven cars.
I am quite certain that it won't be possible to build enough powerstations and
update the infrastructure by 2040.

Return to “THE PUB”