Average age of bike riders generally

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Speedofile

Re: Average age of bike riders generally

Post by Speedofile » Mon May 08, 2017 6:19 am

I agree with an earlier post on here about it being a UK thing. My boy got his bike last year (moped) and this year upgraded to a XT125, although he thinks its cool, he doesn't go anywhere when it's raining. We have to give him a lift!

Went to Barcelona a few months ago and everyone rides mopeds and bikes...very, very different there!

Cost, new interests and laziness I think are the main problems apart from the weather here.

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
johnnyboxer

Average age of bike riders generally

Post by johnnyboxer » Mon May 08, 2017 7:46 am

Zookman wrote:I've noticed for at least 10/15 years now, that most young uns aren't interested in bikes at all. Motorcycles just dont seem to be cool to them anymore.
Must admit though, i cant really blame them, when the biking scene is dominated by middle aged geezers like myself.
Then there's the H&S obsessed society we have now..... and of course motorcycles are very expensive toys now.
I have a 17 year old lad, he seen me around bikes all his life

At 16 he could have had a 50cc

He wasn't bothered

Now at 17 he is taking car lessons

He has no interest in riding bikes on the road and nor have his mates (despite riding MX or Trials as youth riders)

He is more into cycling/gym/girls and beer

He says his mates think bikes are uncool as they're ridden by 'Dads' and not his peers

Give it 20 years and road biking will be dead

Funny thing is I have been at SSDT in Fort William with 280 riders and I'd say at least 100 of the field was 17-25 year olds riding the Trial and road sections - many just took the test to ride the Trial and have little interest in riding a road going bike - much preferring cars or tricked up vans/pick-ups
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

The Sarge

Post by The Sarge » Mon May 08, 2017 7:55 am

It's a great post topic this and being here in France completely changes my response and reply. I was out on the big Donk and called into my local L'eclerc for fuel on Friday, where a gang of youngsters ( boys and girls) were sat around on their mopeds. One of the lads had a brand new Beta and another a retro looking Mash 50. They were laughing at my choice of clothing attire (boiler suit and open face helmet)but were genuinely interested in the bike, and what is was like riding in the UK. It did remind me of my teens and owning my Garelli Tiger X (and a seized Gilera 50)and the freedom that transport gave me, not so much about being cool, just living 4 miles to the nearest village. In the late 70's most of jumped from a 50 to 250 on 'L' plates and then the progression to a rocket over 500cc, way too complicated now. The introduction of hp restriction on new mopeds in 1978 meant mopeds were pretty pathetic and the enjoyment lost, then the later introduction of CBT, and the debacle we have today, its such an expensive route and faff compared to driving and owning a car. The funny thing is, even here you don't see the 'next bike' step like we had, there are plenty of power bikes here but again ridden by older men. There is no doubt that the different Generation is the major factor, the average teen has more interest in how they look and their social media posts than bikes or cars, I notice this more with Surfers, the youths are not in the water when its cold over winter or when the swell increases, they prefer the warmth and comfort of the sofa and an X-box, only the 'Oldies' are out there, maybe its a sadistic pleasure our generation have, enduring the worst that the weather can throw at us ??

WIBO

Post by WIBO » Mon May 08, 2017 8:36 am

sprintster wrote:
Tramp wrote:Its a uk thing...in mainland Europe its different......in france the old and young ride together on whatever they have ...simple....
Is that due to the differences in testing and weather that I mentioned though? :unsure:
The moto test is a detailed enough test but the weather is the primary factor..along with the fact that most 14 yr olds get scooters so they know from an early age what freedom it gives. Yesterday kids wanted me to rev the engine as I rode past..it's in their blood probably because they see their siblings on one too and are just familiar with motos being all around. Again the weather thing.

I think that's why I see so many females on motos too...yesterday I saw a short thin girl on a Ducati!!..in tight jeans..really tight. I like girls on motos here.

Just thought I'd mention that for no reason

:)

Will It Buff Out?

The Suit:What would you consider to be your greatest weakness?

Me: Honesty.

The Suit: Honesty? I don't think honesty could be construed as a weakness.

Me: I don't give a f**k what you think.

Alan29

Post by Alan29 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:47 am

Its cost.
Both of my sons would love to have bikes ..... but with brand new mortgages and babies they struggle to keep their heads above water financially.

gspod

Post by gspod » Mon May 08, 2017 9:17 am

When you could ride a 250 on L plates most 17 year olds I new had a bike.
Then they would give a lift to a girl and scare the sh*t out of her and put her off bikes for life. Then if they wanted a girlfriend they had to get a car because all the girls were scared.

Anyone who made the switch to bigger bikes as they got older had the money to afford both a car and a bike - so over time the interest dwindled.

As my generation now have more disposable income they have got back into the bikes of their youth or dream bikes, unfortunately the girls still aren't interested.

We've only got ourselves to blame

Africa John

Post by Africa John » Mon May 08, 2017 11:16 am

Alan29 wrote:Its cost.
Both of my sons would love to have bikes ..... but with brand new mortgages and babies they struggle to keep their heads above water financially.
Was the same in my day Alan. New bikes (KMX125, GSX600F, GSXR750L) when I started and lived with mum. When bought my first house with girlfriend in '91 the GSXR had to go and it's been second hand ever since!
:laugh:

Africa John

Post by Africa John » Mon May 08, 2017 11:17 am

AlanHolt wrote:boys still want girls but girls don't want bikes
Excellent song title in that (thumbs)

Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:46 am

WIBO wrote:
I think that's why I see so many females on motos too...yesterday I saw a short thin girl on a Ducati!!..in tight jeans..really tight. I like girls on motos here.

It added a 'certain something' to the debate (thumbs) ;) .
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you but open your mind and you see a whole new World

gspod

Post by gspod » Mon May 08, 2017 11:54 am

WIBO wrote:

This post is useless without pictures :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Return to “THE PUB”