Election 2017

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
SteveR

Re: Election 2017

Post by SteveR »

Redmurty wrote:of course there is always an alternative. Why do some many have to go to Uni ? Going to Uni now seems to be a life style choice or a right of passage for a lot of kids nowadays.

I was told yesterday the latest figure is 67% of all school leavers now go on to Uni. How many high quality post grad jobs are out there I wonder ?

I was talking to one of my clients yesterday about an apprentice scheme his company runs, he stated that they cannot fill the places with kids from the UK and the last course 2 places went to 2 kids from the Lebanon. The successful applicant and course finisher either comes away with an HND or a degree whilst being paid a wages of 26k.

Cheers Spud ;)
Oh aye, some of the "Courses" on offer are a complete farce IMO. £36K on fees, another £15K on accommodation and kit. For a Degree in something completely and utterly u/s as regards making a career, or even getting a job when the kid graduates in something like SocioPolitics in Modern Art, 1983-1985.

The latest scam from the "privatised" Universities is to tack on a Masters after 3 years... Partially justified for some, as Employers now are saying "so yeah, you have been to Uni... Big Deal!" The youngsters now need to show over and above. And of course the Unis offer "special deals" to teh students staying on... of course they bloody do!!

Good employers are increasingly offering training and degree status in tandem, and especially in the Finance sectors I believe from chatting to my kids friends.
EarthWorm

Post by EarthWorm »

I was told yesterday the latest figure is 67% of all school leavers now go on to Uni. How many high quality post grad jobs are out there I wonder ?
How many of the post graduates are High enough quality to fill such jobs?.
In my experience of trying to work with them quality has been falling with the rise in numbers, a sizable number of grads seem to have left with a degree attained largely through learning by rote (with the help of a bit of internet plagiarism of course).......the proportion leaving with the capacity for problem solving or citical analysis, seems to be diminishing correspondingly.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration
Alan29

Post by Alan29 »

Having 50% going to university is a great way of controlling the unemployment figures. And if you can get them to pay for it themselves ........ job's a good'un.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Youngsters don't seem to know 'stuff' these days.
All those bits and pieces of knowledge you build up outside school and, ultimately, over life.
"....that was before I was born" is a classic. Things did happen before in case they don't know that.
I was brought up on DIY, my grandads allotment and learning life in general.
No TV and we only had a house phone 2 years after we were married (in 1977) but yesterday they were saying about running up huge data bills because people going on holiday can't live without downloading films on their phones for **** sake!!! GET A LIFE!!!
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

DavidS wrote:Youngsters don't seem to know 'stuff' these days.

All those bits and pieces of knowledge you build up outside school and, ultimately, over life.

"....that was before I was born" is a classic. Things did happen before in case they don't know that.

I was brought up on DIY, my grandads allotment and learning life in general.
No TV and we only had a house phone 2 years after we were married (in 1977) but yesterday they were saying about running up huge data bills because people going on holiday can't live without downloading films on their phones for **** sake!!! GET A LIFE!!!
Nail, head, hit! (thumbs)
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

Stolen from Fartbook. Made me giggle.

Corbyn.jpg
Corbyn.jpg (36.96 KiB) Viewed 1765 times
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

DavidS wrote:Youngsters don't seem to know 'stuff' these days.

"....that was before I was born" is a classic. Things did happen before in case they don't know that
Not sure it's just youngsters :laugh:

My next door neighbour retired from the steelworks a year ago (60). Came back from holiday and his petrol lawnmower wouldn't work properly. He pops his head over the fence and asks me (52) to take a look "because you know this kind of stuff". 20 mins later had diagnosed a loose dog clutch, nipped it up and he was off cutting his grass again.

When he asked how I knew such stuff I just replied that I had mucked about with engines since my early twenties and just applied that knowledge to the mechanical problem in front of me. My approach started at 17 when my dad left and someone had to paint the window frames and fix the roof leaks for mum = me!

I'm trying hard to inculcate a desire for learning and experimentation in my kids (12 and 8) because I'd rather they do something they have a passion for (and I will happily support them to do) than just go to uni because the system pushes them that way
(thumbs)

Return to “THE PUB”