One year on was it worth it?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
AlanHolt

Re: One year on was it worth it?

Post by AlanHolt »

I never expected to have to correct you Simon, but the Mossos operate alongside the GC, not in place of, and as you know the GC are more of a token gesture.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
EarthWorm

Post by EarthWorm »

Our one hope is that it has been determined that the referendum result is 'advisory only'. Hopefully Parliament will look at the deal that our negotiators bring back from Brussels and decide that some advice is best ignored!
Yea, Sod the majority, we're all just idiots and racists anyway.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

The Remoaners conveniently forget the myriad of dire threats and warnings of immediate distaster made by the Remain camp of which virtually none came true. All done to try and frighten us into voting to stay.
BOTH sides were as bad as as each other so it could be argued that there were as many swayed by the bo****ks spouted by Remain AND Leave so it all balances out.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Don't forget...we are still IN the EU.
That's the reason why goods are still flowing in both directions, car plants are still turning vehicles out for export to Europe etc.
It's like jumping out of a high window...it's fine until you hit the ground!
micksea

Post by micksea »

Hopefully we'll hit the ground soon then we can get some traction to move forward
Richard Simpson Mark II

...that's if the fall doesn't kill us.
Here's what's at stake with just one company in one sector...
Nissan directly employs over 40,000 people in the UK...mostly in manufacturing and R&D. Brexit puts ALL the R&D and manufacturing jobs at risk. As many of you know, Nissan is French-owned, and the French Government and the EU would no doubt be delighted to see them move these jobs to France.
Nissan's total capital investment in the UK stands at £4bn: the Nissan factory in Sunderland produces more vehicles per year than any other car plant in the UK has ...ever!
Nissan spends £3bn in the UK every year on suppliers, services and wages.
That's a lot to put at risk by leaving the EU. You can multiply that up across the automotive sector and into other sectors like aerospace...will French-owned Airbus continue in the UK, or will it make more sense to centralise design and production in France. Imagine having a set of Airbus wings kicking about waiting for an agent to find 20% of their value so they will be released by Customs. Or applying for work permits so British engineers can work alongside their French counterparts and vice versa?
Not going to happen, is it?
Is there any comparable gain that we can hope for?...The most I've seen on this forum is that someone hoped they could buy a more powerful toaster, and someone else thought a more powerful vacuum cleaner. That should make it all worthwhile then.
But, is there an inward investor comparable to Nissan or Airbus waiting in the wings for us to exit the EU so they can invest in the UK, because we have 'taken back control'?
Perhaps they are waiting for a 'bonfire of EU red tape?'...I mean, who needs these tiresome EU regulations covering lefty nonsense like safety and workers rights?
Richard Simpson Mark II

And this from the Road Haulage Association:

It is clear that when the UK leaves the customs union and the single market, customs formalities will have to be introduced – there is no foreseeable way of avoiding this.

RHA chief executive Richard Burnett said: “Leaving the customs union and the single market will impose significant extra bureaucracy on businesses, resulting in friction and cost for all concerned.

“Any reduction in service levels through supply chains will be catastrophic and punishing for business and trade. Businesses need to know that they can get the goods they need, when they need them. Any uncertainty over transit times, through ports or over the Irish/UK land border and must be avoided.”

The RHA has noted comments from the EU Chief Negotiator, Michel B
arnier that “frictionless trade” will not be possible after Brexit. He was quoted yesterday as saying leaving the customs union would in any case involve border formalities.

This would be particularly damaging for companies that operate on a ‘just in time’ basis. For a manufacturer, this would mean keeping products in stock for three or four days instead of a few hours. The knock-on effects of which would be extra warehouse space rental, increased transport costs, thereby incurring a greater logistical risk.”
Richard Simpson Mark II

And the ground is rushing towards us...
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... th-reports
petecam

Post by petecam »

Seminole wrote: Perhaps if you sell that BMW you just bought and forgo the new Twatsuit you plan on buying you can help secure a brighter future for your offspring........alternatively blame any negative outcome on someone else, eh?
Seminole. Thank you for the parenting advice, but I can assure you I do more than many for the British economy and also for my my daughter's future. I can also afford a bike and suit without sending my child to the food bank. (thumbs)
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

"not tariff free, it's a free trade deal"
The definition of free trade is 'trading free of tariff'.
A free-trade area is the region encompassing a trade bloc whose member countries have signed a free-trade agreement (FTA). Such agreements involve cooperation between at least two countries to reduce trade barriers – import quotas and tariffs – and to increase trade of goods and services with each other.
does Japan pay the EU for such a deal ?
why can't they do they same type of deal with us ?
and the term reduce tariffs does not say that there are no Tariffs, as I said (thumbs) Japan will still be paying tariffs on certain goods
cheers Spud
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself

Return to “THE PUB”