One year on was it worth it?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
lebowski

Re: One year on was it worth it?

Post by lebowski »

Dirk wrote:
So who is going to make Britain great again...?
Certainly it won't be those that constantly talk the UK down and don't even live here.
Realists you mean?

Or dreamers?

I constantly read how leaving the EU will make Britain great again, but nobody seems to be able to come up with examples of ways of doing that.

I would love to talk the UK up, but I don't have anything to talk up. I left because I could have a better standard of living, wouldn't you do the same? Or should I have suffered further for the good of my country who now has a government who, clearly, don't give a stuff about me or a lot of the British public.

The UK is a country currently being run for the good of very rich people, not everyone, should I be proud of that then?
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Now we have the (Europe-wide) Driver CPC, so anyone who holds this and an appropriate licence can work as a driver in any European state.
The dCPC is a farce. In order to 'earn' my dCPC card, i had to sit in a classroom for 7 hours a year being taught about 'safe and fuel efficient driving'. Doing this same 7 hour class every year gave me my dCPC card, a card which tells the industry i am fully qualified to do all aspects of road haulage. I have never worked with bulk tankers, car transporters, bulk tippers, but the dCPC gives the impression i've been trained in every aspect. It serves no purpose other than to demene drivers and create training positions within the industry.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Dirk wrote:
Certainly it won't be those that constantly talk the UK down and don't even live here.
Not everyone who lives abroad is a wealthy retiree living a good life. Try to imagine a situation where no matter what you do, life simply gets too expensive and too difficult to live in your own country. Employers make you work weekends for no extra money. Your contractual hours of work increase, you aren't paid overtime rate, its a flat hourly rate of pay from your first hour to your 80th hour at work. They stop paying sick pay. Your PPE is so uncomfortable you have to buy your own. There isn't any solidarity amongst workers, its every man for himself. If you complain, you are shown the door. Thats why I left the UK, its why I hate the UK. I'm still british, but in order to have a nice life (i will never be rich, I just want a nice work/life balance) I found I had to leave friends and family behind and move abroad. Life isn't easy here, and it isn't cheap, but almost everyone here puts life before work. Including paying into the spanish system, we only need to earn, as a couple, €10,500 per year to have a nice life. In the UK, we were barely keeping our heads above water earning £50,000. I would of loved this quality of life in my own country, surrounded by my family and friends, but for me, it simply wasn't possible.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

AlanHolt wrote:
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Now we have the (Europe-wide) Driver CPC, so anyone who holds this and an appropriate licence can work as a driver in any European state.
The dCPC is a farce. In order to 'earn' my dCPC card, i had to sit in a classroom for 7 hours a year being taught about 'safe and fuel efficient driving'. Doing this same 7 hour class every year gave me my dCPC card, a card which tells the industry i am fully qualified to do all aspects of road haulage. I have never worked with bulk tankers, car transporters, bulk tippers, but the dCPC gives the impression i've been trained in every aspect. It serves no purpose other than to demene drivers and create training positions within the industry.
Yes, the decision as to how to implement dCPC and the details as to what the training content should be were left entirely to the British government, which has turned it into a money-making machine for themselves (course approval fee, centre approval fee, upload fee etc).

You can actually do course which cover the specifics you mention, and will count to the dCPC. There's also courses which double as first aid, hazchem, crane, or Epic qualification. Many of the truck manufacturers offer some really interesting courses relating to how to get the best out of their vehicles, but sadly, they are expensive unless you can buy a new truck and get the dealer to throw it in as part of the handover.

As ever, in the UK we are going as cheap as we can and as shoddily as we can get away with.
micksea

Post by micksea »

lebowski wrote:
Dirk wrote:
Realists you mean?

Or dreamers?

I constantly read how leaving the EU will make Britain great again, but nobody seems to be able to come up with examples of ways of doing that.

I would love to talk the UK up, but I don't have anything to talk up. I left because I could have a better standard of living, wouldn't you do the same? Or should I have suffered further for the good of my country who now has a government who, clearly, don't give a stuff about me or a lot of the British public.

