Forest of Bowland

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
lancashirelad

Re: Forest of Bowland

Post by lancashirelad »

I seem to recall a mate of mine finding a gated road in the Wham area south of Settle??
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
Rederic

Post by Rederic »

Shidosan wrote:Hi Bowber,
I used to live in Clitheroe and remember I once came across a "gated road" in the to the
West / Southwest of Settle. It was old tarmac, passed a couple of farms and around 3 or 4 miles long, I seem to remember a little village school very near to it, I have not been able to find it either our riding or on a map. Very annoying for me, have you any idea which / where it is ??

Many thanks

Bryan
I think I know where you mean is there a farm at one end of it, it sounds like one I use now and again there is a school near the start of it as well
I can't put a map up at the moment as I am away could show you on base camp when I get back
Very often has cows wandering around in one of the fields
If your not the lead dog the view never change's
Shidosan

Post by Shidosan »

Cheers for the reply's, sure its not the Twiston / Chatburn, Rederic seems to jog the memory as does the Wham area one....
... I will start trawling the map....

Cheers all
It will be alright in the end.... if it's not alright.. it's not the end !
Shidosan

Post by Shidosan »

OK All, well I spent a couple of hours riding around last night to find the gated road ..... still could not find it.... will try again over weekend....
Cheers
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

Another with the FoB as a backyard. The only gated roads I know of are: Littledale to Wray via Haylot. Marked on OS maps as an RUPP (red dots) https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Cross ... 104489!3e0

then there's a few to the north of Tosside / Wigglesworth that may be the one's you are looking for as this is to the South & South West of Settle. Several (very) minor roads around here some of which sometimes have gates on them.

edit, google reroutes the link when I paste it here. Head from Caton towards Roeburndale via Littledale or Crossgill keeping the wind farm on your left over a couple of cattle grids after the second grid there's a gate on after about 200-300 yards on your right, go through down a steep hill. Then there's 4 more gates and a FO big ford (in wet weather anyway). When you come out at the junction by the last gate (heading east) it is the Salter Fell road just near Salter Farm.
Rederic

Post by Rederic »

Shidosan wrote:OK All, well I spent a couple of hours riding around last night to find the gated road ..... still could not find it.... will try again over weekend....
Cheers
This is just south of Settle there are a couple of buildings close by that might of been Schools

[center]
IMG_1352.jpg
IMG_1352.jpg (359.61 KiB) Viewed 2002 times
[/center]
If your not the lead dog the view never change's
Shidosan

Post by Shidosan »

I think Redric might just have it... if I get chance I will have a look up tomorrow (her indoors permitting) if not the one it's still worth a look.
Cheers

ps not a bad backyard eh !!
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

Shidosan wrote: ps not a bad backyard eh !!
It sure is nice up there.

Only discovered it last summer on a day out with the family.
Had a lovely Sunday lunch in the Inn at Whitewell then went for a walk across the stepping stones down the river. Sat on the bank and watched a guy fly fishing whist a couple of deer waded through the water in the distance.
My youngest daughter excitedly said "Dad, Dad, where are we again?"
"Forest of Bowland" I said.
She replied "Right. I'm going to put a reminder in my phone to come and live here in 10 years!"

Return to “THE PUB”