Who earns 80 grand?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
SteveW

Re: Who earns 80 grand?

Post by SteveW »

Rederic wrote:I know exactly what you mean I personally don't pay my butler anywhere near that amount , I just about give that much to my three house staff combined (hope they don't get wind of this)
Must go I have to go and whip some of the new boys
Eric, I heard you paid out at least 80K for scullery maids abortions last year and those super injunctions don't come cheap.
tempesc

Who earns 80 grand?

Post by tempesc »

Ok, i'll bite :-)

I am one of the lucky ones. I work hard, under quite a lot of pressure and doing long hours (nature of the job). But so do others (e.g. healthcare professionals) who still get paid a lot less. Main thing is i make my employer a lot of money - in a capitalist economy that makes me 'valuable' (i don't agree with this definition of value, but society does).

I actively want to pay all the tax that is due (after all if I did not would it be the bit going to health, education or looking after those less fortunate that i would want to avoid).....

......but overall i pay less income tax than you might expect so am one of the 'avoiders' on paper.

In practice this is because i use gift aid to fund aid projects in two african countries working with some of the poorest in the world. This accounts for about 30-40% of my annual income.

I live in a 3 bed semi (as i have done for the last 13 years), feel very privileged to have what i have, and don't want anything more.

Dangerous things stereotypes :-)
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

SteveW wrote:
Rederic wrote:I know exactly what you mean I personally don't pay my butler anywhere near that amount , I just about give that much to my three house staff combined (hope they don't get wind of this)
Eric, I heard you paid out at least 80K for scullery maids abortions last year and those super injunctions don't come cheap.
LOL, just spat coffee all over my laptop!
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Tyrant68

Post by Tyrant68 »

Brenhden wrote:
SteveW wrote:
LOL, just spat coffee all over my laptop!
Ditto :laugh:
"The trails of the world be countless, and most of the trails be tried.

You tread on the heels of many, till you come where the ways divide.

And one lies safe in the sunlight, and the other is dreary and wan, Yet you look aslant at the Lone Trail, and the Lone Trail lures you on....

....Bid good-bye to sweetheart, bid goodbye to friend, The Lone Trail, the Lone Trail, follow to the end.

Tarry not, and fear not, chosen of the true;

Lover of the Lone Trail, The Lone Trail waits for you"
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

Last week I got my end of year certificate or P60, and just had a look and I earn £17327.93p gross and after tax, NI and pension come away each month with about £1200. Shite, literally, as i'm a binman. :P
Trev

Post by Trev »

[quote="dave448" post=583237
My point is that there is an assumption that those getting a lot are somehow ...cheating somewhere and therefore it's 'fair' that the ..greedy bankers (ie 'them') should bear a greater burden ..
If everyone showed his commitment ..etcetc .. 8-)[/quote]

It's an interesting one, bankers are greedy, footballers are taking what the market will pay, I've never really seen the distinction, both are ludicrously over-paid IMO . I assume for a reason and that's cos someone will pay them that much. If I was good enough to play for Man City (and help make them millions) or had the right talent/experience to work for an international bank (and help make them millions) then I would be able to command that much. Would I insist on only taking and few grand and leaving the rest for lower paid people to share out, hmmmmm let me think....... ?

As for cheating somewhere, I've not met anyone (including every self employed person I know) who doesn't want to minimise how much tax they pay, many but by no means all, by legal means.
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

I think its a South East or London thing. Loads of jobs for "professionals" down there seem to pay at or about that sort of level. In my experience in my working life its nothing remarkable, although as a civil servant I never got near that amount but the people I dealt with in IT companies and Lawyers/accountants did.
devon john

Post by devon john »

national pension £127 per week ,,,,,,,, rates are £40 per week ,,,,

you youngsters have this or less to look forward too ,,,,

john
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Well I used to pick up a couple of millions a year - until they changed pesetas for Euros ... :whistle:

But had i stayed in Britain working as a senior nurse in the NHS I this k I'd be on about £42K now - ir rate half that as I'd be retired ...

But the psychopath who victimised me out of my job when I was forty was on an 'unlisted' salary. That is the NHS has special grades for so-called senior staff that aren't made public.

But she what was made public is that she got a CBE for 'services' - so obviously to pays to be a psychopath with a fine grip on the greasy pole - and you wonder why the NHS is in such a mess ...

Not that I'm bitter ... seriously, I've been paid by Horizons Unlimited for getting hopelessly lost in the most amazing scenery in Spain. A filthy job by by George someone's got to do it! (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

The £80k figure quoted by Labour is for the top 5% of earners. I have a few friends who earn that sort of money, and know that there are a number of directors at work on that sort of cash as well. None of them live like Rockerfeller, there's no private helicopters, but plenty of nice cars and very nice holidays, all of them can afford to pay a little more tax.

The other suggestion from Labour, the 'Robinhood Tax' is another good one in my view. Millions of financial transactions take place in the city of London - buying and selling 'stuff' mostly tax free. A small levy on these transactions could bring in millions.

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net

Return to “THE PUB”