Advanced riding assessment

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
SteveR

Advanced riding assessment

Post by SteveR »

I found and went on the local Advanced Riders website as I had no response to 2 emails early in the year for going on one of their assessment days following an invite to book a ride in the local rag. A bit disappointed, as I know I benefit from a "refresher" course or ride after a layoff, other than dirt bikes, over Winter ;-)
Why on earth do they need all this stuff...? Surely in the event of a "pull" it is the responsibility of the Rider, not the Assessor?
I guess it's their party, so they can make their own rules, but none of this stuff was required on any of the training rides I have done before. :-)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Along with your roadworthy motorcycle, you will need to bring the following documents:
1. Current Driving Licence
2. Current MOT certificate (If Appropriate)
3. Current Insurance Certificate
4. Proof of Vehicle Excise Duty (road tax)
Click on the link below to access proof of road tax (print a copy to bring with you)
https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/
Click on the link below to access driving licence information (print a copy to bring with you) https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence
You will also need to complete an eyesight test (You must be able to read (with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) a car number plate made after 1 September 2001 from 20 metres).
Failure on any of the above will result in no assessment being conducted.

Eligibility - Assessment Days are open to full licence holders with category A1, A2 and A entitlement
g00ner

Re: Advanced riding assessment

Post by g00ner »

Bit weird - frustrated wannabe plod maybe?
Did a riding assessment couple of months back to qualify for SERV volunteering - they only wanted my driver no.
bowber

Post by bowber »

I needed all that when I did mine last year, was a good day though.
Steve
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

bowber wrote:I needed all that when I did mine last year, was a good day though.

Steve
I've enjoyed my assessment rides too in the past, just wondering why so much bumph!
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

g00ner wrote:Bit weird - frustrated wannabe plod maybe?

Did a riding assessment couple of months back to qualify for SERV volunteering - they only wanted my driver no.
More like it... :) OK, check the rider is qualified to ride a "big" bike, but any more?
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

That's more than the Police required when I did a Bike Safe last year :blink:
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
midlife

Post by midlife »

You may well find that it all boils down to their organisation's insurance and covering their backs. If you were to attend one of their events without all the right credentials and you had an accident, possibly you or a third party could sue the organisation as they were the organisers and had not carried out basic information checks.
Speedofile

Post by Speedofile »

midlife wrote:You may well find that it all boils down to their organisation's insurance and covering their backs. If you were to attend one of their events without all the right credentials and you had an accident, possibly you or a third party could sue the organisation as they were the organisers and had not carried out basic information checks.
You're right, some companies don't want to pay for super insurance so they are forced to ask for loads of things. If I may make a suggestion for anyone who may be interested...

Off Road Skills in Wales run by Simon Pavey is the best £500 for 2 days riding/training I have ever done!
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Steve just follow me down the road and learn :whistle:
cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Redmurty wrote:Steve just follow me down the road and learn :whistle:

cheers Spud ;)