Indicating

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
WIBO

Re: Indicating

Post by WIBO »

HarveyCamm wrote:Must be something wrong with my indicators - they only work half of the time :woohoo:

I'll just go now :whistle:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's akin to ' I should get a job as a bin man as they only work one day per week '

:)
Will It Buff Out?
uturntony

Post by uturntony »

Seminole wrote:
Redmurty wrote:I've been told they are not taught to indicate anymore :pinch:

cheers Spud ;)
I never had a Car license till late in life and then only got it for work.
did it about 7 years ago and one of things I found damn stupid was the insistance that there was no need to indicate when pulling out if there was no person or vehicle around to be effected by the maneuver!!!! FFS, even when I pointed out to the instructor that maybe there was something around, but I just haven't see it?, he continued insisting that he was correct.

Idiocrasy is upon us.
Comes from the "Defensive Driving" mantra. If you have observed properly then there should be no problem and by needing to make the decision about whether anyone would benefit from the deployed indicator or not you needed to have a proper look. Makes for better obs. it is reckoned.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

There is no APP for using indicators yet...
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

uturntony wrote:
Seminole wrote:
Redmurty wrote:I've been told they are not taught to indicate anymore :pinch:

cheers Spud ;)
I never had a Car license till late in life and then only got it for work.
did it about 7 years ago and one of things I found damn stupid was the insistance that there was no need to indicate when pulling out if there was no person or vehicle around to be effected by the maneuver!!!! FFS, even when I pointed out to the instructor that maybe there was something around, but I just haven't see it?, he continued insisting that he was correct.

Idiocrasy is upon us.
Comes from the "Defensive Driving" mantra. If you have observed properly then there should be no problem and by needing to make the decision about whether anyone would benefit from the deployed indicator or not you needed to have a proper look. Makes for better obs. it is reckoned.
I thought that might be the reasoning, its bollox though innit, who in there right mind puts forward a methodology that requires perfect observation for it to be workable?
Idiots
simonw

Post by simonw »

One argument against this is if you are approaching a junction into and out of which you can't see, and into which you are about to turn, a vehicle suddenly arriving at the junction from that road may assume you are going straight on (since you won't be indicating because at the start of the manoeuvre you didn't indicate because there was no one around).
OB1

Post by OB1 »

I am in total agreement with you all that indicating seems to be forgotten these days - especially at roundabouts... bugs the hell out of me. If I can release pressure on the left bar to move my thumb to activate the indicator, surely the car driver can move a finger to do the same whilst driving?
There is another lazy car driver trait that also bothers me: sitting at the lights or in a queue with their foot on the brake. When you're learning and in the Highway Code, we are told to apply the handbrake and put the vehicle into neutral. The reason why this bothers me so much is, when riding a motorcycle, your eye-line is round about the same height as the third brake light which can be very bright and dazzling, especially at night or in the rain. Not only is this irritating, it can also be dangerous and costly... as I learnt some 20 years ago.
I was driving a friends car into work one morning, I was sat behind a couple of cars at the lights with the car in first and my foot on the clutch when I heard the screeching of tyres behind me. I look up to the rear view mirror just in time to see the Sierra just before he rammed the back of my car... which caused my foot to slip off the brake and ram the car in front of me. If I had engaged the handbrake, I probably wouldn't have hit the car in front and could have saved myself a claim on my insurance. Since then, when I come to a stop for more than a couple of seconds in my car, I will apply the handbrake.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
bowber

Post by bowber »

The person who rammed you will have been responsible for paying out, however if you were third party only you will have had to fight that yourself maybe?
Many years ago a work colleague did just the same but he was the car doing the ramming, 3 cars in front were damaged as not one of them had their hand brake on. Yes his insurance had to pay out for all damage.
Steve
OB1

Post by OB1 »

bowber wrote:The person who rammed you will have been responsible for paying out, however if you were third party only you will have had to fight that yourself maybe?
That was my problem, Steve. As it was my friend's car, I was third party only... :S
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com

Return to “THE PUB”