Election 2017

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
SPEN

Re: Election 2017

Post by SPEN »

Labour promised to scrap Uni fees that's why they got the young vote , but someone has to pay ,
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

SPEN wrote:Labour promised to scrap Uni fees that's why they got the young vote , but someone has to pay ,
Tories bribed the elderly with unsustainable triple lock pension provision - paid for by all of us. Labour offer to restore free higher education so that we get a better educated and less indebted workforce for the future - paid for by all of us. I know which looks like the better use of public money to me.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

daveuprite wrote:
SPEN wrote:Labour promised to scrap Uni fees that's why they got the young vote , but someone has to pay ,
Tories bribed the elderly with unsustainable triple lock pension provision - paid for by all of us. Labour offer to restore free higher education so that we get a better educated and less indebted workforce for the future - paid for by all of us. I know which looks like the better use of public money to me.
understand the sentiment and with someone just about off to uni I see what you are saying but where is the money coming from to pay for this free education ?

I am not against the free education by any means just not into getting the country further in debt to pay for it. After all if someone goes to uni get a good education then through that process get a better higher paying job and then repays more taxes (thumbs) goodo, but with 50% of kids going to uni and lots not getting a decent job upon leaving how and when does that debt get paid.

we need to build a strong robust private sector to create jobs and thus increase employment, that increase in employment will create wealth that can then be used to pay for the public sector, surely ? or as I heard a Labour guy say we need to build the public sector and their spending will create wealth, though he couldn't explain to me where the money was coming from in the first place.

infrastructure needs sorting out so we can move goods and trade items about thus increasing trade and the countries wealth ?

Housing people say there is a shortage of house's yes of course there is we have an open door policy for anyone to walk in, unless the government actually build some houses themselves where are they going to come from ? Private companies build houses and they build bigger houses with the most profit margin on :whistle: so how does that help the people without house's ?

Perhaps it's me, I don't spend money I haven't got. But I see the point speculate to accumulate, borrow to grow and hopefully get a good return

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
SPEN

Post by SPEN »

Redmurty wrote:
daveuprite wrote:
understand the sentiment and with someone just about off to uni I see what you are saying but where is the money coming from to pay for this free education ?

I am not against the free education by any means just not into getting the country further in debt to pay for it. After all if someone goes to uni get a good education then through that process get a better higher paying job and then repays more taxes (thumbs) goodo, but with 50% of kids going to uni and lots not getting a decent job upon leaving how and when does that debt get paid.

we need to build a strong robust private sector to create jobs and thus increase employment, that increase in employment will create wealth that can then be used to pay for the public sector, surely ? or as I heard a Labour guy say we need to build the public sector and their spending will create wealth, though he couldn't explain to me where the money was coming from in the first place.

infrastructure needs sorting out so we can move goods and trade items about thus increasing trade and the countries wealth ?

Housing people say there is a shortage of house's yes of course there is we have an open door policy for anyone to walk in, unless the government actually build some houses themselves where are they going to come from ? Private companies build houses and they build bigger houses with the most profit margin on :whistle: so how does that help the people without house's ?

Perhaps it's me, I don't spend money I haven't got. But I see the point speculate to accumulate, borrow to grow and hopefully get a good return

cheers Spud ;)
Again 100% agree ,don't live beyond your means , even a country should stick by that principle.
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

God help us all...
First we had Diane Abbot showing her arithmetic prowess (just before throwing a sickie),
next we had JC claiming he'd "won" the election, even though he's got 60 fewer MPs than the other mob!
Now we've got to listen to Emily Thornberry claiming they won!
Is there no lie politicians won't tell to or false claim they won't make?
Power corrupts..... :sick:
SPEN

Post by SPEN »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Apart from the concept of introducing young people to high levels of unsecured debt (they have obviously forgotten 2008) the other immoral aspect of tuition fees and student loans is the high levels of interest. I believe the current rate is 6% when most high street banks will give you a loan for about 3.5. Still I suppose they have been teaching the younger generation the government is out to screw them, no wonder so many voted for something different.
The younger voters also tend to be pro remain and as it is going to take a minimum of two years to sort the debacle out, at the current rate there will be more new voters than the difference between Leave and remain was at the time of the referendum.
Cheers Jak
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

of course there is always an alternative. Why do some many have to go to Uni ? Going to Uni now seems to be a life style choice or a right of passage for a lot of kids nowadays.
I was told yesterday the latest figure is 67% of all school leavers now go on to Uni. How many high quality post grad jobs are out there I wonder ?
I was talking to one of my clients yesterday about an apprentice scheme his company runs, he stated that they cannot fill the places with kids from the UK and the last course 2 places went to 2 kids from the Lebanon. The successful applicant and course finisher either comes away with an HND or a degree whilst being paid a wages of 26k.
Cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Redmurty wrote:of course there is always an alternative. Why do some many have to go to Uni ? Going to Uni now seems to be a life style choice or a right of passage for a lot of kids nowadays.

I was told yesterday the latest figure is 67% of all school leavers now go on to Uni. How many high quality post grad jobs are out there I wonder ?
Cheers Spud ;)
Precisely, it`s a life style choice and we are expected to pay for it, I know two teachers both of whom got their qualifications whilst working and doing open university degrees, one of whom ended up as head of the maths department ;)
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Return to “THE PUB”