The UK is a country currently being run for the good of very rich people, not everyone, should I be proud of that then?
So while we were in Europe (I know we still are)you suffered so badly in this country that you felt you had no option but to leave? Now you want the rest of us to keep suffering to maintain your utopia.the NHS is in a mess,nothing to do with all the extra patients I suppose? State pension pot is empty,nothing to do with all the extra social care for the extra people? 1.5 million expats living abroad,it's OK we've got at least twice that many living here.all our problems are not caused by foreigners living here but by our own government beating us down with the euro stick,that's what we voted against when we voted to leave.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Hgv drivers get shafted whichever country they live and work in unfortunately...ive certs and cards for most relatedcaspects of drivibg ..cranes ,lowloaders etc...but still treated like shit :woohoo: ..
I do like most truck drivers enjoy the driving and office view lol..dcpc is a farce and has little education aspect..we all know the responsibility rests with the employer for training but tgats a double edged sword and money wins..
I drove in france for one 6 month stretch had good aspects and bad...i enjoy a challenge and have pride in my ability and doing a safe job and pleasing the customer...shame employers dont see that...just the percentage profit which is rver shrinking...
micksea

Post by micksea »

Tramp wrote:Hgv drivers get shafted whichever country they live and work in unfortunately...ive certs and cards for most relatedcaspects of drivibg ..cranes ,lowloaders etc...but still treated like shit :woohoo: ..

I do like most truck drivers enjoy the driving and office view lol..dcpc is a farce and has little education aspect..we all know the responsibility rests with the employer for training but tgats a double edged sword and money wins..

I drove in france for one 6 month stretch had good aspects and bad...i enjoy a challenge and have pride in my ability and doing a safe job and pleasing the customer...shame employers dont see that...just the percentage profit which is rver shrinking...
It's a mentality that employers have built up over decades,adjust this by handing in your notice,their attitude towards you will change immediately.obviously you will need a financial incentive to withdraw your notice and carry on blessing them with your presence. (thumbs)
nethen1

Post by nethen1 »

Do I need a cpc for a ccm if I'm in abr, trf, or should I stick with an XT ? Whilst we are in the EU . :whistle:
Are we stoppin for a brew !

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHnqi2JsFoNCV6ktRGEOVXQ/playlists

Braaaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppp :)
lebowski

Post by lebowski »

micksea wrote:
lebowski wrote:
Dirk wrote:
Realists you mean?

Or dreamers?

So while we were in Europe (I know we still are)you suffered so badly in this country that you felt you had no option but to leave? Now you want the rest of us to keep suffering to maintain your utopia.the NHS is in a mess,nothing to do with all the extra patients I suppose? State pension pot is empty,nothing to do with all the extra social care for the extra people? 1.5 million expats living abroad,it's OK we've got at least twice that many living here.all our problems are not caused by foreigners living here but by our own government beating us down with the euro stick,that's what we voted against when we voted to leave.
Wow, really?

Did I say I had no option? I left to improve my standard of living. I paid into the system for more than 30 years, hardly ever used the NHS, paid my NI and taxes. I worked very hard throughout my whole working life to be able to retire early, is that not ok? I will claim my pension, why not?

Am I not allowed to leave and get a better life for myself and my family, having worked hard and paid into the system for years?

Please explain how you, or anyone else is suffering to maintain my 'utopia'?

I agree we let too many people into the UK, freedom of movement was never going to work for the UK, its a small island! The UK didn't have to allow EU nationals to access benefits until they contributed to the system. I have no proof that they did, do you?

You think that the pension pot is dry because of EU nationals coming into the UK? Don't these people pay tax then? Don't they contribute to the system in exactly the same way I did and still do, incidentally?

How is the Government beating you down with the euro stick? Come to think of it, what is a euro stick?

I'd love to hear your reasoned answers to my questions.
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

micksea wrote:the NHS is in a mess,nothing to do with all the extra patients I suppose?
I Was born and bred in Wakefield, a city that used to have 5 hospitals, but through both Labour and Conservative governments, now only has 1. How can it cope? It can't.

Return to “THE PUB”