Who earns 80 grand?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Mac 60

Re: Who earns 80 grand?

Post by Mac 60 »

Anyone with an ounce of sense knows we need people with the drive to start a business and hopefully build it up. It obviously is extreme hard work. They deserve the big bucks and at the end of the day they provide jobs for the rest of us who arnt so inclined. To be honest after 23 years in the military i enjoy being a mere employee. I get to clock out at five each day and i dont have to give my job another thought till the next morning. Quiting time on Fridays feels so liberating i can say my job dosent enter my head till Monday morning. A luxury not afforded to me in the military. To those with the inclination to build up a successful business all power to your elbows (thumbs)
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I started this post because of the response of one Tory MP and the Daily Mail to Labour's tax plans which implied that £80,000 was a 'middle income'. Quite clearly the majority who have posted on here know that is not the case. The morality of taxation and the way that countries manage it is always going to be a thorny question. However Labour's manifesto levels of Corporation taxes are below those under Thatcher (or Blair for that matter) they are amongst the lowest in the G7. The top levels of income tax they want would be below those under Thatcher as well. As for tax avoidance Teresa May's husbands £1.1 trillion investment company avoided paying UK tax.
Virtually every time a poll is conducted asking whether people would be prepared to pay more income tax to support the NHS people say yes, however they do not vote for the parties that put forward such policies. Obviously they may take other policies into consideration.
Whether the wealthy have a moral obligation to the poor is another interesting question and the evidence in this country would be that the majority of the wealthy do not feel that they do, hence the failure of Cameron's big society and the massive growth of food banks in one of the richest countries in the world.
I totally agree with those who say that health and quality of life are far more important than how much you earn, however I appreciate that it is much easier for those who are not hungry to say that.
Cheers Jak
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

Jak* wrote:I started this post because of the response of one Tory MP and the Daily Mail to Labour's tax plans which implied that £80,000 was a 'middle income'. Quite clearly the majority who have posted on here know that is not the case. The morality of taxation and the way that countries manage it is always going to be a thorny question. However Labour's manifesto levels of Corporation taxes are below those under Thatcher (or Blair for that matter) they are amongst the lowest in the G7. The top levels of income tax they want would be below those under Thatcher as well. As for tax avoidance Teresa May's husbands £1.1 trillion investment company avoided paying UK tax.
Virtually every time a poll is conducted asking whether people would be prepared to pay more income tax to support the NHS people say yes, however they do not vote for the parties that put forward such policies. Obviously they may take other policies into consideration.
Whether the wealthy have a moral obligation to the poor is another interesting question and the evidence in this country would be that the majority of the wealthy do not feel that they do, hence the failure of Cameron's big society and the massive growth of food banks in one of the richest countries in the world.
I totally agree with those who say that health and quality of life are far more important than how much you earn, however I appreciate that it is much easier for those who are not hungry to say that.
Cheers Jak
Its a personal choice Jak, be hungry or not, I left the Army with nothing. We / the UK seem to have developed a culture of excuses why to work or not to work, to better ones self or to complain or finacially punish those who have said "bollocks, I am going to get what I want out of life"

Everyone has a choice and equal chances in this Country , despite want you read in the Labour manifesto!
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Sarge I think that you may live in a different country to the one that I live in. Where I live and work people are not born or raised with equal life chances, granted most of them have better life chances than the majority of those from Syria at the moment, but that does not make them equal. Among those who start of with 'equal' chances life does not always deal them the same hand. Many of our fellow ex servicemen are now living on the streets, I doubt that is through a genuine 'choice' that they have made. Personally I find that a quite shameful situation in a country as wealthy as ours.
Cheers Jak
Trev

Post by Trev »

The Sarge wrote:
Jak* wrote: Everyone has a choice and equal chances in this Country , despite want you read in the Labour manifesto!
Well said Sarge! It's all about choice, make yours go for it and don't whinge and moan at people who make a different choice.

