Manchester arena bomb

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
-Ralph-

Re: Manchester arena bomb

Post by -Ralph- »

The carrying out of terrorist attacks is where the similarities between Daesh and the IRA come to an end.
Daesh aren't even remotely similar to Al Queda, even though that's partly where they come from.
Daesh do not fight for any political cause, they act upon an extreme religious ideology, and politics is just an excuse used to attack the West and in doing so further the ideology by killing "infidels".
IRA had political aims and thought they could achieve those through terrorism.
Al Queda had semi political semi religious aims and acted to a large part out of revenge for western foreign policy.
Daesh have purely the aims of a bunch of religious nutcases and want to kill indiscriminately anyone who isn't them, they kill because thier aim is ethnic cleansing.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Do you think this country has the political or public will to tackle this problem ? or the public will put up with a Gitmo type situation in this country ?
Personally I think we are way behind the curve ball and have left it far to late, we will learn to catch up as we always do but that may upset a few of the more liberal types in this country.
Talking to a mate of mine a while back and they said (and they would know) is what we see or are aware of is the tip of the iceberg
Cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

I am a liberal type, some of the right wing stuff on the Brexit thread made me cringe, but it can go too far, when you don't enforce the law because you are scared of being branded racist.
If we get many more attacks like this (this is the first one that's actually made a tear run down my face, due to the age of many of the victims) then the public will will be there, and the political will to do anything difficult only ever comes from public pressure.
Given some of the things I've heard and read since Brexit, I think a lot of the public would support a Gitmo situation, but I personally wouldn't, I never want to live in a place where innocent until proven guilty is not sacrosanct, but where that becomes an obstacle to dealing with genuine criminals, then you change the law to make it easier to prove them guilty.
It was internment of innocent Muslims in places like Camp Bucca in Iraq, mixed in with Al Qaeda fanatics and pissed off members of Saddam Hussein's Baathist party and military, that created Daesh in the first place.
Alan29

Post by Alan29 »

UKIP MEP has the right idea ..... death penalty for suicide bombers.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Alan29 wrote:UKIP MEP has the right idea ..... death penalty for suicide bombers.
Fake news.... What she actually said was death penalty for terrorism offences, like the 8 guys that are custody just now. But the media put "death penalty for suicide bombers" in the headlines.
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Alan29 wrote:UKIP MEP has the right idea ..... death penalty for suicide bombers.
Is that supposed to be a joke?
Cone

Post by Cone »

Seminole wrote:
Is that supposed to be a joke?
I understand one of the aims of ISIS is to drive as much division into the country as possible, one of the risks now is that parties like UKIP will drive down the path of becoming more right wing to pull the votes of the people who feel disenfranchised with the current system. With the conservative looking the only reliable party at the moment and the risk that labour with disintegrate post failure of the election campaign gives a dire outlook on our politics and how we are to move forward as a country and integrate all the different ethnicity in Britain.

I guess we can only hope for the best and pray for everyone who has been impacted by this devastating atrocity
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

-Ralph- wrote:I am a liberal type, some of the right wing stuff on the Brexit thread made me cringe, but it can go too far, when you don't enforce the law because you are scared of being branded racist.

If we get many more attacks like this (this is the first one that's actually made a tear run down my face, due to the age of many of the victims) then the public will will be there, and the political will to do anything difficult only ever comes from public pressure.

Given some of the things I've heard and read since Brexit, I think a lot of the public would support a Gitmo situation, but I personally wouldn't, I never want to live in a place where innocent until proven guilty is not sacrosanct, but where that becomes an obstacle to dealing with genuine criminals, then you change the law to make it easier to prove them guilty.

It was internment of innocent Muslims in places like Camp Bucca in Iraq, mixed in with Al Qaeda fanatics and pissed off members of Saddam Hussein's Baathist party and military, that created Daesh in the first place.
There lies the problem Ralph at what level do you respond? Before we become the very countries we complain about.

Personally I would be happy for the government to say that if you stay in the UK you abide by the UK rules, if you are not happy with that here's a one way ticket by to your ancestral homeland.

Cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Diesel Pete

Post by Diesel Pete »

I am hearing a lot of rumours that an event I am attending next month is a listed as at high risk of an attack. Is there such a list available to the public or is it just social media rumour control being busy again?
Not that it will stop me going as I am not giving in to these twats!

Return to “THE PUB”