Cheap WD-40

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Thedktor

Cheap WD-40

Post by Thedktor »

If you need a nice large 600ml can my local Tesco at Winchester (Winnal) are selling them for £3.

It can *allegedly* be used for many things including repairing BMW shaft drives and spicing up your love-life (ouch! :ohmy: )

But I'll stick to using it for squeaky hinges and the like, and the occasional splash round the chops when heading out to the pub.
- Steve

Southampton area

DR350, 349, DRZ, 701
PankGS

Re: Cheap WD-40

Post by PankGS »

Good stuff.As soon as suggest to anyone it's capable of protecting your pride and joy throughout the winter I'm quickly informed if I read what's in it your bike will certainly disintegrate .I started using it in the early 70's. I certainly never considered reading what was in it. In a long-term study it is a a capable product that does keep corrosion at bay.NOW I AWAIT THE USUAL ONSLAUGHT BUT I KNOW I'M RIGHT.
simonw

Post by simonw »

clutchspring

Post by clutchspring »

+ 1 for WD 40 I to have been using it for more years than I can remember & can not get enough of the stuff .

Ian
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

I don,t use WD 40 any more as i have been getting PX24 from work for years ;)
clutchspring wrote:+ 1 for WD 40 I to have been using it for more years than I can remember & can not get enough of the stuff .

Ian
Thedktor

Post by Thedktor »

:)

Always a good discussion topic eh!

I use it for light lubrication and "light" anti-corrosion duties, for which it works fine, and it doesn't smell so bad as some sprays when used indoors.

In fact I used it for years on my o-ring chains for trail riding - had exactly the same chain/sprocket life as when using proper chain-lube or a drip-feed oil system.

But that's off-road, I certainly wouldn't use it for road.

I now use Weldtite TF2 Aerosol with Teflon for the chain, and also for the bicycle chains as it seems to work well on them without creating a gooey greasy mess.
- Steve

Southampton area

DR350, 349, DRZ, 701
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

I bought a 5L bottle of wd40 liquid and a spray gun, at a show about 3 yrs ago and have used it on my dirtbike everywhere including chain, wiring and bodywork to make it shine. Then I read something about it making rubber swell and fail so stopped using it and bought some acf50 (bloody expensive) But after taking my Africa Twin for a service yesterday the guy told me that's all bollox! and he uses it all the time (thumbs) so that's good enough for me as I have about 2L of the stuff left! I do however now use acf50 for the wiring clips as it stays on the connectors and 'creeps' along the wires which I like, I now use GT85 on the plastics and engine casings, and keep the WD40 for chain cleaning and water displacement, but when everything else runs out i'll probably stick to just wd40 and (acf50 in small dosses) :)
Mac 60

Post by Mac 60 »

Ive used it on every bike ive ever owned and ive never had a rusty bike. Not even my old 27 year old vt600 which is still going strong today or my 600 Honda hornet i bought once as a winter hack and rode it to work and back for three years through road salt and snow as id no car then. Both bikes are being ridden yet and still in good nick. I always give my bikes a light spray after ive washed them down. Works for me and i get it free from work. (thumbs)
EarthWorm

Post by EarthWorm »

the guy told me that's all bollox! and he uses it all the time
Dibbs, It's not complete bollox, WD40 May be safe on some types of rubber, but If you get it on some seals such as the dust boot around the plunger shaft on brake master cylinders, it will swell to feck, you might not notice for a while, but when it eventually dislodges itself, you'll never get the thing to reseat.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

I'm with this article.

It some some great uses bt corrosion protection is not one of them.
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography

Return to “THE PUB”