Speed camera vans

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
clutchspring

Speed camera vans

Post by clutchspring »

May have been zapped by a camera van parked on a over head bridge on the m74 ,
How do they get your number plate when on a motorcycle is there a camera on the opposite side of the van .
Thanks,
Ian. :(
Nigel

Re: Speed camera vans

Post by Nigel »

YES, don`t ask how I know :angry:
sven

Post by sven »

The M74 always has a scamera van on a bridge somewhere along its length. I drive up there on business on a semi-regular basis and just set the cruise control to 72mph (70 on the GPS), sit back and listen to the radio (thumbs)
On the bike I take the B7076 running alongside if wanting to get past Glasgow quickly, or take a more scenic option. At least on an A/B road you don't actually have to pass the van if you think they've nabbed you ;)
johnnyboxer

Speed camera vans

Post by johnnyboxer »

They take a pic of you from the front/back/other side
These vans are equipped with multiple static cameras including ANPR too
The operator can also take a rear pic with a camera too to match up with the official one of the speed camera, with date & time etc
Well, they are in North Yorkshire
There is little escape, so best to stick to speed limit nowadays - my bike rarely does over 60 on an A or B road
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

johnnyboxer wrote:They take a pic of you from the front/back/other side
The operator can also take a rear pic with a camera too to match up with the official one of the speed camera, with date & time etc

There is little escape, so best to stick to speed limit nowadays - my bike rarely does over 60 on an A or B road
wonder how that would stack up in court, front face with speed on, you break hard and second pic is just a pick with no data on it

steve
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

ollydog wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:They take a pic of you from the front/back/other side

wonder how that would stack up in court, front face with speed on, you break hard and second pic is just a pick with no data on it

steve
Well you could argue it in court, I didn`t bother, and I bet you would lose and if you do they will hit you with the new bigger fines :ohmy:
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

It depends on the van. Many of them now have a second camera to pick up motorcycle number plates. Some are no more sophisticated than a man sticking a camera on a tripod though a window and the van is just acting as transport and a shelter. On a wide motorway bridge when they are parked next to the railing, they sometimes can't get line of sight of the other side off the bridge until you are too far away to pick up the plate.
You'll just have to wait 14 days to find out.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

sven wrote:The M74 always has a scamera van on a bridge somewhere along its length. I drive up there on business on a semi-regular basis and just set the cruise control to 72mph (70 on the GPS), sit back and listen to the radio (thumbs)
My tactic now too. I never speed in any limit with a red ring around it anyway, but have always used my own judgement in NSL.

Having just done my second speed awareness course yesterday (84 on the A34 at Winchester), I've given up fighting the system and just set the cruise control to 79 on the speedo (10% +2) knowing that I'll be actually doing about 76 if a camera zaps me.

But like you, I'm concentrating on the talk show on the radio, not on the road, where when I was doing an indicated 85/90 I was always concentrating on the road, partially because things happen quicker so you have to concentrate, and partially because I was always scanning for speed traps (it was an unmarked vehicle set up a covert trap that got me so no clever comments about observation please).

When asked yesterday what I'd do to avoid me repeating my speeding offence, I said "Download a decent audio book before I leave" :laugh:

That's what the government seems to want us all to do, reduce the speed limits so much that it's nigh on impossible to crash into each other because we are all going so slowly, and as a result everyone stops concentrating. What happens when they no longer need to concentrate on the road? People start doing other things, like looking at Facebook!

The A34 between Solihull and Stratford Upon Avon, when they reduced the limit from 60 to 50, one of the local papers did a freedom of information request. There had been more accidents at 50 mph than there had been at 60. The drivers who had been doing 50 weren't concentrating.

The guy on the speed awareness course yesterday admitted that the reduction in speed limits is not reducing the accident rate, in some cases it's increasing it, more stupid fender benders that should never have happened. But reducing the speed of those accidents is it's just improving the outcomes, less injury crashes. So it's all about making the killed and seriously injured statistics drop in number as that's what the government measures.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

When asked yesterday what I'd do to avoid me repeating my speeding offence, I said "Download a decent audio book before I leave"
I hope he had a sense of humour....? I have had 2 reports of a local "speed and safety course" trainer being an absolute dick! :(
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Ride everywhere on a dirt bike with a muddy plate? Make sure it is wet, so the cops can just ask you to clean the "fresh mud" off.... A farm style 4WD also works ;-)

Return to “THE PUB”