Health at a certain age

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Nigel

Re: Health at a certain age

Post by Nigel »

If you can it`s a worthwhile thing to do, I ended donating platelets every couple of weeks.
Apparently donating blood lowers the risk of a heart attack, didn't work for me though :huh:
simonw

Post by simonw »

samfan wrote:I dont trust anything to do with medical profession ,they rely on ill health for their very existence ,if there is not anything wrong they will make something up in order to make it appear they are worth their large income,Thats apart from the perks they get from the drug companies for repetition prescriptions, Sorry if that sounds harsh but its the way things are.
That's factually massively inaccurate.
My best pal worked in research and development for a very large drug company, and is probably better that the general public does not know what is going on.
Drug companies is an entirely different matter...!
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Haemachromatosis whilst it is hereditary doesn't necessarily mean you will pass it on to you children or grandchildren as it can skip generations. My mother was diagnosed with many years ago this lead to renal and liver problems unfortunately these symptoms took their toll on her.
Her twin sister was tested regularly for it and never developed it or her count never got high enough for her to be officially diagnosed.
My brother and I get tested when we can remember every few years again our blood counts are so low that the DRs are not worried about it and it is just something that we need to be aware of, but not concerned about.
As to being a blood donor that is something you will need to discuss with to discuss with you gp once you have all the results in from your test.
I do know that those that suffer from anaemia cannot donate blood.( basically not enough iron in the.blood)
Unfortunately following a fu&k up during an op I am unable to donate blood.
If you do have haemachromatosis you may well ne told to avoid foods such as liver and kale that are naturally high in iron.
Main thing is don't overly worry about it till you have all the facts in front of you.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

samfan wrote:I dont trust anything to do with medical profession ,they rely on ill health for their very existence ,if there is not anything wrong they will make something up in order to make it appear they are worth their large income,Thats apart from the perks they get from the drug companies for repetition prescriptions, Sorry if that sounds harsh but its the way things are. My best pal worked in research and development for a very large drug company, and is probably better that the general public does not know what is going on.
I've seen some bollox posted on this forum but you go straight to the No1 spot.

My Daughter does not get a large income for being in charge of ITU on a 13hr nightshift and neither does my Wife when she's nursing patients dieing of cancer, both whilst coping with staff shortages. Not only do they give expert medical attention to people in the most desperate of situations but they both have saved peoples lives and brought people back from death ..... to my mind they deserve ten times what they get paid.
They are not only preserving the most valuable thing there is ie a human life but they also do their utmost to provide quality care at the end stages of those that cannot be saved. Despite your obvious distrust of them they would do the same for you without question ..... think of that before slagging them off.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
samfan

Post by samfan »

I wasent slagging them off.
gbags

Post by gbags »

92kk k100lt 193214 wrote:That's haemochromatosis.

The simplest cure is become a blood donor, every 90 days. It's the simplest way to reduce the iron in the blood. The cure for it is actually to keep draining blood.

For anyone it's best to become a blood donor. This helps and then monitor the levels. The iron level is checked at a blood donation so you get some idea of what's happening.

Unchecked its a very serious condition and needs a blood test to find it.

That's all as I got it from my GP and it's simple.
Will they take blood from over 50's?
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

My son qualified as a doctor and works in the local general hospital. His first choice and wish was to work A&E and has 4 years there now. He gives it his all and those that rely on him and many more like him are lucky. A busy A&E department is about as tough as you get.
The reality is that people feel short changed when they go pay for a visit to a doctor because they don't feel well and end up being told walk 3 miles a day, drink less beer and get no prescription for medication. I feel lucky to have a GP who will say it as it is but I always chat things over with my son.
The worst thing is in NHS there are too many managers who tell the medical profession how to do their jobs. Anyone trying to tell me how to my job gets shown the door and told go find some one else. Experience has shown me that's trouble that should be avoided.
The subject matter here is haemachromatosis and it can be managed without medication up to a point by being a blood donor. The simple process removes the iron from the body which will replace it in time. It's life threatening and does not need to be.
Here's the challenge from me.
How about anyone over 40 on the forum goes for a blood test to see what their iron levels are, see what comes out of it. We then post up the percentage.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

In Ireland you can be come a first time blood donor up to 65 I think. An existing donor can donate up to about 75.
Every 90 days.
We tend to be same as UK.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
hotbulb

Post by hotbulb »

I've been a donor for donkey's years .... the appointment letters/texts seem to arrive 3 times a year. I used to give in work, before I retired: good excuse for getting away from the desk for an hour - a short lie-down, tea and biscuits! And i hope to continue to do so until age 70 (or is it 75?)
I've never had anything adverse reported to me, so i think my blood must be fine (and i haven't troubled a GP for probably 20 years .... but i probably shouldn't tempt fate by mentioning it)
I count myself fortunate :)
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

92kk k100lt 193214 wrote:My son qualified as a doctor and works in the local general hospital. His first choice and wish was to work A&E and has 4 years there now. He gives it his all and those that rely on him and many more like him are lucky. A busy A&E department is about as tough as you get.

The reality is that people feel short changed when they go pay for a visit to a doctor because they don't feel well and end up being told walk 3 miles a day, drink less beer and get no prescription for medication. I feel lucky to have a GP who will say it as it is but I always chat things over with my son.

The worst thing is in NHS there are too many managers who tell the medical profession how to do their jobs. Anyone trying to tell me how to my job gets shown the door and told go find some one else. Experience has shown me that's trouble that should be avoided.

The subject matter here is haemachromatosis and it can be managed without medication up to a point by being a blood donor. The simple process removes the iron from the body which will replace it in time. It's life threatening and does not need to be.

Here's the challenge from me.

How about anyone over 40 on the forum goes for a blood test to see what their iron levels are, see what comes out of it. We then post up the percentage.
that's an interesting point if they can take my blood and use it, i get a bit betterera and someone can benifit, good suggestion

steve

Return to “THE PUB”