I have no problem with people who don't want to earn more or run a business or even those who don't want to work but I do have a problem with people who tell others they shouldn't do it or, when they do, that somehow they then owe something to those who don't want to.
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

Jak* wrote:Sarge I think that you may live in a different country to the one that I live in. Where I live and work people are not born or raised with equal life chances, granted most of them have better life chances than the majority of those from Syria at the moment, but that does not make them equal. Among those who start of with 'equal' chances life does not always deal them the same hand. Many of our fellow ex servicemen are now living on the streets, I doubt that is through a genuine 'choice' that they have made. Personally I find that a quite shameful situation in a country as wealthy as ours.
Cheers Jak
We will agree to disagree but don't tell me i live in a differenrt country,. I employ people from Objective One areas deemed / classified as disadvantaged by the EU. I could employ more but there are those that will get out of bed in the morning and those that won't. And before you go any further I have 3 employees who are on invalidity benefits, one of which is a double amputee from the Army. There are choices if you look for them, and choices if you look further than your front door.
Trev

Post by Trev »

Jak* wrote:
Cheers Jak
Interesting thread Jak, thanks for kicking it off. Totally agree with your comment, it's bloody tough never having enough to cover the bills from month to month which is one reason why I decided to improve my chances of earning more and not wanting for money,

in this country no one should go hungry or homeless and I'm proud and pleased to pay a shed load of tax towards helping this not to be the case. However, I strongly believe that the benefits culture is not helping us as a country, and I speak as someone with first hand experience from several perspectives. We are turning into a nation who think they 'deserve' something rather than they have to 'earn' something.
gazxt1200z

Post by gazxt1200z »

I have just had a pay rise from £7.20 to £7.50 not bad eh for somebody who is 55yrs old,we sometimes work 65hrs a week driving cars for an auction company but because we are on a zero hours contract and it works by what time of year the new reg's are out we have been laid off last week until mid august,limited to this job as I am awaiting a knee replacement.
Mac 60

Post by Mac 60 »

gazxt1200z wrote:I have just had a pay rise from £7.20 to £7.50 not bad eh for somebody who is 55yrs old,we sometimes work 65hrs a week driving cars for an auction company but because we are on a zero hours contract and it works by what time of year the new reg's are out we have been laid off last week until mid august,limited to this job as I am awaiting a knee replacement.
After smashing my right shoulder and arm last year i returned to work with limited movement in my right arm. My boss quickly saw it as an opportunity to reduce me to the minimum wage as i couldent do my old job. I refuse to apply for P.I.P and turn up for work up as with a smile on my face and go home the same way. Iam 53 and have never been unemployed a day in my life and i owe nothing to any man so i think iam still well off. My vices are few (motorbike mainly) and i like the simple life. Ive never chased money for moneys sake. I know for some its their reason to exist and fair play to them. The country needs them but its not for me. But what really makes me smile is the reaction from money driven people when they come across someone who,s not. Its like they have walked into a brick wall. It always makes me giggle as they try to convert me to their way of thinking. I lost my wife when she was just 43 so i live in the moment and dont wry about tomorrow. Might never see it. (thumbs)
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Hi,please do not misunderstand me I am not having a go at those on this forum or elsewhere who have triumphed over adversity. I believe from what they have posted on other threads that there are many contributors on here who have been dealt some pretty tough hands and through hard work have achieved a great deal. What I am saying is that we do not live in a country which has equality of opportunity and that actually over the last seven years equality has reduced. Put simplistically if you were boy whose father (and it would be a father) went to Eton you are far more likely to go to Eton than someone whose father did not go there. If your mother was a drug addict you are far more likely to be a drug addict. I grant you they are at extreme ends of the spectrum but those are facts.
Whilst I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth (or up my nose) I realise now that I had a relatively lucky upbringing, as I had parents who loved and cared for me and valued education. I not realise until I was about seventeen and I went with a mate to visit his girlfriends house that there are households in the U.K. where no one can read.
In my work I am constantly staggered by the daily lives that some of the children in this country have, it is not their fault, it is just the luck of their birth. Apparently the Tories want to cut free school meals, for some children that is the only food they get each day. It is very difficult to learn if you are hungry.
We may live in the same country but if you saw what I do on a daily basis you would not for one moment believe that we have an equal or fair society, and you would also see that it is getting worse.
Cheers Jak

Return to “THE PUB”